PF-Day26-Mom
pagefrocks, Jan 31, 2022
Description:
Credits:
Paper Fun 3 Templates by Scrapping With Liz
M3 May 2018
M3 July 2021 Add On MMA by Little Butterfly Wings

(350 Words)
For Mom's 75th birthday this month, my sister put together a collection of 75 lifetime memories to share
with her. This prompted great conversations for us as we remembered some of these randoms moments from
our childhood that I had long forgot. What it really highlighted was the series of little moments, cliche
as it is, that make up a lifetime. It helped me realize how my Mom perhaps knew this and with often very
limited resources, took great effort and pride to create those moments and memories for us. My mother is
so creative, and in turn I embraced many of these same creative gestures in my own mothering of the boys.
Favorite include handmade costumes at Halloween, growing and preserving foods, food gifts, repurposing
furniture and home decor, creative birthday parties and more.

I recall the year Mom made me the most elaborate Indian princess costume that was hand sewn, beaded and
fringed. Another year it was a princess complete with a head piece made of cardboard, foil and lengths
of purple tulle that reached the floor.

In this photo, she is wearing a thrifted hat adorned with added flowers. This is my mom's style and I love
it. She is strong yet feminine. Classy yet resourceful. She was always an avid sewer, self taught. She
decorated our home with handmade curtains and pillows. We have a ton of photos showing us (my sister and
I along with her) wearing coordinated or matching outfits for church and holidays. I didn't realize it as
I was raising my boys, but I emulated a lot of these sames practices with my growing family.

Looking back, I also realize the wall she often hit as a woman in the 1960's and 1970's. She was an
activist for the purest of reasons. She wanted a different world for her three daughters. She was truly
part of creating the opportunities that I often take for granted today. She took us to rallies and
protests, often without Dad's knowledge. She helped me understand that we are all responsible for
creating the world we deserve.
    • cfile
      Happy 75th Birthday to your Mom and what a wonderful tribute to her! I agree with thrifty-ness and how Mom's had to do alot themselves for the kids.. very crafty. I too remember homemade costumes and dresses! Beautiful photo of your Mom!

Thank you for sharing and for playing along with MOC Day 26 Rmemberance/Tribute challenge! Well Done!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 10
    Uploaded By:
    pagefrocks
    Date:
    Jan 31, 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    248.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).