michelepixels

Moc7-31TNconnections

Moc7-31TNconnections
michelepixels, Jan 31, 2019
Description:
wood background from Beautiful Mess by Etc By Danyale
colorful and white papers from Karma2 collab by Etc By Danyale & Little Butterfly Wings
pink tag from Snapshot by Allison Pennington
pink arrow from Karma5 by Etc & LBW
Mad Stitches by Etc By Danyale
sister/brother word art from Family Lines by Kristin Aagard
years ago word bubble from Its About Time: Yesterday blog hop by Paula Kesselring
blank word strip from Stripped Strips by Allison Pennington
good times word strip from Goofball by Kristin Aagard
staples from Karma3 by Etc & LBW
family wood piece from Year In Review by Mommyish
scatters from Forget Me Not by Etc By Danyale
forever bead and flowers from Time Flies by Pink Reptile Designs

my journaling (609 words):

The timing of unexpected connections is of paramount importance having far reaching effects you could never have planned. If we had succeeded in conceiving in Europe as we’d tried, Rhiannon, who was conceived the following month, would not have existed. If Robert’s parents hadn’t moved to Virginia, we wouldn’t have followed, which could have meant we stayed in California and I continued teaching and our lives would have been so different. At the end of the first day of my Psychology of Learning class, if I’d walked a different way or been too shy to chat, maybe I would not have met Mike, who showed me a lot of the world and helped me figure out life for three years of college. And there are so many inconsequential unexpected connections that I wouldn’t even remember but have subtly and cumulatively shaped my life. Maybe I chose to walk a path in the grocery store that had me run into an old friend I hadn’t seen in years and she said something that inspired me.
I think the most important unexpected connection that has affected my life is the meeting of my parents. They met when he drove by her house one day when she was outside. He could have driven by just minutes earlier or later and missed her, or she could easily have not been walking there at that time. Either one of them could have been too shy or not in a friendly mood. If they hadn’t made that connection, so much would be different. Their lives would have been different. And a long list of people including myself would not have existed: my siblings, my niece and nephew, and my three kids. My high school friends might have been a duo instead of a trio. The students I taught for five years in the 1990’s would have had a different teacher. FAHA, the homeschool group I created in 2003, ran for a decade, and which continues on today, and has been important to numerous families, would not exist. Who would have been Heather’s walking buddy for the last decade? Who would be the new box office worker Kris and Wendy would be getting to know this month instead? I bet my parents were not thinking at all about how much was riding on their decision to speak to one another that day over 50 years ago.
Of course, this kind of unexpected connection happens all the time. What if I hadn’t decided to try out Prodigy in 1994? Or I did, but happened to miss seeing Robert’s personal ad? What if my great grandparents hadn’t decided to leave Hastings, Nebraska in the 1910’s? Even if they still had my grandmother in 1923, she wouldn’t have met the man who became my mom’s dad in San Diego in 1947. Without even thinking about it, Robert and I imitated my great grandparents far-reaching decision to move from Nebraska to California when we moved from California to Virginia in 2000. Even if we had produced the same children, their lives would have been different. It’s so expensive in California, I might have continued teaching and sent them to school. They would have had different influences, much less time to spend on their interests like singing and acting, and had completely different friends. Thinking of all the wonderful people we’ve known in Virginia, even though sometimes I wish I had stayed in California, for political reasons and to have kept in better touch with my family, I feel sad to think of not having known my Virginia friends and having all the wonderful experiences we’ve had here. So I’m grateful.
Aerobigirl likes this.
    • cfile
      Great page Michele, and I am glad especially for you that the last day was a journaling challenge. Wonderful journaling too Michele. I always look at life like "It's a Wonderful Life" movie.. just as you said here about all the if / thens.. you never know how many lives are touched just by one person and the dominoes that ensue. I love the wood background and all of your photos. Wonderful page!!!
    • michelepixels
      @cfile You have good eyesight. I meant to copy-paste the journaling into the credits and will do that when I get back home. I was rushing to post before taking my daughter to the dentist, where I am now typing this.
      And yes, this idea of the far reaching effects of our choices is something I’ve mulled over a bit. I even blogged about it a few years ago. It boggles my mind. Makes me appreciate life even more.
      cfile likes this.
    • lmccandless
      Michele, thank you for embracing this challenge in such a meaningful way. Your amazing journaling is masterful, thoughtful storytelling. I love to think about your great-grandchildren reading this someday and how powerful it will be for them to know your thoughts on the arc of your life. The design itself is really beautiful too. Great work!!
    • michelepixels
      @lmccandless Thank you so much Laura! I was a little worried maybe I hadn't understood the assigned topic. Thanks again for MOC. It's truly an awesome time with such creative challenges!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 7
    Uploaded By:
    michelepixels
    Date:
    Jan 31, 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    429.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1000px
    Height:
    1000px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).