djp332

MOC Day26 - Tradition/Heritage

MOC Day26 - Tradition/Heritage
djp332, Jan 26, 2018
Description:
template - https://the-lilypad.com/store/Artsy-Journal-Templates-14.html,
kit - https://the-lilypad.com/store/Love-Lines-Kit.html
journaling -
This is a photo of my grandparents, Hilda and John Stokes, taken in their yard in Clairton, Pennsylvania probably around 1930. My John sent it to me several years ago, and it is the only picture That I have ever seen of my grandmother. I like to think that she is pregnant with my mother in this picture. She is only 21 years old, married just a year. 2 years after my mother was born, she gave birth to another daughter and just 3 years after that she had twin boys. All before the age of 24. What is the sad part to this story is that just 6 months after the twins were born, she was dead. She died on November 21 1935. I remember when my mother told us how her mother had died so young. She had just found out that she was pregnant again. That would be 5 babies in 5 years, so hard for anyone, I would think. How sad that she realized early on that she could not possibly take care of another baby, and that her only way out was a self-induced abortion using a knitting needle. How different the lives our my mother and her siblings would have been had this not happened. So many possibilities. This is a big factor in while now, after all these years, my whole family adamantly supports a women’s right to choose to have a safe, legal abortion if needed.
blueberries likes this.
    • QuiltyMom
      What a precious photo. I'm glad you at least have that one of her. {{Hugs}}
      djp332 likes this.
    • blueberries
      Beautiful page and picture.
      djp332 likes this.
    • cookingmylife
      May we never go back to your grandmother's times. Beautifully written story. She really was a lovely young woman.
      djp332 likes this.
    • Iowan
      I just gasped as I read your heartfelt story. I am so saddened by what happened to this woman. My mom had 5 kids in 5 years and it was not a good situarion. Thanks for much for sharing this difficult time with us. The tree in the background is perfect and the photos is wonderful. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
      djp332 likes this.
    • michelepixels
      Heart wrenching story. But a very important one to tell.
      djp332 likes this.
    • rchansen
      How wonderful that you have this photo. And how awful that your grandmother lost her life so young. Beautiful page.
      djp332 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    djp332
    Date:
    Jan 26, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    200.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).