jnac916

MOC 2021 day 11

MOC 2021 day 11
jnac916, Jan 18, 2021
Description:
Trust the Journey: Thrive Bundle by Rachel Jefferies & Studio Basic Designs
1385 words - Journaling:
Our small hike to Faery Falls was an eventful one. Most of the trail is an old fire road. As you got closer to the waterfall, you went off the road and onto a trail through the trees. The trail went along the Ney Spring Creek. At a point right before you get to the Faery Falls, there is a part of the trail that is really narrow. You had to walk that part one person at a time. You had to watch your footing too because the area was covered with dirt. On one side of the trail there is a rock wall and on the other side was a steep ravine that dropped down approximately 20 – 40 feet to the creek. (That is our approximation.) We made it to Faery Falls and it was so beautiful. We spent some time at the falls taking pictures and just enjoying the beauty of the nature surrounding us. It was as we were leaving the falls that our trip took a turn. Our kids were in front of Jeremy and I as we decided to follow the trail back. Our kids got to that narrow stretch on the trail where the dirt was and the steep ravine. I happen to look up from my feet in time to see my son fall. I see his red shirt and he screams. He is falling down the ravine towards the creek. My heart dropped. All these different thoughts of what could possibly happen passed through my mind. Will we be able to reach him? Will he be in one piece? Will he break any bones? I hope he doesn’t hit his head. What if he hits his head and he gets taken down the creek by the water? How deep was the water again? These questions literally went through my mind in a matter of milliseconds. While I was still trying to process what I was seeing, Jeremy runs forward to see if he can possibly grab Donovan before he went to far. We were too far behind to even grab him. Knowing that there was dirt on the trail and already going full speed, my husband knew there was no way to stop himself and he also knew he would not be able to grab our son in time. My husband goes off the trail down the ravine to do after our son. In my perspective, it looks like he was jumping off the trail to go down. At this moment the thought that crossed my mind is that I just lost both of my boys. I walked up to where my daughter was, standing there in shock. She looked at me and started saying, “I am so sorry mom. I didn’t know. I didn’t even have time to try and grab him. His face mom, I saw his face as he fell. He was so scared. What should I have done? Should I go down too?” I told her that we were going to stay exactly where we were and watch at the bottom near the creek to see what happens. While I was looking down and waiting to see what was going on, two women came along, so my daughter and I move over as much as possible to let them pass. We noted that my son fell and that my husband went down after him. They seemed like it was no big deal and continued on their way. At the time it didn’t bother me, but why would you not ask if there was a way to help? All of this happened in such a small amount of time, but it seemed like it took forever. Finally, I see my husband look up at me with our son in his arms. He gave me a thumbs up. Then I saw the route he was going in order to get back to us. I told my daughter to follow me slowly back down the trail to the waterfall. My husband and son had to cross the creek and walk towards the fall and then cross back over the creek to meet us. My daughter and I were by the waterfall when Jeremy and Donovan crossed back over to our side. My son looked at me with tears in his eyes and I grabbed him and hugged him. I looked him over and didn’t see any blood. None of his bones were broken and he was not having pain anywhere. Then I looked at Jeremy. I noticed when he was come back toward the waterfall, that there were a few trickles of blood dripping down from his head from under his hat. I thought he had just scratched his head on his way down the ravine. Now that he was next to me sitting on a rock while we assessed what had happened, I saw that there was a lot more than just one or two little trickles. I asked him to remove his hat so I could see where the blood was coming from. I could see the source of blood was near the top of his head. I could not see how bad the cut was, but I knew it was bad enough that he would need to go to the hospital. It also made me nervous able to get back to our hotel. I poured some water from my water bottle on his head to try and rinse it off so I could see better. That didn’t help much. My husband’s arms were all bloody and scratched up as well. At this point my husband said that he just wanted to get back to the hotel room and get cleaned up. I told him that he needed to go to the hospital. He said, “No. I don’t think it is that bad. Let’s just get back to our room.” We walked back to our vehicle. I told him if he felt funny or tired at all, that we should stop and sit. Luckily the walk back to the car was not very far. I drove back to the hotel. We got back to our room and as he showered to clean up, I reassessed my son. I cleaned my son up with water and a washcloth. I also tried to keep checking on my husband during the shower because I knew he had a nasty cut his on his head and there was a lot of blood. After my husband got out of the shower, he finally agreed to go to the hospital because he knew it was pretty bad. Emma was 14 years old and I knew I could leave her and Donovan at the hotel while I took Jeremy to the hospital. I told Emma I would text her to keep her updated and that there were snacks and drinks in the room. When we got to the hospital, there was nobody in the waiting room. My husband was taken back immediately. I was not able to go back with him because of COVID. After a few hours, we were able to leave the hospital, with 9 stitches in his head. There was no internal head trauma. His head did heal after a few weeks. There are still scars on Jeremy’s arms from the gashes he got going down the ravine. Donovan felt so much guilt for falling. He cried when Jeremy and I got back from the hospital. We had to tell him it is ok. We were all here. There was no broken bones and things could have been a LOT worse. We also talked to him about how we need to pay attention to where are feet are going when we are on a hike. We hope he learned something from that incident. We found out the next day why this had happened. It was all because Donovan had picked up a rock from Faery Falls. He liked it because he thought it looked like a heart. He had accidently dropped in on that narrow part of the trail. When he tried to pick it up, he lost his balance. Emma had picked up the rock and put it in her pack without us even knowing. We saved the rock and Jeremy’s messed up hat he was wearing.
    • bestcee
      Oh my gosh! How scary!! I'm glad everyone was okay in the end. What a sweet sister to pick up the rock for her brother. Thanks for playing in my challenge!
    • jk703
      Holy cow, what an ordeal! So glad that everyone was ok, and just a few stitches needed! So scary! I really love that you just used the words, paper and stitching. With so much there, it begs to be read.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    jnac916
    Date:
    Jan 18, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    161.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).