Meg

MOC 2021 | Day 11

MOC 2021 | Day 11
Meg, Jan 13, 2021
Description:
Credits:
Artifact by Sara Gleason

Translation:
"When I was 23 years old, in 2001, I lost my maternal grandfather, and it really affected me. It was the first time I’d ever lost someone close to me. At that moment, I felt the need to reconstruct my roots, my history. So I decided to start the genealogy of my family, on the side of my grandfather who I had just lost. It wasn’t easy, because I didn't know where to start. I spoke to my grandmother, who helped me a little with her memories. A cousin had also started some research. At first, the research was complicated because I had to write to the municipal archives. After a few months, I stopped searching. When my maternal grandmother died, I took up my research where I left off, but I quickly gave up. I had other concerns, not least because I had just learned that we were expecting our first child.
Years have gone by without me sticking my nose back into my family tree. But in May 2013, when my paternal grandfather passed away, I again felt the need to go back to my origins. I bought a genealogy program, Heredis. It was easier to list all the people and associate them with each other. Most birth, marriage and death certificates can be found online on dedicated sites. You often have to travel to see them. I started with the branch on my paternal grandfather's side. I used to spend hours researching, looking for ancestors. It is already necessary to know where they lived, in which country, in which region and then in which town or village. My ancestors on my father's side finally moved very little. I was able to focus my research on a few villages. Research is done by year or by decade.
First, there are the tables which list all births, marriages and deaths of individuals in the village by year and alphabetical order. Once we’ve got a last name on the list, we’ll be able to search for the deed. Each volume contains a lexicon for each year and type of act. This will allow us to find the exact date of the act and thus virtually flip through until we find the act. All these archives are very large and large handwritten books that have been scanned by Mormons for over 40 years. Birth and death certificates include the surname and forenames of the person concerned, those of the parents, the age and sometimes the place of birth of the parents and their occupation.
Marriage certificates are much more comprehensive because they include the surnames, forenames, date and place of birth of the spouses; the surnames, forenames, place and sometimes date of birth of the parents; the occupations of all persons; and the surnames, forenames, age, occupation and relationship of the witnesses. All these valuable data allow us to discover new ancestors and step by step go back in time. These searches have allowed me to find as many as 1,000 ancestors in direct line or not, and to go back to the present time in 1639. What is becoming more and more complicated are the acts written in Latin which are very difficult to read."
KarenB likes this.
    • bestcee
      I love how you added the old fashioned writing underneath to complement your story. Explaining your process in the story really helps to know how hard or easy it is depending on the timeline. Good luck with the Latin! Thanks for playing in my challenge!
      Meg likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Meg
    Date:
    Jan 13, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    900px
    Height:
    900px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).