Claire Grantham

Inspiration: May 2021 - Lady Colin Campbell

Inspiration: May 2021 - Lady Colin Campbell
Claire Grantham, May 15, 2021
Description:
Great idea for a challenge.
I have always loved this portrait of Lady Colin Campbell and it serves as a constant source of inspiration. She isn't for everyone and her story has some questionable moral aspects, dig deeper and you realise that most of the stories were manufactured by her Husband. For me she is truly an example of early girl power.

My journaling reads -
From the first moment I saw her at The National Portrait Gallery in London I fell head over heels in love. I hadn’t even read the little plaque yet and when I did that was it!
Born Elizabeth Gertrude Blood, she married Lord Colin Campbell in 1881, but they were divorced in 1886 amid accusations that she had ‘cavorted’ with four other men.
She was ostracised by polite society, but made a spectacular re-entry into society with a very popular book on fly-fishing!
This portrait painted in 1884 by Giovanni Boldini looks like it could have been painted recently, the cut of the dress and her impish smile are not very 1884!
Her boldness at sitting for this style of portrait and her re-invention post-scandal are inspiring to me, she was just her and I don’t think women were ‘allowed’ a personality in the 1800s.
I always have a framed print of this portrait in my home, as a reminder to always be me, no matter what.

I used (all the things)
FDD - Memory Lane Templates (modified)
Allison Pennington:
Kitteh
My Cup of Tea - Patts & Backs
Wonderland
PRD:
Brand New Year
Photographic
Younicorn
Just Jaimee x Mommyish - iCaptured
Kristin Aagard - Happy 40+ Birthday
Tree City, SeattleSheri and trekmom like this.