jam-on-toast

Good Parenting

Good Parenting
jam-on-toast, Nov 24, 2021
Description:
Template - All Things Bright Dressed Up by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs
https://the-lilypad.com/store/All-Things-Bright-Dressed-Up-Digital-Scrapbook-Template.html

Kit - Current Mood by NBK Design https://the-lilypad.com/store/Current-Mood.html
Easy Peasy Current Mood Cards No1 https://the-lilypad.com/store/Easy-Peasy-Cards1-currentmood.html

My entry for the journaling challenge this month... This November I got to see my parents after more than two years, and yes, the visit brought back many memories, but it seems the older I get, the more I realize just how lucky I am because of all the things I don't remember - and by that I mean all the things that never happened - quarreling, arguing, family drama, petty comments, gossip... - all the things I learned later in life my parents had been shielding us from.

Journaling reads:

One of the most amazing things about my childhood is that I grew up believing my life was perfect. We had pancakes for dinner and Saturday trips to the airport to look at planes, I spent weekends at my grandmother's and summers at the cottage. It wasn't until years later that I learned of my parents' financial struggles and tensions with in-laws.
Although I remember being loved and cared for, I have very few recollections of what my life was as a child. My very first memory is from when I was three years old - younger than I am in the photo on this page. It is around Christmas time and I am holding a bowl of ice-cold water as my mother is wiping blood from my baby brother's face after some sort of an accident. It must be because of this memory that I vividly remember the small two-room flat on the eighth floor we lived in and that the four of us slept in the smaller room, the bedroom - which sounded super grand, especially considering that we - the kids - were not allowed to play in there. I can still see the tiny entrance hall where I used to wait for my dad to come home so I could tell him of the myriad ways my younger brother had annoyed me that day, and after all these years his voice still echoes in my head - and what did you do to annoy him? I remember dancing with my mom and how she loved brushing my hair. But somehow I don't remember the crocodile that was my favorite toy...

My parents did the most amazing job protecting my brother and me from all the family drama unfolding around us and I hope to follow in their steps.
Karen likes this.
    • Nemla
      I like your page a lot. Both the journaling it self and the LO. It sounds like your parents really understood what was important in life ,and that is a great thing to have in your arsenal for the rest of your life.
    • bestcee
      I love all the little details you included in your journaling! Pancakes for dinner, and looking at airplanes. I adore that you would tell your dad how your brother annoyed you, and he would ask what did you do? That made me smile. Your page is beautiful, and an amazing reflection of a happy childhood. Thanks for playing in the November Journaling Challenge.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Journaling Challenge
    Uploaded By:
    jam-on-toast
    Date:
    Nov 24, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    222.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).