https://the-lilypad.com/store/Good-Stuff-Papers.html
https://the-lilypad.com/store/Good-Stuff-Elements.html
Caramel WA - KAagard - Brain Freeze
NBC Peacock - Wikipedia
Bisquick image - gianteagle.com
Font - Behind Blue Eyes
    • Joan K
      Journaling Text:
      Grandpa Clarence Noon, (Great Aunt) Sr. Roseanne Noon and Grandma Nina Noon. This is one of the last photos I have of the remaining members of their generation together. By this time, Grandpa's brothers Joe, Art, Alph and his sister Annie had passed. Grandpa and Grandpa would pass in the next few years, but Sr. Roseanne lived to a very old age of nearly 105, passing in December 1999.
      Of the siblings, Grandpa was the only one to marry; he eloped with Nina who was just 16 at the time. They went on to have 8 children and over 50 grandchildren. The children included my mother who gave birth to 13 of the grandchildren. My grandparents were not very directly involved in our lives - we saw them maybe 3 or 4 times per year. They lived on a farm about a 45 minute drive away. Even though my relationship with them was very different than mine is with my grandchildren, I remember that visiting them was always pleasant. We looked forward to being able to watch TV at their house, since we did not have a television. It was at their house that I first saw the NBC Peacock, in living color no less!
      I also have fond memories of grandpa giving my parents a bag of caramel candies at the end of each visit for us kids to share on the ride home. There was always discussion, but never really fighting about who would get the one or two chocolate candies in the bag! I still think of him when I see the individually wrapped cube-shaped caramel candies.
      My grandma is remembered for her Bisquick cookies - not the tastiest dessert, but when you're trying to provide a little something sweet for a lot of mouths, that was probably the best she could muster on a limited budget.
      Sister Roseanne had many stories to share about her students as she taught for many years in a Dominican school. She spent her later years at a retirement convent in Dubuque, Iowa. We visited her there several times. One of my favorite memories, probably from the early seventies, is of my mom making a big picnic lunch and crowding the whole gang into the station wagon for the roughly 4 hour trip, only to discover when we got there that we had left the summer sausage sandwiches back home. Much later, probably in the late eighties or early nineties, I took my own children to see Sister. That trip was memorable because I was pulled over by a police officer in Columbus, WI. My kids we worried that I would have to go to jail, even though he had stopped me for a burned out headlight! It’s still good for a chuckle 25 years later.
      elk2009 likes this.
    • elk2009
      @Joan K quite an amazing story Joan!!!105 Wow!!! and you have quite a large family....so jealous! lol
      Joan K likes this.
    • Iowan
      ah the peacock, I had forgotten about that. Having lived in Iowa for 40 years, I made it to Dubuque a few times, I recall it being very hilly and quite beautiful. You did a nice job sharing your reminiscences. Great photo and great paper grouping. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    Joan K
    Date:
    Jan 27, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    199.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).