wvsandy

School Zone

Tags:
School Zone
wvsandy, Jan 11, 2021
Description:
Pink Reptile Designs, Get Your Read On Papers & Elements
Pink Reptile Designs, Noted Elements (ribbon)
Kim Jensen, School Zone Elements
Scrapping With Liz, Artsy Journal Template 22
Font: Scrap Casual
557 Words

Journaling: "I have always loved Math and I have always been fascinated by the idea of computers. My college didn’t have any programs in computers in 1964. So I went to a teachers college to study Math and English. I loved the logic and structure of math and the diagramming of sentences. I quickly ran into the liberal bias of the English Department where the only good ideas were their ideas and moved on to Social Studies.
By my junior year, I was “in love” and got married. Several kids later, in 1972,I was completing school while pregnant with my third child. This was the practical part of my education so I had to do student teaching in a local public high school. I enjoyed the subjects because I was able to teach algebra and geometry. I was very frustrated though because I felt the kids weren’t motivated to learn. I had gone to parochial schools and loved the challenge of school. These kids didn’t seem to have the same experience that I did.
I remember hearing one girl crying because she had just found out that her sister was actually her Mother. Another time, a girl was distressed because her brother had just died from sniffing PAM. These kids had lives I knew nothing about. I felt that they had not been taught respect for themselves or others. They wanted to learn, to survive but they preferred to memorize rather than be challenged to think for themselves.
During this time, I had to leave my two sons at a baby-sitter for the day. This was especially hard since they were 3 years and 9 months old. Each day when I dropped them off, she would plop the youngest in a bouncy chair and when I returned he would still be in a bouncy chair. This always bothered me.
In the last month of the school semester, both of the boys got pneumonia and were hospitalized. This was a scary time watching them be put through breathing treatments. Of course I missed my teaching assignments and was worried that I would not be able to graduate. I didn’t drive so I was always dependent on someone else to get me around.
The kids got better after a few weeks and I was able to graduate. The next three years I taught part time at a local parochial school. The class attention span was better but there were still lots of issues with students and their parents. I think that I decided that I liked teaching but I didn’t like the classroom setting. I went on to do tutoring and staying home with my kids.
By 1980, my unhappy marriage was an issue. I was working as a cashier at a local spaghetti house and I had started back to school. This time I was able to take some computer classes. I took my first programming class in FORTRAN and fell in love. Here was the logic and structure that I have always loved. I started working for the Med School doing data entry for a research project. I made a connection with a company that was hiring employees with any degree who could be taught to be programmers. I was hired at $19,500 to do what I loved. That was the beginning of a wonderful career with computers."
Scrapping with Liz likes this.
    • flowersgal
      Lovely layout, Sandy. I enjoyed reading about your "educational experiences." Congratulations to you for persevering until you found a field that excited you and made you happy.
      wvsandy likes this.
    • garrynkim
      I loved reading the round about way to your career. I love that you've included your starting salary. Great storytelling and layout.
      wvsandy likes this.
    • Saar
      What a perfect layout. I love the photo and page design. And I love that curly ribbon and its shadows. Beautiful work.
      wvsandy likes this.
    • bestcee
      I love the happy colors you used with the graduation photo. You've had a long journey through education! Are you still working with computers? Thanks for playing in my challenge!
      wvsandy likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lilypad Challenges & Scraps
    Uploaded By:
    wvsandy
    Date:
    Jan 11, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    243.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).