flowersgal

Day-11_Tell-Me-a-Story_flowersgal_web

Day-11_Tell-Me-a-Story_flowersgal_web
flowersgal, Jan 11, 2021
Description:
Day 11 - MOC 2021 - Tell Me a Story (731 words)
Credits:
Digital Scrapbook Template - Artsy Journal 1 | Scrapping with Liz (the-lilypad.com)
Kohi Kit by The Lilypad designer Lynn Grieveson (the-lilypad.com)
key to my heart (kit) by sahlin studio (the-lilypad.com)
Lilypad Collab - Roots: Digital Scrapbooking Kits | Scrapbook Kits – The Lilypad (the-lilypad.com)
Forever Joy - 2020 kit (now retired) - magnifying glass

Journaling reads:

My genealogical journey started in 1965 when I was pregnant with our first child. Jim had a boss who invited us for dinner. His wife asked me about my family history and soon learned that it was definitely incomplete by her standards. You see, she was into genealogy big time as she came from an illustrious family where one of her ancestors had been the governor of Mississippi and she was, understandably, proud of her heritage. Soon after she gifted me with the Gilbert Doane book (there were very few genealogy books at that time and I was not aware of any of them). She set in motion a journey that would consume me off-and-on for the rest of my life. The book she gave me was the third edition which was published in 1960 but the original was published in 1937!

Having always been a good student and eager to learn, I attempted, as best I could, to follow the instructions in the book. I interviewed relatives, asking question after question. I filled in family trees on printed forms. I took notes. I was pursuing my father’s line with a passion. Unfortunately in my ignorance of what would later be important to my research, I was trying to get the chart filled out. The people were names on lines on a form -- not flesh and blood people that I wanted to know more about. Life was soon filled with a baby, jobs and limited funds. We lived in Memphis, Tennessee a three hour drive from where I grew up.

Somewhere along the line it occurred to me that if my direct ancestors couldn’t tell me something, maybe collateral relatives could (the brothers and sisters of my own ancestors). So I started asking about them. Where did they live? Could I get addresses so that I might write them asking for information? Those letters I typed on a manual typewriter and I learned to make a question sheet that could be filled out and returned in the stamped self-addressed envelope I included. I waited and watched the mailbox for replies. Sometimes I received one. Often I did not. Occasionally I got one that basically said “mind your own business.” But with every letter I asked for names and addresses of others who might be able to help and kept writing. I also learned that I needed to visit courthouses in the area where my ancestors had lived and search records there. Oh, but that meant time and travel and money to do so. Usually it meant going back to the county where I grew up and the adjoining ones. My mother was totally unsympathetic to my efforts and got her “nose out of joint” when I visited there and wanted to take off and go to the courthouse. But my dad was willing to take me to visit distant relatives and so I progressed bit by bit and have some happy memories of this time we spent together.

Today’s starting genealogists have no idea what research was like before the days of home computers and internet, before the launching of Ancestry and Find A Grave, before the plethora of published materials.

In the intervening years, I have made many trips to conferences and workshops to learn; to courthouses and state archives, to the LDS library in Salt Lake City. I’ve expanded my search to include maternal lines and connections. I’ve spent thousands of hours reading old and faded handwriting hunched over a microfilm reader. I have many “brick-wall problems” where hours, days and weeks of research did not yield the information I needed. I have experienced burn out and put the whole thing all aside for several years. But I have priceless memories of far flung distance relatives I have met or communicated with who were gracious in welcoming and sharing.

Now I realize I need to clearly define my goals, limit my scope and get busy organizing and writing up my research -- a monumental task. I owe it to those who have helped me through the years to do that and place it in repositories where generations who come after me will be able to access it. It means that in 2021 I must limit some other things I enjoy and get busy on documenting this often frustrating but always fascinating search for my ancestors.
mary kate likes this.
    • mary kate
      Great page. I love that title with the ornate stamped frame, and the tree, and magnifying glass. I really enjoyed reading about your genealogical journey -- and yes, the internet has made the research so much easier!
      flowersgal likes this.
    • cfile
      Fabulous story and wonderful journaling of it Patsy!! My mom did that for both hers and my Dad’s family so I am lucky I gave a lot of that .. ancestry is so interesting!! Wow you really did research!! I adore your composition the tree for your roots and the magnifying glass to represent your search.. love this so much! Thanks for sharing!!
      flowersgal likes this.
    • garrynkim
      Genealogical research can be a never ending task. I 'm so glad you've taken it on and made it a life long learning. Just a beautiful page.
      flowersgal likes this.
    • HavaDrPepper
      I started out with information handed down from my grandmother that did her research in the 1950's. But I also labored over microfilm machines at various libraries with genealogy sections and cemeteries. That was in the 90's. So I totally get where you are coming from. Thanks for sharing your story and great layout!
      flowersgal likes this.
    • mcurtt
      Amazing! I have always liked knowing about my family history, but I've never been a serious researcher. On DH's side of the family, his paternal grandmother's niece was into it big time and we have copies of her records, documentation in this country going back to the 1600's. On my side of the family, one cousin shared his database. He would do much of his research at the Dallas LDS Library. He & his wife travelled to Poland to look for ancestors. He was successful in finding family, our 2nd cousins. (Think of the 2016 wedding we attended there). I think it is fascinating, but more than a FT job. Wonderfully documented page here!
      flowersgal likes this.
    • LynnG
      Great choice of story and great page. I need to get back into it this year too :-)
      flowersgal likes this.
    • Saar
      What a great story! I love how you documented it. I love the paper layers and all the details. What a great memory to keep.
      flowersgal likes this.
    • Angela Toucan
      lovely page
      flowersgal likes this.
    • Cherylndesigns
      How interesting and what a wonderful story you have to tell. I love the look of your page and your interpretation of the challenge.
      flowersgal likes this.
    • bestcee
      I enjoyed reading about your journey into family history. I remember watching my mom on the microfiche machine at the library and all her binders (she still has them!) from the courts. Computers and websites may make things easier, but there are still times you have to go in person. Thanks for playing in my challenge!
      flowersgal likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lilypad Challenges & Scraps
    Uploaded By:
    flowersgal
    Date:
    Jan 11, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    240.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    464px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).