KAPOH

SUPER-DUPER

SUPER-DUPER
KAPOH, Jun 2, 2020
Description:
This was done for a journaling challenge at another site. JOURNALING:
It was the mid 1960's. I was newly graduated from high school and attending THE Ohio State University. My sister was working at the local Abbott's Super Duper grocery store as a part-time checkout clerk. When she and some friends decided to take a vacation together, she asked her boss, Jim Grace, if I could sub in for her while she was gone. I don't remember my job training, but I DO remember my sister returned from her vacation and we worked at the store together for a short time before she left. I stayed for a couple of years before getting my job at the local newspaper.
MEMORIES: This was back in the day when grocery check-out involved more than just passing an item over a bar-code reader. We actually had to push buttons on a big cash register and pull a lever to record the sale on the roll of paper inside the register. When the sale was over, the cash drawer would open up, we'd take the money handed to us (yes, REAL money), and we had to figure out how much change to return to the customer. It was the practice at this store to recite the price we were entering as we slid the items down a small incline to the area where, if we were lucky, another employee, the "bag boy" (usually a boy) would put the items in a paper grocery sack(s) and carry the items out to the customer's car. We cashiers sometimes had to bag the groceries, too. One time, the power went out. We had to open the side of the register and hand crack each entry as we made it! Another time, around Thanksgiving, I made the mistake of going to the store to shop. The Assistant Manager, Bill Elzey, saw me in the crowded store and asked if I could come in and help out on the registers. I went home, changed into my uniform, and returned to the craziness of the pre-thanksgiving grocery shopping madness.
Its hard to believe the store that was a huge part of my old neighborhood for 55 years has now been closed for a decade.
CREDITS: PHOTOS: Pinterest, from Pinterest by Lois Kruckenberg, and WikiPedia; LYNN GRIEVESON KITS: "Worn Photo Edges" "Worn Page Edges"; "Nordland"; FONT: Comic Sans
KarenB likes this.
    • Angela Toucan
      I like how you added the worn look to the photos. Great journaling
    • SharLamb
      I was never a checker, but I know what you are talking about...I remember seeing most of this. It still galls us when an employee of a store, restaurant, etc., cannot give change without the help of a computer/calculator, and then adding insult to injury, puts the change ON TOP of the paper money! Change should ALWAYS be put in the customer’s hands, then the paper money on top. When clerks do it the wrong way, I draw my hand back and ask them to please give me the change first. And bag boys helping us to the car! They will still do it, but now they don’t even ASK if you’d like help out. You have to ask THEM. Man! Do I sound like a crazy old lady or what? LOL

Anyway your page is awesome...the photos SO wonderful, and the journaling is perfection.
    • flowersgal
      I so enjoyed reading your journaling and all the practices and equipment of that timeframe. I have two grandchildren who both graduated from THE Ohio State University (I never knew the word "THE" was part of the official name until the first one graduated).

I love your photos of the sign and the old cash register and your explanation of how you operated as a cashier.

Good work.
    • LynnG
      This is great, and so interesting. I worked as a checkout operator (as they call them here) but I got demoted for putting a pineapple through as grocery rather than produce LOL (Had to put in the price and then the right department for each item, so much more than just swiping like now!) Such a fun name for a store and I love the sign! Great memory keeping here
    • mcurtt
      Loving the photos you were able to include. Great journaling. I worked at a bakery for a brief time and was instructed how to count out change. So different from what they do today...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lynn Grieveson
    Uploaded By:
    KAPOH
    Date:
    Jun 2, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    132 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).