Sharon-Dewi

The Last Time

The Last Time
Sharon-Dewi, Feb 2, 2020
Description:
On this layout are pictures taken during my grandfather's last birthday. He suffered from Alzheimer's Disease the last 9 years of his life and lived in a special nursing home for the last 7 years. The picture of me and him together is the very last picture ever taken of him. The pictures obviously aren't very flattering of him, but they are still very special to me since they remind me of the very last precious moments we spent together.

Journaling reads:

The last time...

The last time we celebrated your birthday...
The last time we were all happy together...
The last time you were photographed...
The last time we heard your voice...
The last time you left your bed...

When we celebrated your 82nd birthday on January 21, we didn’t know it would be your last. We did had a few scares before, but you would always proof the nurses wrong. On this day you were so very tired. So tired that you weren’t even able to open your eyes. But you did response to hearing all your loving family members that came to celebrate your birthday.

A month later I received a phone call that you were not doing well. Tim and I took the first train to Purmerend to come and visit you. It was very late at night when I saw you laying in your bed. You were very weak and had trouble breathing. Grandma, mama, Gary and uncle Wim had just said their goodbyes to you and left the room so I could be with you. I am so thankful that I was able to hold your hands one last time and thank you for everything you did for me and meant to me in my life. As I kissed your forehead for the very last time I whispered: “Goodbye dear grandpa. I’m going to miss you terribly and I’ll love you forever and ever...” Not an hour later you would breathe out your last breath...

To create this layout I used the Lilypad Collab "Treasured (the people, the places and the things)".
KarenB likes this.
    • KarenB
      This is such a beautiful layout. Your photos and journaling really touched my heart. An absolutely perfect memory page :)
      Sharon-Dewi likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 8
    Uploaded By:
    Sharon-Dewi
    Date:
    Feb 2, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    716.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).