Pups_r_Paps

A-Gnome's-Tome

A-Gnome's-Tome
Pups_r_Paps, Nov 21, 2016
Description:
A Gnome’s Tome -

JOURNALING: Back in 2008 when GPS devices were becoming popular, my sister and I engaged in a pastime termed “Waymarking” – you find unique locations around the world and share them with others through compass coordinates and photos posted to a website. Shortly after we started, my sister found a little statue of a travel gnome dressed up as a cheerleader for our alma mater, The Ohio State University. She gave her the name of Winnie Waymarker and we took her all around central Ohio photographing her at various places.

One day in October 2008, we took a picture of Winnie standing in front of a large mural painted on the side of “College Traditions” a bookstore near the Ohio State University. Driving to our next stop we were talking about the three scenes that made up that mural. (see arrow, photo 1) Suddenly, I looked around inside the car and didn’t see Winnie – Oh, No!! We had left her sitting in the parking lot in front of the mural. As soon as we could get turned around, we hurried back hoping she would still be there, but fearing someone would have taken her. We pulled into the lot and were relieved to find Winnie, patiently waiting for us. We were so relieved to see her smiling face and vowed we wouldn’t leave her again – one of us would be “in charge” of Winnie. Over the next few years we would remember how panicked we felt that day and laugh at our mistake.

Fast forward to October 2016 and my sister and I were photographing sites that had been featured in a column in the local newspaper. One of the places was the A.D. Farrow Company, the nation’s oldest Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealership. I spotted the perfect place for our photo shoot, placing Winnie right in front of the vintage sign painted on the back wall of their building adjacent to the parking lot. This was a Sunday so we were the only ones there. We both returned to the car and started checking the directions to the next place we wanted to photograph. My sister started to pull out of the lot when we realized – we had done it again!! Poor, neglected Winnie was still standing in front of the wall “posing” for the pictures!!! (see arrow, photo 4). At least this time we hadn’t left the parking lot!

I’m not sure if Winnie will “agree” to go with us on future waymarking adventures! Sorry Winnie!

1. We left Winnie standing under the mural on the parking lot wall at “College Traditions”. 2. Winnie photographed in front of the Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad depot. 3. Winnie photographed near the Adena Mansion with the view in the background that inspired the state seal of Ohio. 4. We did it again! Winnie stands under the logo for the A.D .Farrow Company.

CREDITS: Pocket Template (resized) by Dawn Inskip; Just Breathe, Little Butterfly Wings
    • KAPOH
      Great telling of the "Adventures of Winnie!" Maybe we should designate which one of us is going to be in charge of her BEFORE we do the photo shoot!
    • jk703
      What a great story, it sounds fun and funny! I love the title too!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Style Challenge
    Uploaded By:
    Pups_r_Paps
    Date:
    Nov 21, 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    127.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).