michelepixels

2021MOC23interviewpast-births

2021MOC23interviewpast-births
michelepixels, Jan 23, 2021
Description:
https://the-lilypad.com/store/August-Wolff-Pack-Messy-Edges.html
https://the-lilypad.com/store/Oct-16-Paper-Pack.html
https://the-lilypad.com/store/Foundation-Stripped-Strips.html
leaves, pink flower from https://the-lilypad.com/store/Parker-Lane-Element-Pack.html
vine, heart, bow from https://the-lilypad.com/store/Fresh-Air-Elements.html
yellow flower from Karma 2 by Etc By Danyale & Little Butterfly Wings
staple from It's About Time by Sahlin Studio

about 1500 words

Robert's Memories

How did we know it would be Rhiannon’s birthdate and what time did we go to the hospital? How were you feeling?
I'm pretty sure you woke me up from a sound sleep and I was extremely groggy, so it took me a moment to process that it was actually happening for real. I was absolutely not ready.

How long was my labor with Rhiannon? What do you remember most about those hours?
I was a total emotional wreck that day and could barely focus on anything. I remember just trying to support your choices and making sure that we stuck to the birth plan as much as possible. I think my parents showed up and you didn't want them in the birthing room? Whenever I think back to the birth I'm slightly embarrassed at how I was trying to be your breathing coach (like we did in the delivery classes) and you just not really needing my help at all. You were so calm and together.

How did you feel just before leaving the hospital with Rhiannon?
Extremely nervous, like we were totally unprepared for what lay ahead. I recall thinking specifically that the statute of limitations had finally run out my ability to be "young and foolish". Until that moment, I had never really felt like an adult.

What prompted us to go to the hospital to birth Collin?
There was a lot of talk about inducing labor because you were overdue, but I actually don’t remember if we went through with that or if your labor just happened to start just before it happened.

How long was labor with Collin and what is your favorite memory of those hours?
I remember that we had Erin and Julie there with us and that you three were all very relaxed and easygoing. I was kind of superfluous to the process and was just trying to keep myself entertained while we waited for things to progress.

Please tell me all about the time immediately after Collin’s birth, when you went with them and the nurses to the nursery and I was left behind.
I don't have a clear memory of it. I may be conflating Rhiannon's trip to the nursery with Collin's in my mind. The nurses were always sweet and considerate, but the first "check-up" was a very clinical and perfunctory process.

What was it like in the days and hours before I called to say I was in labor with Ian?
I was extremely nervous about the idea of a home birth, even though intellectually I understood that it was probably going to go smoothly. I tried not to think about it too much, and was pretty focused on work, if I remember correctly. Getting to know the midwife helped a lot, but I was still a bit tense.

What was the best thing about Ian’s home birth?
Standing there with Rhiannon watching it happen and feeling so proud of her curiosity and maturity.

Who was at each of our children’s births?
For Rhiannon it was just you and me and the hospital staff. Julie and Erin were with us for Collin, and Stacy came over to help out with Ian and Rhiannon was with us for most of it as well. I think there may have been one other friend there besides the midwife for Ian's birth, but I don't recall who it would have been.

My Memories Of Childbirth

How did we know it would be Rhiannon’s birthdate and what time did we go to the hospital?
I felt contractions early in the morning that continued. I remember showering and eating a bowl of cereal and they kept coming. I was in no hurry to go to the hospital because I wanted the freedom of laboring on my own as long as possible. But the contractions were pretty close together and regular -- maybe around 10 minutes apart, if I can remember correctly -- and I think we left for the hospital around 8:30.

How were you feeling?
I think you were nervous but I was pretty matter of fact because I’d prepared so much and was eager to see Rhiannon and be done with pregnancy.

How long was my labor with Rhiannon? What do you remember most about those hours?
If it started around 7am (which I don’t remember and anyway I think they started before I woke up) then it was around 7 hours. She was born at 2:07pm. I remember at one point Robert’s parents popping their heads in and asking something about whether they could come in and I felt distracted and unable to answer and they left. I remember the midwife having me get up on my hands and knees for a time and thinking it was hard. Overall, it was the hardest physical work I’d ever done in my life. Not painful. Just all-c0nsuming and powerful.

How did you feel just before leaving the hospital with Rhiannon?
I don’t remember my own feelings as well, but Robert was very nervous. I think my strongest feeling was relief to be getting out of the hospital. It took ridiculously long to be discharged. Judging by the photo Robert took of me on the sofa soon after we arrived home, I think I was also exhausted. And I sure was tired a lot that summer as I learned how to be a mom of a baby.

What prompted us to go to the hospital to birth Collin?
I had just had a regular checkup, after which the midwife sent me for a stress test and to measure my amniotic fluid. The stress test showed nothing of concern but they said my amniotic fluid was low. I thought, duh, my uterus is full of a 9 lb baby who will be born soon. But they acted all grim and insisted I needed to go straight to the hospital to be induced. I asked to use their office phone to call Robert to discuss it, saying that I didn’t want to be induced. I’d read a lot about how induction can lead to problems and they weren’t giving me any convincing evidence that Collin needed to be evicted from my womb before they were ready. I drove home. I remember I had shredded pork in the crock pot for dinner but didn’t feel like eating, but probably gave Rhiannon some dinner. When Robert got home, I went for another walk -- I had been walking daily since Collin was past the “due date” -- and at some point my midwife called me. I felt so abandoned by her because she said if I went in to be induced this evening, she would be available, but she was taking the weekend off. I don’t think that was the entire reason I was talked into it, but we did end up heading to the hospital.

How long was labor with Collin and what is your favorite memory of those hours?
It was just 5 hours from the moment they put the drug in my arm to holding newborn Collin on my chest. It was incredibly easy, no complications, thankfully. My doula ended up only taking pictures (awesome ones, for which I’m grateful!) and with Robert and a couple of friends there, the atmosphere felt more fun than work.

Please tell me all about the time immediately after Collin’s birth, when you went with them and the nurses to the nursery and I was left behind.
I felt so good about how it went, I decided I’d walk down to the nursery on my own. In the hallway I got lightheaded and weak and realized resting was probably a better idea. I can’t remember if I made it to the nursery and got a glimpse of you all, but I remember that feeling of realizing I was pushing myself too hard right after giving birth.

What was it like in the days and hours before I called to say I was in labor with Ian?
Ian was also “late,” but unlike with Collin, because I was using a home birth midwife, I was not pressured to induce. She gave me methods of encouraging my body along and I was walking a lot and finally almost 2 weeks after the EDD, one morning I started feeling contractions. I continued caring for Rhiannon and Collin as if it were an ordinary day and called Robert, the midwife, and friends to keep them informed. I was very matter of fact about the upcoming labor and excited about meeting my third baby.

What was the best thing about Ian’s home birth? Being at home already, waking up the next morning in my own bed. Also grateful for friends who attended!

Who was at each of our children’s births?
Besides the CNM/midwife and nurses . . .
Rhiannon -- Robert (and his parents in the waiting room)
Collin -- Robert, doula Julie, and Erin
Ian -- Robert, Rhiannon (who cut Ian’s umbilical cord), Stacy (who rocked almost 3-year-old Collin to sleep), Wendy (who took great pictures), and Erin
chastml likes this.
    • StefanieS
      Thanks for sharing your birth stories with us.
      i hope that your children will appreciate these memories too as the treasure they are.
    • michelepixels
      @Eyeore I have more in depth stories written down soon after each birth and have told my second and third of the existence of many photos of their births if they'd ever like to read/see them.
    • bcgal00
      This is fantastic! I love how detailed the story is, what precious memories to record.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    michelepixels
    Date:
    Jan 23, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    154.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    517px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).