what are you covid reading?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bellbird, Mar 21, 2020.

1. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

SOOOOOOOOO cool! Hand stitched? That's just amazing! I would love to try something like this...but not the hand stitching part. I would definitely do it all by machine, haha!

2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

3. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

4. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

For all you Outlander fans - @gonewiththewind - I would recommend Discovery of Witches. It's kinda like grown-lady Twilight. It's what I'm doing now coz I needed the escapism.

A couple recommendations for mystery fans:
    - The Lane Winslow Series - Book #5 just came out. Lane was a spy with MI-5 in Britain during the war. After she buys herself a house and a small apple orchard in British Columbia's Kootenay mountains, where he spy skills prove useful to the local police, particularly Inspector Darling. You'll enjoy this if you're a fan of Agatha Christie, Murdoch Mysteries and Miss Fischer's Mysteries.
    - The Inspector Gamache Series - Armand Gamache is an inspector in Montreal. He's called to investigate murders throughout the Anglo-Quebecer communities South of Montreal. The series is hugely popular in Canada. There is a tonne of interesting local history. Gamache prides himself on his ethics and principals, and he usually comes out as a hero without ever resorting to violence or threats.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I love Rosamund Pilcher. I think I have read all the novels, and a few of her short stories.
    In Germany they love her so much , they make films of all her stories, ( I think she writes for them too , not sure about that that though. ) but you can often catch them on the German channels.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Yes ! Louise Penny is also one of my faves, I have 2 unread books of hers that I have been hoarding .
    and Yes @janedee who said;
    "Really enjoyed The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg, a new to me Scandinavian mystery author."
    Just wait until you read the stone cutter ! I love her too, and also have her last book waiting to be read ( The witch) perhaps I detter finish that shetland series by Anne Cleeves..

Juliestcyr and janedee like this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oooh, thanks for the recommendation!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'll have to search around to see if I can find any available with subtitles. I'm glad to find a fellow fan!

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm always happy when I find another spy/intelligence set of books. Two I've enjoyed this year that were new to me are
    *the ones by Charles Finch - The Charles Lenox Mysteries. There are also 3 prequels that have been written recently and while I've found this series hard to locate in two MD libraries they seem to be catching on this year.

*Also books written by Olen Steinhauer - The Milo Weaver series. Sometimes a bit hard for me to follow with my 2020 brain cells seeming to go awol now and then but good international intrigue.

10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I just finished Lila by Marilynne Robinson, the author of Gilead which I have not read. A very interesting story but I am having an increasing frustration with books that intersperse today with the past and nary a paragraph break. Maybe it's my age or maybe it's the affect covid-19 time has had on me. I would call this a prequel to Gilead and Home both of which were Pulitzer Prize winners.

Starting tomorrow will be The Black Swan of Paris by Karen Robards.

Karen likes this.
  11. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

12. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger