There goes the A/C unit....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Dalis, May 28, 2020.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Girl, I grew up without A/C in a caribbean island you would think I will be ok, but I AM NOT! 23 years in this country and I am used to A/C now. LOL!!!

tania, meganmecrazy and Tree City like this.
  2. Dalis

We thought about that but then we would need to buy 2 one for us and one for Bianca and money is really tight right now!

tania and meganmecrazy like this.
  3. Dalis

Oh... I have always wanted a wrap around porch! Here the houses are so close together that no breeze comes through the sides. And we almost never get north/south winds! The dogs look like they are going to pass out!

4. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

((((HUGS)))) sadly I totally feel your pain. We have one big one we got quite a few years ago and we keep it downstairs, then we put a regular fan to help blow some of it upstairs but it only helps a little. Over the years we have had multiple units that we either got as hand-me-downs or at flea markets and we are due to look for more. At one point we had one for every room, but we currently do not. And the upstairs gets SO hot. I might just pitch a tent in the living room :giggle Thank goodness this weekend is supposed to be nice and not too hot!
    so funny because I was just telling my friend that I used to live in Florida and didn't even think about the heat. Now years later I live up north, summer hasn't even fully hit yet and I already can't take it. I am a wimp! lol Give me year-round 65-70 degree weather please! lol

Dalis likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Our AC unit was replaced when Daniel was a baby, so it's now 15 years old. It definitely needs a maintenance check, but I think we may wait until the fall to have them come out for that.

Currently we have a small AC window unit in our extra room - the den/office that used to be a garage. The laundry room/utility room is right here, so if the dryer runs at all, it gets warm in here . . . not to mention the three monitors and two computers that heat up the space as well. We took the unit out during the winter, but we had to put it back in this week to help our main AC not have to work so hard. Now, it's so nice and cool out here!

This small one only cost about $100 and we used it last summer and fall. I hope it lasts at least this year and hopefully into the next.

I can't imagine going back to no A/C. I was born and raised in Florida, and was used to the heat and humidity. Now, I just can't take it! Hope you get it fixed soon, @Dalis !

Dalis likes this.
  6. Dalis

AMEN! 65-70... is my JAM! I have no clue what we are going to do!

7. Dalis

What type of system did you guys get?

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Our main AC is a York. The window unit is by LG. I asked my hubby and he must have gotten our unit on sale. I'm finding it at Home Depot for $240 and Lowe's for $230. Model #LW6017R

Dalis likes this.
  9. Dalis

Thanks! I will keep an eye!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@Dalis, I have always told dh that I can live without heat - I'd be a 2 or 3 duvet woman first! - but if any of our a/c units went out I'd go to a hotel! We only have window units, 6 in all, but it's the rare time that we have more than 3 (both offices & the kitchen) going at a time. Our house is a 1910 one and the systems to do full a/c are a fortune as we have no space in the joists or under any floor. We also looked into the wall units with the outside system to power them and it was $7-8k and in reality would also need a good bit of renovation work also.$$$ Instead we got solar panels and now we almost always make money with solar electricity, summer and winter. I never have the units in my bedroom or office taken out in the winter and on occasion just get the plastic to cover the window in the summer.

Dalis likes this.