Suggestions for May-Aug 2022

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It's time to pick books again already for another few months! I'm got sucked into finishing the Discovery of Witches trilogy (book 1 was for January) so I'm totally behind on the other books, but I'm going on vacation next week, so I hope to have lots of time to laze around poolside reading. :D

We have a fun informal book club here at The Lilypad and it's open to anyone and everyone who likes to read! :clap For this thread we are looking for suggestions for what to read together over the next four months. Everyone can suggest one book for now because when I do the voting poll, I can only have 10 selections in the poll. I will leave this thread open until April 10th or until we get 10 suggestions. Then I will open up a voting poll.

>>>>>>>ETA:
    I'm going to leave this open a little longer to get some more suggestions. And I'm going to skip May to give everyone (including me) some time to catch up on the other books we've already picked too. <<<<<<<<

Once we vote, I'll start a new thread for each of the four top books... one per month, for the next four months starting in May. You can see the complete list of our old picks in our Master Reading List. You can read the books in any order and at any time. If you want to chat about the books, just reply to that thread. Easy peasy! :agree

So.... what should we read together next?

1. The Secretary by Renée Knight
    2. The Exiles by Cristina Baker Kline
    3. Aunti Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano
    4. A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham
    5. Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson
    6. Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
    7. My Husbands Wife by Jane Corry
    8. People We Meet On Vacation by Emily Henry
    9. The Interview by CM Ewan

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    plumdumpling likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

(i don't think i've read any from the last round - i'm still on the reserve list for House in the Cerulean Sea! )

i know my suggestions haven't always been easy to find in the US - this is the last book i added to my library reserves here
    The Interview - CM Ewan
    https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/59559565-the-interview

OR if that's too new, this is one i can highly recommend, read it earlier this year and that i can still recall the plot and all in it says a lot! not too many characters with strange or similar names to be able to keep straight for an audio read helps!
    The Secretary - Renee Knight
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40139163-the-secretary

sm_amber likes this.
  3. Karen

Oh dang! How do you get such cool books that we can't get here. Lol. I can't get either of those through my library and only one is available on Kindle. I'll put the one available on kindle in the list. :agree

I am super behind on the last batch too, but I'm still hoping to catch up!

4. Karen

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

D'oh sorry to do it to you again! I thought they were both UK authors so should be more 'international', I guess not. My library does have your book though, I think they are like obligated to buy anything about Oz - their blurb is a bit different though & refers to the choice of narrators for the (audio) cast so looks like they pasted an audio review in that description field but they don't have an audio copy #LibraryProblems :eyeroll

Karen likes this.
  6. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I'm hoping to get to this one soon: The Intern's Handbook by Shane Kuhn.

[​IMG]

Interns are invisible. That’s the mantra behind HR, Inc., an elite "placement agency" that doubles as a network of assassins-for-hire, taking down high-profile executives who wouldn't be able to remember an intern’s name if their lives depended on it.

At twenty-five, John Lago is already New York City’s most successful hit man. He’s also an intern at a prestigious Manhattan law firm, clocking eighty hours a week getting coffee, answering phones, and doing all the grunt work no one else wants to do. But he isn't trying to claw his way to the top of the corporate food chain. He was hired to assassinate one of the firm’s heavily guarded partners. His internship is the perfect cover, enabling him to gather intel and gain access in order to pull off a clean, untraceable hit.

The Intern’s Handbook is John Lago's unofficial survival guide for new recruits at HR, Inc. (Rule #4: "Learn how to make the perfect cup of coffee: you make an exec the best coffee he’s ever had, and he will make sure you’re at his desk every morning for a repeat performance. That’s repetitive exposure, which begets access and trust. 44% of my kills came from my superior coffee-making abilities.")

Part confessional, part how-to, the handbook chronicles John’s final assignment, a twisted thrill ride in which he is pitted against the toughest—and sexiest—adversary he’s ever faced: Alice, an FBI agent assigned to take down the same law partner he’s been assigned to kill.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Karen likes this.
  8. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

9. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Currently reading Project Hail Mary and can't put it down. Also just finished My Husband's Wife, which I really enjoyed. I think if I didn't have so much life "stuff" pulling me away while I was reading, it would have been another "can't put down".

Karen likes this.
  10. Karen

i LOVED Project Hail Mary!

sm_amber likes this.
  11. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

Eek! Can I change my selection? I just finished The Intern's Handbook, and it was just okay. Maybe we could do this one: Aunti Poldie and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano

On her sixtieth birthday, Auntie Poldi retires to Sicily, intending to while away the rest of her days with good wine, a view of the sea, and few visitors. But Sicily isn’t quite the tranquil island she thought it would be, and something always seems to get in the way of her relaxation. When her handsome young handyman goes missing—and is discovered murdered—she can’t help but ask questions . . . Soon there’s an investigation, a smoldering police inspector, a romantic entanglement, one false lead after another, a rooftop showdown, and finally, of course, Poldi herself, slightly tousled, but still perfectly poised.

[​IMG]

12. Karen

Of course! I'll swap it out in the list. :agree It's great that you're previewing the choices for us. :giggle

plumdumpling likes this.
  13. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I just hope one day I can read these selections with you ladies & not just childrens books, LMAO!!!

Karen likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I just got notified I can pick up House in the Cerulean Sea!! (i'm only like 6months behind!)

(The Interview was a high-octane thriller too if you end up ever needing to add another book to your TBR & if you need any other suggestions, I'm half way thru Love and Other Puzzles and it's cute and funny in a Sophie Kinsella / Beth O'Leary kinda way - i don't know if it's out any where but Oz yet though? https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/58848432-love-and-other-puzzles)

Karen likes this.
  15. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

as many of you know, reading a book can take me from 3 months to a year now.... I still have a go at it, have friends who read to me too.... but right now?
    I have a lover boy who needs attention!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  16. Erin2

Erin2 Well-Known Member

17. Karen

bellbird likes this.
  18. Karen

I added The Interview too! :agree

And I'm going to open up voting this weekend. :)

bellbird likes this.
  19. Karen

20. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Kiss Bart! :bk

Karen likes this.