Quarantine Question: In Short Supply

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Apr 21, 2020.

1. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Because we are prone to natural disasters here (especially earthquakes) I had a preparedness kit that I made up years ago. I had pretty much forgotten about it until all this, when I dug it out and sure enough I had 3 large bottles of hand santiser and a box of disposable gloves. So I wear those to the supermarket. And thank my former self!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    AJK and cfile like this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We were on vacation when the panic shopping started. Fortunately, I had 20 rolls of tp at home. But now we are down to about 6 rolls left, so I am starting to look for it. Have heard Costco has it but it goes quickly. I need to get my friends to serve as scouts. You are limited to 1 package per shopper. Face tissues I got recently and napkins, but I am getting low on paper towels. Most stories have zero paper products.

Otherwise, things come and go. For days there were no potatoes anywhere, then a week later there were stacks of them. Ditto eggs, etc. I also need to go on a hunt for my favorite mayo (Duke's) - although I may break down and get the huge jar from Costco. It is like enough to feed us for 6 months...

Flour is out or low - I have been picking up a bag whenever I see it. I could also get the 25 pound bag from Costco. We have done that before when DD baked the 400+ cupcakes for DS's wedding. It is a lot of flour.

3. breeoxd

breeoxd Well-Known Member

We are in northern VA right next to DC. Too many people packed into my area without many grocery stores.

AJK likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Ours has empty spots because they sell rice and people have realized they are the only ones who had rice for awhile.

So....I routinely buy that size bag of flour. Sometimes I buy the 50 lb one....I break it down into a 5 gallon bucket, and it lasts me about 2 months, sometimes 3. I bake and cook a lot apparently.

Karen likes this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Hand sanitizer, wipes, any kind of disinfectant cleaner/wipes, rubbing alcohol, gloves, masks, Vitamin C. I now must order all my vitamins online. Flour and baking supplies are either low or out of stock until further notice. TP seems to be making a comeback. I’m able to most of what I need at Trader Joe’s, and we fill in the other needs at the other stores. We do not live in a food desert for there are literally 20 or more grocery stores within a 5 minute drive in any direction from our house. I can usually find my gluten-, soy-, nut-free free vegan foods, because who really wants to eat those anyway? :lol

I can only get one certain type of Non-dairy milk at Target or Whole Foods (I won’t go in there on a normal day because it’s insane), so I make a weekly trip to get what I need, hoping they have it. I can’t find my orange juice (a low acid brand) for three weeks and I’m running out. Otherwise I can subsist on Cheerios for breakfast, fish and vegetables with some starch for the other meals.

And the big thing that can’t be found? Freezers. We were planning on getting one after we cleaned out our basement from the remodel, but when we went to make a purchase they are sold out EVERYWHERE, except for the 20+square foot varieties. I have crazy dietary restrictions so I thought it would be a good idea to get one so I could make sure I had what I needed, just in case. They’re all back ordered until the end of summer.

@breeoxd I’m not sure where you’re at, but I can get just about any food at Trader Joe’s. Well, of the things they carry, that is. I’ve heard the Sprouts in Herndon has a good supply of foods. Also, the small Asian grocery stores have a good selection of foods. Also, MOM’s Markets always have eggs, bread, milk. The one in the Mosaic District in Merrifield isn’t busy and has good stock. Prices are more because everything is natural/organic, which is normal. They didn’t have much flour, but they did have yeast!

6. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

luckily we haven't been having problems to find stuff, other than in the first few weeks the toilette paper and hand sanitizers.... but the yeast thing, yup, we tried (well, Sarita did!) a few supermarkets, then when we got finally a delivery, the yeast didn;t come... I think is because so many people are having a go at cooking and especially baking bread?

anyway, I came looking for love (Says Bart!!!)

[​IMG]

7. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

8. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

Only have trouble finding a few of the same stuff everyone seems to be looking for.....rubbing alcohol, disposable gloves, hand soap, paper products, etc. Everything else is mostly back to normal. I did need to order several of my GF flours as I couldn't find them in my usual places. Hubby rec'd a surprise call yesterday to return back to work on Tues. after 5 wks. on furlough, yay!!!

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

WOW! That's a lot of baking! :giggle I'm doing one zillion percent more this last 6 weeks and going through WAY more flour than I use in a year usually! Ha ha!

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  10. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

I kissed the frog!

11. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Bicycles!!! lol The kids wanted bikes so bad for their 16th birthday but you can't find them anywhere. And if you look online the price is so high...I'm not getting them a $5,000 bike...I could get them a car first :crazy3

12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I know what you mean! It took us over a month to find and purchase ours- we had to order both of them!

13. meganmecrazy

Where did you end up ordering from? I keep checking different places online but the prices are just outrageous!

14. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@meganmecrazy we ordered Hubster's via Academy Sports, and mine from Dick's Sports. One I originally wanted was from Walmart but they never had it in stock.

meganmecrazy likes this.
  15. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

We put in a grocery order every 2 weeks, and after we get our delivery I go to the store and try to get the things that didn't come in the delivery. For 3 deliveries we got 2/3 of what we ordered, but this week we got 3/4. Things were a little better at the store, too. Stock was low, but only a few things weren't available at all. No vinegar for weeks, online or in person. Can't get hand soap either, nor some vegetarian meats. Paper products are low but finally in stock. Chicken, pork, and beef are out of stock for delivery but available in person if you go early. Pasta and frozen veggies are still hit or miss. For a lot of things you may not find the brand or flavor you want, but you can easily substitute something similar, unlike a few weeks ago. Prices are crazy! Our family of 5 is spending about $75 more a week than we used to. It's a combination of eating home more and no longer being able to shop sale products. Plus we're buying more non-food products (laundry detergent, etc) through the grocery store to minimize trips. Early in the paper towel shortage we bought a bunch of hand towels. We're using those more to help stretch our paper towel supply.

16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

So this week my running shoes (I only walk) wore out. The store I usually get them from is not open. A search online, even at the manufacturer's site, turned up nothing - as in they must be discontinuing that style? So how do I find a replacement? You know you have to try them on...my feet are picky.

I put out a request on Facebook and a friend who is a runner recommended a store that had just started letting people back in. Yay! Even better -- they had my shoe that just wore out in my size (and even the same color) in-stock! Woo Hoo! Hoping I can swing by tomorrow and pick them up! I can postpone the whole switching styles/brands until next time.

meganmecrazy and AJK like this.
  17. meganmecrazy

That is where I was hoping to get the bikes from but so far no luck! lol

18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

That's great, @BevG ! Glad you found them!!!!
    For walking tennis shoes I love Keds. Old school, I know, but my weird shape/sized feet work well in them! Plus my feet are flat so most shoes don't feel right.

19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I know, right?! The one I got is in my sig, and I had to pay quite a bit more than I wanted to, but I need the exercise option as walking isn't good for my hip, and this bike should last for the rest of my life. \

20. meganmecrazy

OMG I LOVE IT!!!! And totally worth it if it is one that will last!