Need some Dinnertime Ideas?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by pameladonnis, Jan 14, 2010.

1. pameladonnis

pameladonnis New Member

I challenged myself to make rice or beans every day this year. (Read this post to find out why) It's been 2 weeks and I'm doing pretty well so far! :happydance2

Check out my blog for some inexpensive meal ideas! And feel free to send me some ideas cause 365 days is a lot of beans and rice, and I'm going to need some variety!

Here are a few things I've made:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

Way to go girl!!! Love Dave Ramsey! You and your husband sound like you are well on your way to financial peace!!! Love your challenge! I don't really eat rice or beans b/c i don't like them, but I hope you get some great ideas here for meals!!!

The meals we do love:
    tacos, spagetti, BBQ, grilled cheese and tomato soup, pancakes for dinner, chicken bake, etc...

3. 1girl1boy

1girl1boy Miss Glee!

Pamela, I am uber-impressed! It's no secret I'm a Dave Ramsey fan. Kudos to you for doing this. I'll see what recipes I can dig up for you when I'm home later tonight.

4. Amy Wolff

Amy Wolff Amy Wolff

Good for you!!! My mom is always saying the same thing (if you really want to cut back....rice and beans).

My daughter is a vegetarian and I try to make her some sort of rice/bean dish once a week to have in the fridge for school lunches or those nights when we are eating something with meat.

I made this one Monday. It's pretty basic with lots of opportunities to customize flavors.

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
    1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice

Directions:
    1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, cook and stir until tender. Add beans, tomatoes, oregano and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; stir in rice. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes before serving.

5. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

We love beans and rice at our house. One of our favorites is black beans and rice (see you could get them both in one meal! lol). You add shredded cheddar, a little sour cream and some avocado makes it really good, but not necessary. I have a couple of different recipes that I use, and I can't seem to find any online that I think are similar, so if you are interested, let me know and I will type mine up for you.

I made this recipe last weekend because I had the ingredients for it on hand and we LOVED it!

Chicken Salsa Chili

1-16 oz jar thick and chunky salsa
    1 15 oz can yellow hominy or garbanzo beans (I actually had some garbanzo beans in the fridge leftover after I cooked a bag of dry beans to make hummus--ooh, that would be another yummy thing to make with beans)
    1 can dark red kidney beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can chicken broth
    2 c cooked chicken
    1 4oz can green chilies
    1 T chili powder
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
    1/4 c snipped fresh cilantro (we don't like cilantro, so didn't use this)
    2 T lime juice (didn't have this, so skipped it too)

Basically, mix it all together in a large dutch oven, bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Just before serving stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, and red onion. We had tortilla chips and kind of ate it like nachos or a dip and it was yummy!!

6. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

Wow, I think that would be tough. Although there are so many different beans and rice is always yummy! I will definitely keep an eye on your blog. We are going Vegetarian this year so I could use some good bean recipes.

This is what I am making tonight.

Vegetarian Lentil Chili

4-14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
    2-15oz cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1-12oz pkg. frozen chopped green peppers
    1-12oz pkg. frozen chopped onions
    2 cups dry red lentils, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup chili powder
    2 Tbsp. garlic powder
    1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1-6 oz. can tomato paste
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    tortilla chips

1. In 8 quart dutch oven combine UNDRAINED tomatoes, rinsed and drained beans, 3 cups water, green peppers, onions, dry lentils, chili powder, garlic powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    2. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; heat through. Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips. (can be frozen up to 3 months)

And I want to try this one too...
    Black Bean Soup with Chipotle and Toasted Cumin Seed Crème Fraîche
    Adapted from Bon Appetit

Yields 6 main course servings
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 medium-size red onions, chopped
    1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    4 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 16-ounce package dried black beans
    1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chiles from a can (this gives it a solid kick, dial back if you are wary)
    7 cups hot water (I just used very hot tap water)
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and both bell peppers and sauté until beginning to brown, about eight minutes. Add garlic and cumin; stir one minute. Transfer mixture to 6-quart slow cooker. Add beans and chipotles, then 7 cups hot water. Cover and cook on high until beans are very tender, about 3 hours. [See note up top.]
    Transfer two cups bean mixture to blender; puree until smooth. Return puree to remaining soup in slow cooker. Stir in lime juice, salt, and pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste; we found we needed more salt. Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon dollop of yogurt into each bowl. Sprinkle with toasted cumin seed cream (below) and serve.

Toasted Cumin Seed Crème Fraîche

Hacked from Bobby Flay
    1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
    1 cup crema or crème fraîche (or make your own crema, make your own crème fraîche, or swap sour cream or yogurt, for a close-enough taste)
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    Place the cumin in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Toast until lightly golden brown. Place in spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind until coarse. Stir it into the creme and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Crock Pot Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup oil
    3 cups water
    12 ounces cooked sausage links, sliced
    1/2 cups diced cooked chicken (from my weekly roast chicken)
    2 cups sliced okra or 10-ounce package frozen okra
    1 cup onion, diced (about 1 large)
    1/2 cup green pepper, diced
    1/2 cup celery, diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
    3 cups hot cooked rice
    To make the roux, stir together oil and flour in a medium saucepan until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more until it’s a dark, reddish-brown color. Cool.
    Place water in a Crock Pot and add roux; stir. Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, pepper, celery, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours, or on high heat for 3 hours. Skim off the fat, and serve over rice.

7. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

i love all these ideas.
    my goal is to try one new recipe a week.
    i've made 2 each week so far this new year!
    this recipe has some really fun/easy crockpot recipes.
    a few with beans, more to go with rice.
    http://365daysofcrockpot.blogspot.com/

8. Valoriew

Valoriew Valoriew

omgosh- this is just awesome!

Pamela-wow-that's amazing- I'm gonna have follow you on your journey!

I love beans and rice too and saving money is soooo up my alley! My older DD is also a vegetarian so these recipes are even more inspiring! I just wish I could get my DH to like beans. It's the ONLY thing he wont eat- I don't get it.....

9. eryn

eryn gross no longer

OMG you are nuts!! In a good way though...but I just don't think I could do it! I like beans and rice every now and then but I'm not a fan.
    And I don't have any recipes as I just don't use them often. I think I need to check out this Dave Ramsey guy as getting out of debt would be fabulous! Good luck with your journey!

10. Amy Wolff

Amy Wolff Amy Wolff

I just bookmarked this one at allrecipes.com

Tuscan Bean and Pasta Soup

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 (28 ounce) can CONTADINA® Recipe
    Ready Diced Tomatoes with Roasted Garlic
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 (15 ounce) can kidney or pinto beans,

undrained
    2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley*
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup dried small pasta shells or macaroni

Directions:
    1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes, broth, beans, 1/3 cup water, basil, parsley and pepper. Bring to boil.
    2. Add pasta; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.

11. shades of bliss

shades of bliss bolʹshie koshki

Oh so many good ideas!!! Half of my family likes beans, so I cook them here and there. But I think I'm going to add them more often to save money. I hadn't thought of that but it would save.

Here is one of my favs: Calico Beans
    1/2 lb bacon
    2 tbsp bacon drippings
    1 lb ground beef
    1 chopped onion
    3/4 c brown sugar
    1/2 chili sauce
    2 tbsp vinegar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    30 oz pork and beans
    15 oz kidney beans
    15 oz lima beans
    16 oz navy beans
    16 oz butter beans

Fry bacon until crisp and remove. Discard all but 2 tbsp drippings. Brown beef and onions in the drippings. Drain beans and combine all ingredients. Back at 350 for 45 min.
    Serves 18

You can totally customize and substitute diff. beans.

12. pameladonnis

pameladonnis New Member

Thanks so much for the ideas! I'm going to make some of these next week!

13. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

oh wow!! I am so going to try some of these!

I love Dave Ramsey too! <3

14. ShannaNoel

ShannaNoel ShannaNoel

LOVE this!!! I heart rice and beans! Actually just bought a new rice cooker today I am super excited about!!! :)

15. pameladonnis

pameladonnis New Member

16. eryn

eryn gross no longer

mmmmm....I was going to try those and forgot! Looks so good!

17. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

pamela this is so awesome! i was way impressed with your $.60 trip to the grocery! i'm a coupon-aholic, but have never gotten away with only $.60! lol! i added your blog to my blog list... def gonna have to track what you're doing! thanks for the inspiration!