Languages | Pad Patter 9.22.22

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by umyesh, Sep 22, 2022.

1. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

You were smart to pick Spanish. I wish I had!

michelepixels likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i can understand more italian than i speak or read but it's also mostly a northern dialect, not sure what bart speaks - he's more the silent type
    [​IMG]

umyesh likes this.
  3. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Kissed the frog!

umyesh likes this.
  4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

That’s fun you know Italian Justine!

bellbird likes this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am fluent in English and Afrikaans, but can make do in German if I don't have to write anything.

[​IMG]
    Toad-ally speak frog and toad.

umyesh likes this.
  6. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm afraid it's only English for me. I took Spanish in Junior High, but all we did was conjugate verbs. Wasn't a fun time. Then I took Swedish in college, and from then on when I want to think of a Swedish word, I think of the Spanish word instead, and vice versa. The alphabets are extremely similar, which doesn't help. My Swedish professor even asked me if I could please pronounce my Swedish without a Spanish accent!

8. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

My parents are from Gujarat, India. So I can speak Gujarati. Although I only use it to speak with my mum (even that is half english half Gujarat) or older family members. My sisters barely use it and say I am the best out of the 4 of us.

9. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I speak English and Navajo.

10. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Slovenian is my first language. I am first generation and they didn’t know English when they came here to the states. I took three years of French in high school. I would love to learn Spanish but I also want to learn Arabic because many of my customers speak it.

11. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I'm French so I speak French. At school, I had to choose a first language when I was 11 years (I don't know the name of your class at the same age) and I choose German. Mummy was a German teacher so not really a choice, lol. Two years later, I needed to choose an other langage and this time no choice because as German was my first language I had to learn English. I admit, I was not good, my accent is horrible (almost true today). Later in the studies I had to stop German after 7 years because this language wasn't available. And I keep English for my last studies years.
    I learned lot when I was at the university. I listened news from the BBC and I listened English songs. I had the English (American) sound in head.
    Today, I'm not fluent. I can read English, I can write it (I hope, you always understand me here) but I'm very very bad to speak. I have no opportunity to speak so it's hard to progress and I hate listening my accent, it doesn't help.
    I'm surprised to read that many of you have learned French at school. I didn't thought that this language is "popular" in US.