Importing photos from Google Photos to Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by SharLamb, Nov 27, 2018.

1. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I received an early Christmas gift...Sebastian Michaels' Photoshop Artistry course. Probably way more high-powered stuff than I deserve, but there ya go! I've got it, and would love to make the most of it. That has led me to see, once again, that my photos are in terrible disarray. I have Google Photos, but have failed to use it properly, so everything is just helter-skelter on it. I cannot figure out a way to move pictures from Google Photos directly to Lightroom. I've Googled it, and cannot find an answer "out there." There are a few hits that hint at the possibility, but they are all old...maybe even prior to CC.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this...or of a place that explains it?
    TIA,
    Sharron Lamb

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@SharLamb

Are you using Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC?

Lightroom CC is a cloud-based photo service designed to work across desktop, mobile, and web - so great for those who are on the move, like photographers or even scrappers who need remote access to their photos. Your photos are saved remotely, in the Adobe cloud.

Lightroom Classic CC is a desktop only software, so your photos are stored locally on your computer.

I chose to stay with Lightroom Classic CC because I don't need to access my photos remotely as I scrap using a desktop. Adding photos from Google Photos is about the same as getting them from my camera/phone/DropBox. In Google Photos, I select the photos I want to download. Typically, I download by date as that's how I save them on my EHD. Once the photos are selected, you can use the Shift+D or go to the three vertical dots in the upper right corner (more options) and choose Download. If you have more than one photo selected, you'll get a zip, usually called Photos.zip.

Once the download has completed, I go to my downloads folder and unzip the folder. I then move those photos into a folder by date (you can do it however works for your system) in my Photos folder. At that point, they are on my desktop, so I just open Lightroom and go through the import process.

I'm not sure if I helped you or not. Hopefully someone who uses Lightroom CC/cloud version will come along and shed some light on that version.

I'll be happy to answer any more questions you might have if I possibly can!

3. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

YES! THANK YOU! Instead of putting them on my desktop after unzipping them, I just went to LR and chose them from the Download folder. They went directly into LR, and I dragged them to the folder I wanted them in. And yes, I'm using LR CC. WOOT! BIG SHOUT OUT! I love when this happens, and now I feel confident about moving on with my Sebastian Michaels' course, which is heavy into gathering textures and artsy photos. BIG HUG!

bestcee likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@SharLamb Yippee! Spreading holiday cheer even before December starts! LOL So glad that you will be able to enjoy your course! Big ((HUGS)) back at ya!