Family album or splitted albums?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by Rovanice, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Rovanice

Rovanice Active Member

So I'm trying to find a way for next year to make my albums. I now make 2 albums for my twins. Both the same design but with different pictures and different text. So not very hard, I only have to remember to always make the same amount of pictures for each of them.

In March 2019 we will have a new family member, a little brother or sister for my twins and I don't think I will manage to keep on track with 3 different albums. I'm looking for an easy solution.

How are you doing this? Do you make 1 family album or do you keep track of an album for each child?

Mrivas and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Congrats on your pregnancy! And yes, I'm sure you will be busy and 3 albums sounds hard to keep up with! Whatever works for you is the way you should approach this. Any photos and pages i have with both kids in it, i put in a 'family' album, and i don't even try to keep up on the single kid albums or family one - but i know i do this hobby more for me than for them

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I have two kids. I make one "general" album that I change a few LOs for so I can print two copies (one for each child). Most LOs are the same in both albums: holidays; "everyday" stuff, like going to the movies; playing outside or around the house. Then there are the pages I make specifically for each child: birthday pages and special events such as school.

That way, 95% of my album is the same (and like you do already, I make sure to keep the number of photos equal for each child). It's a lot easier than making truly separate albums. (My only issue is uploading pages to Shutterfly in time for a sale. I'm the worst at actually uploading pages as soon as I finish them!)

Congrats on Baby #3!

bestcee likes this.
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I started out with separate albums, but I've quit that now and have one family album instead. I still have a separate one for my art journaling or scrapbooking about the bad/hard stuff pages.

5. michelepixels

michelepixels Enrolling at Starfleet Academy

I made separate BABY albums (first two-three years) for each of my three kids (now 17, 15, and 12). Since then I've only been making one album a year.

IF there ever comes a time when my kids might want their own albums (which doesn't seem likely) we can easily make it at that time. That's one of the fabulous things about digital photography/scrapbooking.

bestcee likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

I have an only child, and he still has a family album. :giggle
    My mom had childhood scrapbooks for us. We all had our own, but there were still pages that had everyone in it, not necessarily focused on us only. Like, my brothers baby book had photos and words about me holding him in the hospital. And the same photo is in my book. Same wording.
    My brothers soccer photos are in his book. Mine are in mine. My mom never worried about fairness in photos, but I think that's partially because of film, and the fact that it was harder to get each kid by itself then. And as adults, none of us care. We are all happy to have what we have. Part of my story is my siblings and the life we lived together.
    For my 365 pages, I usually try to have something from me, DH, and munchkin. Even the dog sometimes. Because our life isn't just about the pieces of our family, it's how we make a whole. Cousins and friends sometimes have more of a starring role in a week than us. And since it's told from my perspective, with the occasional journaling from the other two humans, it's usually my story anyway. I hope that makes sense.

7. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

Congratulations!!!
    I do separate albums for each one of my kids, in PL form. I choose a couple photos of what I want to document and try to keep it simple. Those and my PL are my most important projects and I enjoy the process, for them even more because I get to print the photos every other month so they have it in their albums. All three have very different looking albums but many of the same photos if all three are in it.

8. Karen

Karen Alarm off, brunch ON

Congratulations on the new arrival! :) Like you, I used to do a family album and then a separate album for each of my boys. Often I would just use the same page design and swap pictures, like you said, but I found that it was so much to keep up with and then more expensive to print all those extra albums, so I finally decided to just keep one family album. I did finish a "baby" book for each of them so they have separate albums for their first year, but after that, everything goes into one big book. It was just easier for me to keep track of and cheaper in the long run! I hope you find a solution that will work for you!

9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom Practically Perfect in Every Way

I would do separate albums for each kid when I paper scrapped. Now, it's mostly a family album. I'll put in pages that are kid specific, but if it's more than one page per event I'll start a theme specific album. I'll do this for vacations, Disney trips, scouts, sports, etc. otherwise I'd never get my albums done!

10. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I make one general family album, but have plans to separate the kids pages for graduation...thankfully, I have a few years left to work on that.

11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

One general family album of random moments, and I make sure the boys are each represented equally, lol! I count double pages. :)

12. Rovanice

Rovanice Active Member

Thanks all! Also for your feedback on how you do it. It makes me think of what I would like to do. I know I am happy with what I have from my past but I'm also a bit jealous on my husband, he has so much albums, my mom decided after a few years to take all pictures out of the albums to start a new one and she ended up with everything mixed.

I always think of what to do when they go living on their own, I want to give them all the albums with them but maybe we can print all the albums again.

Ok well, thanks for all the input, I can definitely find a way for my self I guess.

13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz blessed

Congrats! I've made all of my kids an adoption or baby album. Then I make yearly family albums. That way they each have one personal album and then shared family albums.

14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra Step aside, Arwen!!

I don't have separate anything for my kids album-wise. Too much work, not enough time.

I do one book a year (except for Christmas) that includes regular pages + PL pages all mashed together.