Duh Moment

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 21, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, Munchkin goes upstairs with two visiting boys to watch a movie. They start, it stops working. I assume it's a problem with Netflix. We switch to Disney+. Nope, still not working. Okay.....try the app through the tv instead of the PS4. Nope. Fine, pull out the DVD that we have of said movie (and think to myself - this is why I buy a hard copy!)

Go downstairs....and remember that day when I was playing with the router settings? And I pushed the limit button? Umm.....turns out that button doesn't work right on my router, so my router had soft shut off the internet! Whoops!

Sometimes a good old DVD beats dealing with technology.

norton94, LoveItScrapIt and Karen like this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

lucky u still have a DVD player! i think even those are becoming rare in households!

bestcee likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oops! Ha ha! Sadly we still have lots of DVDs in our house because my oldest still loves to watch his favorite movies that way rather than remembering which platform we own the digital version on. But it does seem easier in a lot of ways! I not just make sure buy the DVD + Digital these days just to have the option either way. :agree

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Like Karen, I buy the digital combo pack. :)

Once we moved our router from a back room to try getting better signal in the front of the house (the Ring doorbell had weak signal). What we didn't know was that, at junction box in the basement, the cable had been unscrewed. (All the lines come to one central locale, if that makes sense.) So while everything looked fine upstairs at the outlet, there was nothing coming through. We didn't realize it at first because DH's phone data was on, do he *thought* he had WiFi simply cuz a website loaded. D'Oh!

bestcee likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We had recent power outages and we have bemoaned the lack of our DVD player - we got new furniture in January and we didn't hook the DVD player back up, although we have plenty of DVDs in the cabinet. Instead of hooking it up when the power was out, though, we all stayed on phone data or off the internet entirely, choosing to watch antennae TV if we wanted something on. LOL

It's amazing how just in a few years how we've come to rely more and more upon the internet for daily activities and tasks.

bestcee likes this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

LOL Courtney! Good thing you had that DVD to cover you until you figured it out! I will rarely rewatch a movie, so I generally prefer a digital/streaming version so that the DVD isn't adding to the massive clutter around here, but DH is a big rewatcher, so he buys... even movies that he has liked in the past but will never end up watching again. There is a tower storage unit next to me full of DVDs (and some CDs), with the overflow stacked on top, and many of them have never even been opened. :rolleyes: About the only reason I like having a DVD is for the extra features like making of, director's commentary, bloopers, etc., but even then I have to really love the movie to bother checking those out, and they are also a one and done. :p

Your technology fail reminded me of something similar here. DS came home from work one night last summer after everyone was asleep, and his internet was out. Big crisis for him, since he wanted to do some gaming. The next morning we discovered that he was the only one without internet, so we did a bunch of testing and tracing at all the points along the line. (He's on one of those through the house electrical wiring hardline extension thingies.) We finally discovered that DH had knocked DS's cable out of the router when he was moving some things and hadn't bothered to fish it back out from behind the bookcase since he didn't think it was connected to anything. :mad: :eek: :giggle

7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

For sure, we have an older printer and it often loses track of the router that is sitting on the shelf below it. And yes, we have tons of DVDs and we still watch stuff on them. We even a bunch of old VHS because the kids would not let me give them away. We also have a VHS player that still works somewhere.

Speaking of old stuff and kids... I cleaned out the kid 1 (28), then 2, then 3 (18) toy box and all the little toys that still looked okay I donated to our church to put in Operation Christmas Child boxes. After all, we don't need small slinkies and plastic whales and metal cars. Well, the oldest and youngest were at the packing party and started pulling stuff out - "you can't give that away!" "I remember playing with that little action figure." Sigh - this is why I cleaned the toy box out by myself. Only the youngest insisted on taking home 3 things from the box.

wvsandy and bestcee like this.
  8. bestcee

Not only that, I have a relic! It's a 5 disc DVD player!!

We have them because I buy the digital/dvd combos too. Some are blu-ray/digital, but I like the all three the best. I found a way to store them in DVD sleeves and now it doesn't bother me at all that we have a huge collection. They don't take up much room this way, and are a great backup.

LOL! We've done this a lot. It's nice that they switch automatically, but it's a pain when you forget to check data on the internet connection!

Tree City and Karen like this.
  9. bestcee

Okay. How is the DVD played going to work with no power? What am I missing?

LOL! That's funny! I love that he figured it didn't matter.

Wow! We got rid of our VHS when our player broke and we weren't spending $30 on a new one.

Exactly! This should be the rule every new mom gets told.

KimJ likes this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Ha this is why my husband wants me to keep all the CD's he has, because all the music he had paid for and downloaded for years crashed unexpectedly and he LOST IT ALL....sealing his point that I cant throw away the CD's we have boxed in storage...I have 3 BIG TOTES of CD's damn technology:badputer:badputer:badputer

bestcee likes this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I still have a working VHS recorder/player. It isn't hooked up but is on a shelf in the basement. I checked to make sure it still worked when I cleaned out the basement. I still have a few VHS tapes that I recorded with a video camera years ago that I have not yet had converted to digital. I'll keep the VHS until that gets done.

I just bought myself an early Christmas present... something I have been wanting for 3 years. A Victrola 8-in-1 turntable. It will play all those albums I still have as well as cassette tapes and CD's. Yes, I still have some cassette tapes although the 8-track are long gone! You can also connect an iPod to it or even plug in a USB stick. The iPod can be connected both through jacks or the bluetooth. I was successful with the bluetooth route yesterday. And, there is an FM radio in it. I have no radio in my house so now I do!

wvsandy, sthomas51004 and BevG like this.
  12. gonewiththewind

Well, the power came back on pretty quickly, but the internet was down for almost the entire day/evening. I should have been more specific.

sthomas51004 and bestcee like this.
  13. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I actually did this last week, too. My son unplugged the power cord to plug in the vaccuum. I didn't realize he did that... but i wondered why my internet would not work... for several hours. *facepalm*

bestcee likes this.
  14. bestcee

Nice to see you! How's school going?

15. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Um... i haven't updated in quite some time... lol. I finished everything i needed for my AA last year (though i never requestedmy AA paper). I didn't continue after that... but my husband is now a full time ASU student. We both work full time, and then i also cart the kids around to various activities (basketball, football, cheer, etc) and am pretty involved in their school's PTO.

I am preparing to get back into scrapbooking mode. I missed it, and the Pad. :beat

16. gonewiththewind

Good to see your face around here again!!! You've been missed!

klee73010 likes this.
  17. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

See, Courtney, this is why I have to die before Dave. I have no clue what you are describing above. I can't even work the TV beyond the 3 steps I need to get to one of "my" shows. I also cannot work the thermostat for our house or deal with missed calls and voice mail on the house phone...or remember how to change the digital clocks (including the cars) with the change of daylight savings and standard times (why I want to ditch one or the other permanently). I finally told Dave, I'm content leaving the clocks at the wrong time during the SHORT standard time season, so I'm not changing them any more. He still goes around twice a year changing them. Sometimes when we seem to be having connection problems with the computers, I'll ask Dave if the router needs to be rebooted. Not because I know what it does or why it should need to be, but because I heard him say once, "Oh! I just need to reboot the router!"

But I can do Photoshop. I can even do Photoshop on an iPad! And I can edit photos. And cook. And make airplane reservations online, including having our boarding passes on our phones, and printing our bag tags!

So if I die first, the only thing Dave will have to figure out, is how to cook more than SPAM and black-eyed peas. But then, if he becomes a widower, there will be women lined up around the block bringing him casseroles and offering to sew buttons back on his shirts, etc.

ROTF LOL WMP

bestcee, KimJ and norton94 like this.
  18. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Oh my LOL I just had to think what WMP means... and then it hit me :)
    You are hilarious - love this

SharLamb likes this.
  19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Ok...I'm not sure what WMP means but if it's 'man' in the middle I get it!

20. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

I *think* it’s wet my pants (from laughing so hard)

bestcee likes this.