Camera Question (DSLR?)

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by krscraps, Jan 30, 2014.

1. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Hey guys.
    I'm looking to get to the next step in my photography (mainly getting out of P/S mode). I don't know if I'm ready for a full DSLR, so I was looking at the Olympus PEN cameras.

My local camera shop has the Olympus E-PM2 with two lenses on sale for $400. Amazon has the same camera for $480.

I'm renting a similar camera this weekend, but for those photography people out there, what do you think? Should I go for it, or should I wait for a DSLR?

Thanks!

2. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

3. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Yeah, I have a rebel and it wasn't that hard to learn. If you are willing to spend that much money I would just jump to the dslr.

4. candyK

candyK Member

I read a lot about the 4/3 cameras such as the Olympus and they are gaining in popularity since you have control and they are such a great size. Do some research-there are several brands now in the smaller size. Renting first and trying it out is such a great idea! What did you think of it? Olympus is renowned for their in camera effects.

5. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

My first camera above a point and shoot was an Olympus...it cost about $400 at the time. I cannot remember what type, not a DSLR but I was able to experiment with settings. My photos were crisp and clear...would still have it except it was stolen. :( I say- try out the Olympus PEN and see if you like it.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've never used the Olympus. But, I jumped from P/S to the Canon Rebel. It is a great camera. Obviously, the biggest thing to pay attention to is size. I am willing to carry my DSLR with me for most things, but I know the size is the kicker for most scrappers to leave it at home. (cough) Peppermint (cough).

I took a page from Katrina Kennedy's book, and took my DSLR to Disneyland. I wore it. No case. And except for the eyepiece getting lost, no harm was done to it. But I got some great pictures I wouldn't have normally. But I know that wouldn't work for other people.

7. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I would just take the jump. What if 6 months down the road you decide you want the dSLR after all? If you're gonna spend that much, as my husband says, "get the one you really want". You can shoot auto on a dSLR while you get familiar with it.

8. Dutch_Diva

Dutch_Diva The 80's called? Awesome!

I have a Canon Rebel t3i and love it but for one reason mentioned before. I actually shot more spontaneous pictures with my point and shoot because the bigger camera needs the battery, memory card, lens and for one spontaneous picture I quickly think oh never mind!

9. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I have told this story before, but when I got pregnant with my DD I researched a lot of cameras, and my DH told me to buy what I wanted (within general reason). I ended up buying a very high end hybrid camera because I thought it would be more inclined to use it more since it was so small, and then since it also had manual controls I could try to learn more if I wanted. Fast forward nearly three years later and my DD was almost two and my DS was 6 weeks old and I finally had to come to terms with the fact that almost all of my DD's photos from the first two years were blurry from shutter lag and slow speeds on auto. I would do just about anything to go back in time and buy an entry level DSLR and a 50mm lens.

Point and shoot cameras are good for a lot of people, but if you have *any* notion that you might want to learn about photography then I would go with a dslr. The lack of shutter lag alone is worth it.

I now carry a big DSLR and a heavy lens to any events we go to and never think twice. Hawaii, Disney, the beach...you name it. A Rebel or entry level Nikon is pretty compact nowadays and you can get a small profile 50mm lens and go to town.

10. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna save up and get a DSLR. There are a lot more options for it out there too.

(=