Birthday Traditions | Pad Patter 4.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 19, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Today is my beautiful daughter-in-laws birthday, so we had a quiet dinner and gifts, just the three of us and her with her daughter. They are here every day because I am keeping my granddaughter during this whole school closure/stay at home order, so no biggie that they were here an extra day of the week :). Anyway, they have a tradition in their house that the birthday guy or gal gets cake to the face at some point and since my son is still overseas and could only join us through video chat, he had their daughter do it instead. I think she knew it was coming and that they'd been plotting through text message, but it was still funny and they both ended up with cake faces!
    IMG_2330.jpg

So, I was just wondering... any fun birthday traditions at your house??

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

That's such a cute picture, Jan. I can't think of any traditions that we have like that. My mom's birthday was April 1st and my grandpa always pranked her on her birthday. He usually wrapped a bunch of boxes inside of each other and she had to unwrap all of them to get to her real gift.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Awww! That's funny and precious. Glad son had some input.
    Hmmm, cake in DIL's face--- a thought! :idea2 JK!:rofl LOL!!!!!
    Growing up we had the tradition of choosing our birthday dinner meal. Being November, I always chose Chuck roast, potatoes, & carrots, with Boston Creme Pie(to me it was a cake!) for dessert!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We give gifts to everyone in the household, although the birthday person gets more or the bigger gift. A birthday cake is traditional too, but we don't ice our cakes. The birthday girl/boy gets his/her favourite cake. Oh and Indian takeaway from our favourite restaurant.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Nothing major, we get to choose our birthday meal. When the kids were younger we gave them some input into the type of party they wanted.

Love your tradition Jan! It would make for some fun birthday layouts!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

lol that's fun! On our actual birthdays, we get to chose all the meals for the day &/or where we go out to eat on Friday (or get takeout since my son's bday was during quarantine!) I also make the kids half a cake on their half birthdays! ;)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We usually wake up the birthday person with a cupcake and candle all ablaze and then prezzies get opened in bed. The birthday person also gets to choose what dinner the family has.
    it sounds lame, but it works for us.
    i would be so put about if someone planted cake in my face.

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

My dad used to do that with my mom - wrap her gifts inside a bunch of boxes, especially if it was a nice piece of jewelry or something :)

:giggle:giggle:giggle
    Mmmmmm Boston Creme Pie!! I could go for some of that right now!!

It all sounds lovely!!

We usually do the meal thing as well. And you're right, I need to scrap some of their cake faces!! I don't think I've done very many of them outside of including them in PL!

I love the half cake thing...how cool is that!!

Opening presents in bed sounds so fun!!!
    ____

I went on a hunt for other photos lol
    Here's a picture from my son's birthday a couple of years ago. They tend to get a little extreme with each other...My granddaughter was a little more timid with it yesterday
    IMG_3503.jpg

Angela Toucan and Cherylndesigns like this.
  9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We keep it pretty simple around here. The birthday person gets to pick their favorite breakfast and dinner. We usually open presents first thing after breakfast so they can play with them all day. Then after dinner, we have cake of their choosing, usually made by my oldest daughter who makes awesome cakes. We also usually go out for a family dinner (they get to pick the place) sometime during their birthday week. It's pretty simple. We do bigger birthday parties at age 10, 13, 16 and probably 18 (our oldest turns 18 this year and we haven't planned it yet).

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We usually let the birthday person pick what's for dinner and what kind of cake they would like. For a LONG time I'd wake my boys up in the morning with this goofy cardboard and tinsel birthday hat. Last year or maybe even the year before my oldest wouldn't let me put the hat on him in the morning. :giggle My youngest still let me this year. Otherwise we keep it pretty low key.

11. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

DD turned 4 last week and I think we have just established our first tradition: making /decorating her cake together. Later, she described it to her grandmas on the phone as "the most beautiful cake in the world".

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That's so sweet!

I make whatever cake the birthday person wants. And my cake is always store-bought. LOL!

cinderella likes this.