♥'s day funny stories|pad patter 2.14.2018 ♥

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Feb 14, 2018.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I am not a Valentine's person.
    My mom wasn't and I learned from her. My hubby says he is a lucky man. but

long ago, when I was in the work force...
    I worked with about 15 women at a senior center that was filled with mostly senior women.

I showed up at work, and watched the deliveries pouring in.

YIKES?

I called my hubby and said,
    "I know I don't do Valentine's, but you are gonna look really bad if you don't send me something!"
    HE laughed, as he knew the women would mock him for years.
    He sent a beautiful bouquet with a silver jewelry box attached.
    The women were all happy and content with him.

The only Valentine I ever received, and I requested it! bhahha

Do you have a funny Valentine story, or even just a funny love story?

cfile and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

When we first got married, we talked about how long 70 years was to be married. So for our first anniversary, he sent me 1 rose and a note that said looking forward to 69 years with you. Ditto on year 2 with 2 roses and a note that said 68 years. Fast forward - I don't get the countdown notes any more (or a rose for each year). But I think we are headed for 70 years, assuming we live that long.

He usually stops at the grocery store on the way home from work on Valentine's Day for a card and flowers (and or chocolate). I am okay with that. Some years I get him a card and some years not.

3. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

It's not Valentine's Day per say... but a funny story of a meant-to-be-loving gift.

Our anniversary is a week before Christmas. In the early years, we tried to do anniversary AND Christmas gifts (and then a birthday gift for me, as my birthday falls two weeks after Christmas). We've since wised up and usually do a trip or joint gift, but anyhow...

Our fourth anniversary comes and the traditional gift was fruit or flowers. My husband decides to get me a plant. He chooses one he thinks is pretty, but it's ornamental cabbage. And I am actually allergic to cabbage. So, he tried, but he got me a gift I am allergic to. I still tease him about it!

4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My husband and I are not only not into Valentines Day but don't make a big deal about holidays in general.

Valentines Day is a chance to buy chocolate in different shapes. :rollin

So I can't think of any Valentines stories from previous years. However, my husband was here, getting ready to leave for work, when I read this post. I shared it with him and we laughed and talked about it. A few minutes later he told me he was thinking of staying out late tonight, and asked if that would be okay (especially because he worked late last night). Melodramatically, I exclaimed, "How could you?!" and gave him a hug. Then added, "Well, come back eventually." Short pause. "Well, not 'Ulysses eventually'. Sooner than that." Which made him laugh heartily, which I love to hear. A few minutes later I asked what he was going to be doing this evening and he said he'll be going to the game shop. (He paints soldier figures and plays tabletop war-games.) I told him that's great for Valentines Day. Hang out with your true love. He said maybe I'd join him for gaming someday, but he's not holding out for that. I said, "Only if it includes a scrapbooking tournament." :rofl

Now you know how silly we are. And I'm thinking this is going to turn into a scrapbook page! :love

Serena, bestcee, bellbird and 3 others like this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I like to have dinner with hubs on VD but we stay home, have something yummy and I always get a dessert for him. I refuse to spend the money to go to a crowded restaurant and be rushed thru dinner so they can get the table to seat the next in line. I prefer to have a casual night at home and watch a movie together.

The funny thing about VD is that hubs will usually ask me....are we doing cards for this???? He can never remember which events we give each other cards for LOL. This is because for some occasions we exchange cards and for others we don't but he can't ever remember :)

So he will ask me in the morning if its a card exchanging thing and then will bring a card home that night. He's so predictable, has done this so many times, I expect it and laugh at him. I don't eat much sugar now and he doesn't know which dark chocolate has lower carbs, so he gets off easy, doesn't need to get my any goodies.

6. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

On Valentine's Day, twenty years ago, while blowing out both his and my individual candle, he accidentally blew out the unity candle in the middle of our wedding. I was shocked and he was mortified! Our families were so upset that it had happened, some were laughing while others were grumbling about the formality gone wrong. He got the lighter out and couldn't light the unity candle; it just wouldn't light!! I can't remember who eventually got it to burn, but it wasn't him or I. Once it was flickering again we proceeded with our wedding. We still laugh about it to this day. He'll never live that one down!

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

We don't usually go out for Valentine's Day. With a chef for a son I know how stressed restaurants are and he always advised skipping the holidays. Of course he has had to make 1k of some items for those holidays...

However, one of our favorite places in Baltimore has the Valentine's Special tonight but last night had the same offerings for Galantine's Day. That sounded better since we couldn't go tonight. But I asked a gay friend if this might be a special night for gay couples but he said if so, one of us could claim to be transgendered. :hummm The owner is a friend of ours so we asked him about the name when we got to the restaurant. He said they mainly made it a special night for all those women (many that he knew) who didn't have a partner and it could be a nice 'girls' night out. In the end, there were couples of all persuasions and lots of group tables, mostly women. It almost became like a 'family' event as there is a very welcoming atmosphere along with delicious food. It IS Baltimore, hon. :heartslub

bellbird likes this.
  8. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

We've been married almost 41 years so Valentines Day these days is just going out to eat. In fact, I woke DH up last night to make sure we were both on the same page - no gifts, no cards. :) Years ago, though, we would do both. I would put cards and gifts out on the kitchen table for DH and the kids before I went to bed the night before. One year, he opened his card and gift, thanked me, and went off to work. Nothing for me. He came home. Nothing. We didn't go out because...kids. So I fixed a nice supper, we ate, still no acknowledgment of V Day from him. I was ticked. An hour or two later, he came downstairs to the family room where I'm sitting on the couch. He walks past me and tosses a tiny Whitman's candy sampler box in my lap. The kind with 4 pieces of candy that cost about a dollar at the time. Now, I was super ticked. So then he tells me to open it. I was so mad that I told him, "No, I don't want any candy." He kept insisting that I open it and I kept refusing. Finally, he said forcefully, "Judy. Open. the. box." With a flounce and and a "Fine!" I opened it and found a ruby and diamond necklace inside.

Yeah, we had a little talk later about how it's probably not a good strategy to make your wife angry before you try to surprise her. :D

A-M, dawnmarch, jenn mccabe and 4 others like this.
  9. AnneofAlamo

@bonnenuit Oh, did I gasp! what a great story!!!

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

We also had trouble lighting our unity candle at our wedding in July '96! We married on a rooftop terrace in a resort on a cliff above the Pacific Ocean, so there was a pleasant breeze. I can't remember exactly how we finally got it lit; maybe someone put their hand out to shield the flame. We thought it was hilarious -- the comedy part of our wedding. :D

11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love these stories!! We are pretty silly most of the time, but I'm drawing a blank on funny moments right now. I don't do Valentine's Day either. I usually pick up a little box of candy for the kids and grandbabies, and since I won't see most of them today, I'm going out tomorrow and hit the 50% off sales :) I picked up take-out Japanese tonight and dh and I don't do anything for each other. He knows that I will pitch a fit if he spends money on bouquets of cut flowers or chocolate. I'm such a tight wad :giggle

12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I don't really have a funny Valentine's Day story, as we really don't do too much for the day... but I did find out that my 95 year old grandmother was crowned the Valentine Queen at her assisted living :-) I keep checking their Facebook page to see photos!

Justagirl, bestcee, bellbird and 2 others like this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

We-e-e-l-l-l-l-l... Our first year of marriage (MANY years ago!) I created a Valentine's "outfit" made of red satin and lace. It was heart shaped- :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub:heartlub4 hearts. This outfit was NOT fit for public wear-( Use your imagination...)! Hubster loved it! Then in the Spring, we moved to another state and my Dad helped me. Hubster said Dad's expression was priceless when pulled out a dresser drawer containing the "outfit" in preparation for moving the dresser! I am SO GLAD I was not there at that time!!!!! I have never asked and never told anyone in the family about it, LOL!

14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

[​IMG]

Me too! My husband buys me flowers, gives them to me. And then later tells me "I got them at Trader Joe's/Costco/Walmart." Because those places have acceptable flower prices. But he never buys them for Valentine's or Mother's Day. I'd probably throw them at him for wasting money!

IntenseMagic and Justagirl like this.
  15. bestcee

We don't do Valentine's Day, or as my friend calls it "Commercialized Love". I actually told my husband if he proposed on Valentine's Day I would say no, just because. I think we spent too many years working in restaurants, hotels, and convenience stores to appreciate Valentine's Day. Nothing says love like the register girl at 7-11 asking if you need a rose for your sweetheart with your coffee. Especially when the response is a blank face until prompted with "Valentine's Day"? And then seeing the "Oh crap!" look. I did enjoy that - as only a teenager can.

Years ago, not sure how many, but we were college kids working at restaurants. I worked at Red Lobster, he worked at Old Spaghetti Factory. He came and picked me up. It was super late of course, and we were both tired. We went home, showered, and he said "I'm hungry". So, out we went to Walmart and the 24 hour McDonald's. Where we bought on sale conversation hearts, laughed at the guys rummaging for something to take home to mad wives (It was 2am!), and had a blast. It's still one of my favorite Valentine stories. And I don't think I've scrapped it yet.

londoncuppa, cfile and Justagirl like this.
  16. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

We dont celebrate Valentines everyday is Valentines ;)
    Our Anniversaries are no better they invariably start out with all good intentions. You know the usual humdrum like cook a meal together share some wine, play some music. But we inevitably end up over eating, the music becomes too loud so that gets turned off and the only sound we end up making is the cacophony of snoring on the couch!
    Them there are relationship goals people!

17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Not so much Valentine's day but dates.. my father told me I had the weirdest dates (when I was in my mid 20's and moved to Florida with them) One guy, my now SIL gave my number to when we were at a restaurant. He worked there. After about 3 months this guy calls me to go to the movies... I needed to get out of the house and the movie was summer vacation the movie with John Candy... so I was thrilled to get out of the house and do something as I didn't know anyone. When he came to the door, he brought me a package of (insert drum roll here) frozen scallops!! LOL (He must have gotten them from the restaurant.) BTW I never went out with him again!

Then I dated this other guy that I knew from being in NY and he too moved back to florida. For Valentine's day he bought me a tea rose BUSH ... he was an okay guy we had fun but he wasn't really my type.. it was nice to be out with someone I knew but that was about it.

It took my father and I a long time to "kill" that darn rose bush. (Dad didn't want to plant it) ... so that was the end of that.. I was only in FL for about 9 months after taking care of Mom and she was in remission. I then moved back to NY. LOL never did get anymore weird presents from anyone after that.

18. AnneofAlamo

Oh goodness @bestcee before kids, my hubby and I used to sit at Wal-Mart at 5pm, with popcorn and a,soda to watch men rush in for valentine presents.

Angela Toucan, Justagirl and bestcee like this.
  19. bestcee

I can't even wrap my head around this! Was it like: Hey, thanks for saying yes, here's some scallops?

cfile likes this.
  20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

It was just so odd.. lol.. so that was almost 28 years ago.. real hard to remember other than my opening the door and him handing me the package ..lol.. during the drive to the movie he told me he thought $5 an hour was great Re work and I was looking for a job having NY bills.. I am like what??? Lol back then min wage I think was $5 an hour. I had come from NY and was making at least $13 at that time an hour! Lol I thought to myself if he touches me I will hit him! Lol that was the end of that date!

bestcee likes this.