I'm so annoyed!!! UPDATED POST 48

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by lmccandless, Dec 10, 2013.

1. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Just seeing this... how sad! That person really has a respect issue and probably has no business being around kids... but I love Anne's poem. Until I read that I would have been on the phone. But I do see the merit in the honey approach. I'd probably want to see this kitchen person's response, and if they fail at that, then I would be complaining to the principal. If he's a grinch and fails, then I'd go to the district or the newspaper. They had no business butting in to a conversation to wrinkle the children's hearts. That is just plain MEAN!

2. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Wow, 6-7 years old?? That's just way too early to hear anything like this.. So sad. Keep us posted, Laura.

3. Dutch_Diva

Dutch_Diva The 80's called? Awesome!

ANNE that is awesome!! Now I would have THAT poem delivered to the Lunch Grinch.....BY THE ELF ON THE SHELF!!! :giggle

4. DoodleBop

DoodleBop Just call me Sweetcakes.

Wow, I just saw this! How terrible indeed. I would have been very upset as a parent as well. Anne, I love the poem you came up with. You never cease to amaze me. :) Laura, did it all work out? What was the outcome? I would love to know.

5. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

We don't do elf on a shelf here (seriously he creeps me out) BUT I would NEVER ruin it for little kids regardless of how bad a day I felt I was having ... what a rotten cranky person to do that ... she needs a great big hug and some fairy dust right in the eye!

6. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

oh I remember you menyioning this in the chat....so, so SO wrong!!!!!!!!! some kids can be cruel and try to kill a fantasy, I have seen that happening...but an adult????
    If she did that to my child, I wont stop until I get her firedm, and with a reprimend that she can never work in a school again!!!!

7. Ellie

Ellie Little Bunny Cupcake

That is terrible to hear. What a meanie spoiling the fun. Kids need more innocent fun, and not to grow up so fast!
    My ex husband decided he would tell our son (8 at the time) just after Christmas last year that Santa was not real.
    K was so devastated in that news. I tried the whole tact of "oh your Dad is just being silly and joking' but K was not impressed and felt like his Christmas was ruined-
    several months on, I just keep the santa thing up esp as I have 2 other littlies, and I found K talking to our elf on a shelf.
    I keep saying that he needs to believe so that santa will visit. and I think he wants to believe.
    Just another thoughtless and mean thing his father has done :(

Good luck with the talk. It really is unfair for someone to spoil something so fun and special for children.

8. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Update:

Sorry for being slow with the update!
    I found out from another mom friend that the same lunch lady had given the elf lecture to quite a number of first graders, which included my friend's daughter. We had a 10 minute appointment to see the principal together last Wednesday. We made it clear that we weren't angry, just disappointed and puzzled. We didn't want her to get in trouble. We simply wanted it communicat to her that her speech wasn't appropriate and she needed to stop. The first graders have been working on a unit about respecting the beliefs of others and learning that people have different holidays they celebrate this time of year, including Kwanza, Hanukkah, etc. I told the principal I felt the staff's behavior, even in the lunch room, needed to be consistent with that message. I also added that for us this is a fun part of the magic and innocence of childhood. I've long felt one of my most important duties as a mom is to keep that innocence around as long as possible. The principal handled it extremely well. He definitely validated our concerns and said he agreed fully with both points we made. He talked to the lunch lady twice about the situation to make sure she was clear. He phoned me to follow up and extend her apologies. So, while I'm still not thrilled it happened, I do think the school handled it as well as they could after the fact. Plus, I think the principal used it as an opportunity to visit with many of the staff about referring questions like the elves back to parents. Mission accomplished!

9. rfeewjlj

rfeewjlj Only ONE N, people, ONE!

Glad the talk seemed to go ok. Sorry it had to happen but hopefully it won't happen again!

10. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

big on innocence and keeping the right to stay a child for as long as you can...it goes way to quick as it is!

11. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

that is the motto I had with Sarita & I am so pleased she grew up accordingly.... because the innocence and the believing in magic has a HUGE input in how the handle big time things later in life...and I have seen that it works....outsiders should not interfere...

so glad to hear!!!
    Hope you have an amazing Christmas, full of love, laughter, family and everything to make a joyful heart...:)

12. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Glad to hear the principal was receptive. How is your little girl doing with the whole thing?

13. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I am glad he acted the way he did. We are doing a chapter about respecting and learning other's cultures and holidays too. It was super fun. Of course, my daughter wants to be jewish now. LOL!!!!

14. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

yay, I'm so glad it went well!

15. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

oh, so glad that turned out so well. glad you had another parent sided with you, I'm sure that helped :)

16. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Exactly!!

So glad you were able to talk to the principal. Hopefully the lunch lady will keep her opinions to herself from now on.

17. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

The eight days idea reel her in? LOL!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  18. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm just now seeing this post. I'm so glad you and another mom spoke with the principal about this. I agree that this could have been turned into a "this is what we believe and legally you can NOT discuss, let alone dismiss, those ideas" thing, and that could turn into overreaction and unnecessary discipline of the worker. So I'm glad that you were able to handle it with a more kind and open approach. And hopefully next year this person (and the whole staff) is more--how do I put this?--closemouthed when it comes to the children's obvious excitement as they share their traditions.

I'll be honest: we don't do the Elf on the Shelf thing and we downplay Santa. I'm not saying that I tell my kids that Santa isn't real, but we talk more about the good deeds ("giving is better than receiving") than about the gifts and the "he's watching you!" Elf stuff. But if I heard that someone--anyone--who works at DD's school made cavalier remarks about her beliefs, I would be livid. I mean, outhouse rat crazy-mad.