The Bronze Horseman Discussion (warning: spoilers)

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by HeatherB, Aug 26, 2011.

1. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Since we can't chat tonight, how about a thread to discuss the book?

I found The Bronze Horseman to be quite a slow read, but a real eye opener to what life was like for those in Leningrad during the war. To me, the author did a very good job making me feel as if I was right there, but I wasn't very sympathetic to anyone other than Tatiana.

I was hoping that some of the other characters would have been better developed, like the cousin and the sister.

And there were many times that I wanted to reach out and slap the characters and tell them to stop being so ridiculous.

Despite that, there were many scenes in the book that caught my heart, like the mother's despair at having her sewing machine sold by her mother-in-law.

I think the book was very well written, but I'm not sure if I liked it, rather more that I felt compelled to find out how the story was going to work out for Tatiana and Alexander. I actually have the next book out from the library ready for me to read as soon as I finish Here Be Dragons.

So, what was your take on this book?

2. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Overall, I did not like the book. Some parts I enjoyed and almost made me cry - the heartbreaking scenes of war and Tatiana's devotion to her family - but for the rest I found it either frustrating (like Tatiana's naive behavior at the beginning) or really slow (like when they are reunited in Lazarevo).

I had bought the 2nd book before reading the 1st and I'm glad I did, because I probably would not have bought it after reading The Bronze Horseman, yet I want to know what happens to them. I haven't read it yet, but it's my next one up.

3. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

Overall, I liked the book. I thought it was account of what it was like to live in Russia during WWII and I was sad for the people who had to live through it. I enjoyed the romance as well and that is really what kept me reading. Although there were many times I wanted to shake Tatia for her decisions. I went on to read the next two books, but towards the end of the third I gave up. I just didn't care anymore.

4. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I think that this is the thing that I liked the most about it. It was heartbreaking how devastating it was. I have a hard time imagining what living there must have been like especially from my comfortable home with easy access to everything, you know?
    And Tatiana's naivete at the beginning especially about drove me crazy, although she did redeem herself to me.

Personally, I could have done without the overly descriptive passages of love scenes, but that is just personal opinion.

I haven't decided if I am going to get the second book in the series or not. I have heard others say, like Lisa, that the second one is good, but the third was not worth the time.

5. Keely~B

Keely~B Klicker That Just Klicks

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I really enjoyed the historical aspects, I thought the best parts of the book took place when they were in Leningrad. I found the characters frustrating. I didn't like the reunion portion in Lazarevo either, redundant and kind of over the top.

I bought it for $1.99 and I thought it was good for the price. I don't normally read straight up romance so it's not something that I'd probably pick up on my own. I read an excerpt from the next book and it didn't make me want to continue with the series.

6. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I really enjoyed it - probably the most out of the three books. I did find the sex scenes to be over the top, and those normally don't bother me at all. I just thought they were way overdone and excessive. The imagery was very expressive and descriptive, and while it was heartbreaking, it really made the book for me. I had very little sympathy for anyone but Tania and Alexander - her sister drove me insane. I definitely thought it was worth the $1.99 I paid for it, and actually it was probably worth the $9.99 full price as well.

I've also read books 2 & 3, if anyone wants to discuss those.

7. AlliJ2008

AlliJ2008 Downsizing!

I liked it, especially at the $1.99 price. I liked the description of life in Russia during the war and I liked Tatiana more & more as the book went on. I have been tempted to read the 2nd but just don't want to pay for it. I need to see if my library has it then I won't be disappointed if I don't like it. I thought the sister was selfish & I wondered how she didn't see what was happening right in front of her eyes. I felt like Tatiana was a bit of a doormat but if she hadn't been then I guess there wouldn't have been a story.

8. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Alli, if you liked the first, I think you would like the second. They're both very similar in style and pace of the story.