*WINNERS ANNOUNCED* Then & Now | Summer School 2022: Week 3 HISTORY CHALLENGE

Discussion in 'Summer School 2022' started by bellbird, Jul 16, 2022.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

WINNERS
    Winner 1: $10 coupon tanteva
    Winner 2: $5 coupon Smileark
    Winner 3: $3 coupon Cath_

Congrats everyone! Please check your PM's soon for your coupon codes.

Hello! I hope you're enjoying Summer School! Welcome to the History challenge!

History is all about documenting the past, but also about connections between people, places and events that influence the present and future.

Life is full of change but also follows a natural cycle of repetition. As photographers and memorykeepers we can easily accumulate a backlog of photos that feel repetitive ("This is another bunch of Christmas photos") but also have differences in the details ("Oh, that's the year we had to celebrate over Zoom").

Using a 'Then and Now' approach to creating pages can be helpful if you struggle to scrap older photos or feel overwhelmed by a backlog of photos like me. I often use 'Then & Now' pages as photobook covers, with the photos on the cover spanning the years of photos I have on pages that are printed inside the photobook, as I don't scrap or print chronologically. It is like giving myself permission to scrap out of order and is quite freeing rather than restricting me. It means I can still scrap pages of more current photos but also prevents me from feeling like I'm continuing to fall behind in scrapping, and effectively gives me 2 pages in one. It is useful in demonstrating and specifying the connections as well as the similarities and differences in related photos.

Week 3 Challenge:

So this week's challenge involves scrapping two (or more) related images that show change (or a lack of change) over a period of time.

Specific Challenge rules:
    • Create a new layout with 2 or more photos with journalling that compares or contrasts the person, place, thing or event that you have captured over any length of time
      • You can choose an inspiration prompt from the ideas list below OR you can come up with one of your own that demonstrates History and follows the other History challenge rules.
    • The journalling or title must explain the link between the photos - journalling must be at least 1 sentence.
    • Mark the date on or near each photo you have on your page (approximate or year only dates are fine if using heritage photos)

Some inspiration and ideas to get you thinking and get some history into your scrapbooks!
    • That was Then and this is Now
      • does your child still build with Lego / create art / dance in an annual eisteddfod?
      • have you gone from holding your own baby to holding a grandchild in photos?
      • have you got photos of you paperscrapping or digiscrapping when you first started (nothing shows the passage of time like technology!)
      • have you got photos taken in the same spot of a place that you travelled to years apart, or lived in the same town for a length of time?
    • The Before and After of ...
      • someone or something before some kind of intervention or process - maybe you upcycle furniture or sew, knit, preserve fruit or you have made a significant lifestyle/behaviour change that changed you physically, mentally or emotionally!
      • pre-Covid selfie versus more recent 'maskie'?
    • The Difference a Year/ a Decade / a Month can make!
      • growth of a child from one birthday to another;
      • your garden in different seasons;
      • home renovation stages
      • do you have 'A day in the life' photos taken on the same day in different years?
    My page: My Then and Now page features an older photo of my daughter dressed in a suit for a dance performance and a more current photo of her in another suit but this time for a drama production. Her personality and attitude may have changed but she is still a character, in many ways.
    [​IMG]
    credits:
    LynneMarie | Genuine Firm Foundations 12 (background paper)
    Just Jaimee | Then & Now - Sept 2018 Storyteller Add On (elements)
    font: The Rose from Heather Joyce's The Golden Friends
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Then-and-Now-Storyteller-September-2018-Add-on.html
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Genuine-Firm-Foundations-12.html
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/The-Golden-Friends.html

Now it is over to you! Can't wait to see your History assignments!

Prizes:
    Winner 1: $10 coupon
    Winner 2: $5 coupon
    Winner 3: $3 coupon
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General Challenge Rules:
    - please refer above for the specific rules for this challenge
    - upload layout to the Lilypad Gallery
    - post your linked layout in this challenge thread
    - layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (templates count as 15%)
    - uploads must be less than 250k
    - list all credits; no off-site linking allowed
    Deadline is: Sunday July 24th 11.59pm EDT

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    norton94, umyesh and G.J. like this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

This post reserved for questions & clarifications

3. Smileark

Smileark Well-Known Member

I started this layout last night. My daughter has been bugging me to make it since I did a layout for the June challenges. She saw the earlier picture of her art and said, "I'm so much better now. I need to make a new one." Which worked out perfectly since the early picture was of her assessment for kindergarten so before kindergarten started and she did the now picture after the end of 5th grade or elementary school. Perfect then & now! Thank you for the challenge! And funny how it worked out that it fit today's challenge requirements!
    [​IMG]

4. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

5. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Wonderful challenge Josephine, here's my take on the challenge, full credits in gallery. Have a very beautiful day, and a fantabulous week ahead my dear !
    [​IMG]

norton94, goorawin and bellbird like this.
  6. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Mine shows how much my granddaughter has grown in less than 4 years. Both photos were taken near the ocean.
    [​IMG]

norton94, bellbird and goorawin like this.
  7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Two photos of my mom and my aunt Mariette ...

[​IMG]

8. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the challenge. When I was browsing through some photos of the children when they were younger I found this one of their grandparents teaching the older ones to play Uno. Then smiled as I remembered taking a photo of the two of them playing the game yesterday afternoon.
    [​IMG]

norton94 and bellbird like this.
  9. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

I did a before and after layout, it’s just one day between the photos but I hope that’s ok.
    [​IMG]

10. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

11. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Thank you for this challenge. Made me finally create this page that I've been thinking about: telling the story of my life before and after CBT.

[​IMG]

wvsandy, norton94 and bellbird like this.
  12. goorawin

goorawin Member

wvsandy and norton94 like this.
  13. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I love Then and Now pages so much! And all of these shared so far are amazing! Here's one of my favorites from an age ago now...(obviously I'm not playing in the challenge. Just wanted to play along and share) :beat

[​IMG]

14. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

My granddog. I used Lynn Grieveson
    [​IMG]

15. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

16. chai

chai Love to make a racket!

With a whole house renovation, I have so many before and after photos! I chose this project.

[​IMG]

17. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

The dates are on their first/last day of school signs- hope that's okay!
    [​IMG]

18. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

My son's food tastes have certainly changed (and become more expensive!) over the years:

[​IMG]

19. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for hosting Justine! I had so many different ideas for this one but I decided to go with Dumbo. :)
    Journaling: I love that we took the same Dumbo selfie without even planning it! Ride buddies seven years later!
    [​IMG]

wvsandy, bellbird and norton94 like this.
  20. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

This a hard layout to do

[​IMG]

wvsandy, bellbird and norton94 like this.