Rachel Jefferies - February Mixed Media Challenge!

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by DivaMom96, Feb 4, 2022.

1. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! I'm so excited to host this month's mixed media challenge for Rachel Jefferies!

Who can resist the lure of a pocket!? When I was a paper scrapbooker, I loved creating pages with pockets in which I could put tickets and other memorabilia of the event I was scrapping. I made mini books with pockets in which I could place things so that I would remember events. It’s no wonder that full pocket page layouts are still popular!

So, for our February challenge, we are going to play around with pockets. And, since this is a mixed-media/artsy challenge, we’re going to add some mixed media flare!

Your challenge is to create a page which includes a pocket – just one pocket. You must stuff that pocket full of goodies – papers, flowers, leaves, ephemera, photos, lace, ribbon, etc., and one of those items must be a heart! You must have a minimum of 10 items in your pocket. Please list your items in the forum thread when you post it.

I also want to see at least 3 layers behind the pocket – think paper, gesso, paint, stamps … anything you could splash onto the page before adhering the pocket. Please list your items in the forum thread when you post it.

Totally lost? Here’s a Pinterest Board for your inspiration.

Our fabulous Rachel made an absolutely GORGEOUS multi-layer pocket for us to use. You do not have to use this pocket, but it’s here if you want it. Download here or by clicking the image below.

rjefferies-FEB22-Pocketfreebie.jpg

RULES RECAP:
    The rules are as follows:

1. Create a layout using one, and only one, pocket on your page.
    2. You must have at least 3 layers behind the pocket – think paper, gesso, paint, stamps, etc. Please list your items in the challenge thread when you post.
    3. You must stuff the pocket with a minimum of 10 different items (ephemera, photos, flowers, leaves, papers, etc.), one of which must be a heart. Please list your items in the challenge thread when you post.
    4. Decorate the front of the pocket. No requirements here, just have fun.
    5. Photos are optional. Full page pocket pages are not allowed for this challenge.
    6. Title, journaling, etc., is up to you.

The Creative Team had a blast making examples for you. Here are few layouts to inspire you!

First, from Rachel!
    rjefferies-FEB22-youaremyperson (1).jpg
    My pocket contains: 2 different pre-made mixed media stacks, 1 label, 2 different paper piece strips, 1 star element, 1 flower sequins, 1 star confetti, 1 plastic button and 1 painted canvas heart
    Behind my pocket: collage from photo ready paper, paper strip, stitching, messy scribbles, stamps and date stamp.

Ann-Sofie
    feb2022chall-annsofie.jpg
    Behind there is 1 green pain, 1 brown paint, 1 crayon circle, teared paper and a stamp. In the pocket there is 5 foliage’s/grass, 1 confetti, 1 color chart, 1 ticket, 1 tag, 1 paper stripe and 1 heart.

alinalove
    51861481582_ff928488ef_o.jpg
    in my pocket i have heart, butterfly, rainbow, string, ribbon, sequin scatter, star sequins, color swatch, paper foliage, 3 balloon strings.
    behind my pocket i have 1 foliage, paint, stamps, wordart, paper piece, markings, golden sequins scatter.

Marilyn (a/k/a mcurtt)
    Rachel-Jefferies_2022-02_February_Challenge_Pocket_web.jpg
    Behind the pocket: fish, vertical paint at base of pocket, background paper, conch stamp, splatter.
    In the pocket: 2 photos, 1 sea plant, 1 paper snips, 1 flower (with button), 2 different fish, 1 tag, 3 ephemera pieces, 1 messy thread.

And my own example:
    [​IMG]
    My pocket contains: 1 card, 1 tag, 1 stitched heart, 3 pieces of dried foliage, 4 paper pieces, 1 paper heart, 1 ribbon, 1 flower, 1 mixed media stack.
    Behind my pocket: stamps, paints, gesso, stitches

Additional Challenge Requirements:
    * Your layout must be comprised of 100% Rachel Jefferies products; 90% must be currently available in her store. You may use up to 10% of retired products.
    * You may use items from Mixed Media Monthly collections of which Rachel was a part.
    * Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at TLP and list the products used in your credits.
    * For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST upload your finished layout to this thread. Please link your thread to your gallery image as it helps us leave love on your layout (and, validate your project).
    * No double-dipping…your layout must be used for this challenge only, no others. You must create a new layout for this challenge.
    * This challenge will remain open through the end of 28th February, 2022.

Prizes:
    Two lucky artists will be randomly drawn to win an $8 coupon to Rachel Jefferies shop. :clappy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

OOOOO this looks fun!! just downloaded the pocket and I will play in the morning!

Rachel Jefferies and DivaMom96 like this.
  3. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

OMGosh - I LOVE me some pockets - any kind of pockets. I'll be back with a page.

Rachel Jefferies and DivaMom96 like this.
  5. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you fr this challenge ❤️

[​IMG]

Behind my pocket: collage, paints, messythread, stamps, stitches, background paper

In my pocket: 3 flowers, 1 branch, 1 butterfly, 2 leaves, 2 foliages, 1 tag, 1 paper piece, 1 heart

6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here's my layout again, with a link back to the gallery & credits. Notice that my new and improved layout contains the heart that I missed as one of the requirements for the challenge. Oops! [>] :yup

[​IMG]

7. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Everything is Rachel Jefferies. This was fun!
    [​IMG]

Items below pocket:
    1. paper
    2. stamp
    3. sequins
    4. heart paint
    5. splatter paint
    6. paper piece
    7. paper scatter

Items in pocket:
    1. Green Branch
    2. Eucalyptus Brance
    3. Berry Branch
    4. Butterfly
    5. Ticket
    6. Paper Arch
    7. Paper Flower
    8. Black flower
    9. Heart sticker
    10. Picture

8. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

I loved this challenge Deborrah thank you!

Here is my page linked to the gallery with all of the credits
    [​IMG]

9. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Love filling pockets thanks for the challenge
    I filled pocket with 2 hearts, 2 photos, 2 stems, a flower, a butterfly, a tag, raffia, paper bows. Behind the pocket, paint splatter, paper and paint/stamp collage
    [​IMG]

10. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Ohhh I can't wait to play with this...

Rachel Jefferies likes this.
  11. Pachimac

Here's mine!

[​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies, ajm and Dady like this.
  12. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Thank you for the fun challenge!
    In my pocket: empehera (2x), tag, thread, paper, heart (2x), ribbon, foliage, flower and staple
    Behind: paper piece (2x), label and messy thread

[​IMG]

Rachel Jefferies likes this.
  13. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

Here is my page for credits! Great challenge and I love the pocket!
    [​IMG]

ajm and Rachel Jefferies like this.
  14. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

thank you for the challenge

behind: stamp.journal card.stars // inside: heart.flower.leave.button.paper.ribbon.tag.punchinell.paperpiece.arrow.tab

[​IMG]

Thuria, Roxana, ajm and 2 others like this.
  15. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the challenge

in my pocket
    flowers (8)
    birthday card
    tag
    threads (2)
    stitched mediastacks
    leaf (1)

behind the pocket
    leaves
    scatter
    mark making
    paint
    paper pieces

[​IMG]

Thuria, ajm and Dady like this.
  16. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

Love all the pockets!! Definitely making something for this challenge.

17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

This was fun! Thanks for the challenge.

[​IMG]

ajm likes this.
  18. Pachimac

Oh my gosh - we used a few of the same elements - but then originally I had that banner and that bird on the pocket too but then I decided to put my Mom's picture on it.

Twinsies!

19. Jess Claire Creates

Jess Claire Creates Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Background elements:
    1. Captivating basics background
    Stamps: 2. stripes, 3. splatters, 4. flower, 5. text

Pocket contents:
    1. Button cluster 2. Stem & leaves 3. Admit one tag 4. Style tag 5. Blue leaf 6. Blue stem & leaf 7. Ribbon 8. Lace 9. Peach flower one 10. Peach flower two 11. White gem flower 12. Black & white paper circle 13. Black & white paper heart 14. Peach heart

Decoration on the pocket: 10 ticket and star Brad (I liked the pocket itself and wanted most of it still showing).

Collections Used: Look Deep Into Nature Vol 1 Mixed Media
    I’m somewhere in between
    Trust the Journey Thrive Mixed Media
    Captivating Basics
    Happy Happy Happy collage bits and bobs

ajm likes this.
  20. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Looking now it seems I forgot my heart! So if I remember I'll reload this, but I'm not playing for prizes anywho, just fun! I need to get better at clusters so bad!!

[​IMG]

ajm likes this.