*WINNER ANNOUNCED* SEPT 2021 MONTHLY MUSE - WEEK 4

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Sep 27, 2021.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

WINNER FOR SEPT IS ANNOUNCED ---> HERE

Hi everyone and welcome to Week 4 of the September Monthly Muse Challenge.

Continuing on with this month’s focus of Chiaroscuro (the visual representation of light and shadow in art) we will be working with a silhouette.

A silhouette is the image of a person, an object or scene represented as a solid shape of a single colour, usually black, its edges matching the outline of the subject.

The art of silhouettes became popular in Europe and especially England in the 18th century, before photography was invented, as a way of capturing a person's (or object) likeness. Most silhouettes were small and created in a dark colour against a light background so they would stand out. Normally the outline of a person's head and shoulders would be captured by an artist in a sideways pose, the sketching would then be filled in with dark paint or cut out of black paper and stuck on a white card. Other materials were used as well, such as plaster or porcelain.

Week 4 Challenge: Use a silhouette in your layout
    Silhouettes are a prime example of how light and dark can be used in art to create a dramatic visual effect. So for this week I want you to experiment and use a silhouette in your layout. The silhouette can either be a pre-made one or you can create your own silhouette using your own photo. You may scrap about anything you like and you may use colour, just remember that your silhouette does need to have a solid colour base, and remember to sit it on top of a lighter background so you get the full effect of contrasting tones of light and dark.

Imagine
    For my layout, I wanted to use a silhouette created by our lovely LiLi Wee, I just loved how the girl's hair was flying out from her head! As I moved her into Photoshop, as luck would have it, the song Imagine by John Lennon started playing on the radio and I knew instantly that I wanted to incorporate those beautiful song lyrics into my layout.

12X12-AJ---IMAGINE.jpg
    Credits are in the gallery.

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you.

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to October 06, 2021 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! Every layout you create is equal to one entry in the random draw. So if you create 1 layout you are entered once, if you create 4 layouts you are entered 4 times. :)

You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Looking forward to seeing what you gals come up with this week!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    DivaMom96, Ga_L and CharlotteM like this.
  2. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

This is gorgeous!!!!

wombat146 likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Just fabulous, Ona!

wombat146 likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Here's my page. I used a silhouette of a castle that I found, copyright free, online.

[​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

LOVE your example!!!! I'm out of synch- laptop went dark a week ago- 20th- has been in the shop. Hoping to get it back by Wed. at the latest!!
    [​IMG]

6. wombat146

Keeping fingers crossed that it gets fixed sooner than later Amanda! :yup

AJK likes this.
  7. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

wombat146 likes this.
  8. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I miss your presence in the Monthly Muse! I too hope you get your computer back all healed!

AJK likes this.
  9. Hildy

Hildy Member

Très belle idée !!! Merci !

wombat146 and AJK like this.
  10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Thank you!!! I'm borrowing DH's old computer from school and a free trial of PS21 for now, but that still leaves sooooo much missing- like 99% of my TLP purchases. Hopefully Thursday !!!!

11. wombat146

I went through the same exact thing Amanda about 10 years ago, I used to keep all my products on my laptop and then lost it all! :( I now have an EHD that houses all of my products, photos etc, so that the only thing on my hard drive are the programs I use. :) Hope it all works out for you! :)

AJK likes this.
  12. wombat146

Hi Hildy! :bwave, looking forward to seeing your layout, I know how creative you are! :)

13. Hildy

Hildy Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Dady likes this.
  14. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Ona for this challenge !

[​IMG]

15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I have an EHD- two actually! lol But they need a laptop to work! The repair people are replacing the hard drive, and then reloading it. :)

16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

17. wombat146

haha! of course, sorry, I misunderstood you. LOL! :giggle:duh

18. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I will pretend I live in Alaska so it is still the 30th Sep. Thanks for the challenge. I really enjoyed it
    [​IMG]

AJK and wombat146 like this.
  19. wombat146

Vivi, you had until Oct 6 this month as I posted the last week a bit late. :) Fabulous page, love all the kitty kats you have featured each week!! :)

Nemla likes this.
  20. peppapig

peppapig Member

wombat146 likes this.