March Monthly Muse - Week 1

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Mar 2, 2021.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

[​IMG]

Hello and welcome to March's Monthly Muse challenge, entitled Proof of Living.

For this month's challenge Barbara came across this thought provoking magazine article that used the analogy of how a tree's time rings can be used to describe how we have lived through various scenarios in our own lives.

"When we look closely at the rings of a tree, often we can perceive more than just the length of it's life. Woven into the variation of color are clues about the years that were rich with rain, as well as those that were dry. Signs of bounty, perseverance, and survival. This piece of nature feels especially apt as we look back at the themes of our year: purpose, risk, rhythm, and rest. There is peace that comes with acknowledgement we are not meant to have rings that measure evenly from start to finish. But that in the varied size of each ring, in the everchanging conditions of each year, is the real proof of living." (Magnolia Journal no. 17 | rest https://shop.magnolia.com/products/magnolia-journal-winter-2020)

For this month, our weekly prompts will be:
    Week 1 | Spring/Purpose
    Week 2 | Summer/Risk
    Week 3 | Fall/Rhythm
    Week 4 | Winter/Rest

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Week 1: Spring | Purpose
    "To approach a new beginning with purpose is to dive deep on a search for that which stirs you. And when you find it, to let that be your compass. While committing to a purpose can sometimes feel daunting, there's grace in trusting that where you are today matters for you for who you will be tomorrow."

More than ever my garden has become the main focus in my life, it is my compass and my purpose, it is a part of who I am and who I will be tomorrow. My garden is my refuge, my special place where I can dream and think, watch the wildlife around me and simply immerse myself in nature.

I have always loved gardening but during the last few years at our old place on the Australian mainland I had turned away from it a bit, the hot weather was unbearable to work with so I slowly lost interest in it. In 2017/2018 we made a monumental decision to move down to the most southern state of Australia, an island state called Tasmania. I can't begin to describe what a wonderful decision that was! We left behind all our family and our friends but we were both ready for an adventure and we have not regretted it at all! Not having any family or close friends close by, my thoughts and energies have once again turned back to gardening. I have rediscovered my love for growing things, watching and photographing the birds that come to visit and in general just being outside in the glorious weather.

For me Spring always feels like a beginning for me in the garden. I eagerly await those first daffodil flowers to bloom and then watch in delight as day after day different plants start to flower. For me it's a time to implement the dreams started in winter, to begin planting the flowers and shrubs I have acquired either from the nursery or transplanted from other parts of the garden in the previous autumn/winter months. Deciding what shrubs will stay and which ones will be moved during the next autumn, what parts of the garden look okay and which ones I will start to refresh and/or replace. My head is simply full of ideas and thoughts on what I want to do.

So for my layout this first week of Spring in the northern hemisphere, I created a page with what a part of my garden looked like the first Spring were here in our new house (Sept-Nov'19). During this month of muses I will go on to scrap the transformations that happened the following Summer (Dec'19-Feb'20), Autumn (Mar-May'20), Winter (June-Aug'20) and then I just may do it all again and make a complete album of how my garden has changed over the time we have been here! :)

12X12-SPRING-2019---SPRING-PURPOSE-800.jpg
    Credits are in the Gallery

Challenge Guidelines Week 1:

Of course your layout can be about anything that signifies what Spring/Purpose means to you, it could be your family, a special project or something else that holds a special place in your heart. I am really looking forward to seeing how you all interpret this week's muse, you all have such wonderfully creative minds so I am sure that I will be seeing some pretty special art being created!

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly ok or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to March 31st, 2021 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Ga_L, G.J., marijke and 3 others like this.
  2. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

Fantastic challenge and love your page and plans for your future weeks! :clap

wombat146 likes this.
  3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

The first thing that makes me think it's my job, but I just lost it so I am not sure this is the perfect theme. Let me think about it.

CaroB71, Cherylndesigns and wombat146 like this.
  4. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I just read that issue of Magnolia!

ArmyGrl and wombat146 like this.
  5. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

I would love to get those magazines but the postage to Australia is horrendous! virtually 3 times the actual cost of the magazine itself! :(

6. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

7. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Oh no. I am so sorry!

Dalis and Cherylndesigns like this.
  8. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I have two for this challenge. Both are with a bit of Winter vibe...because I feel like I am slowly coming out of winter hibernation. I think I will another soonish...with a full Spring vibe. Lord knows I LOVE flowers and SPRING!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ga_L and sbpoet like this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh I'm so sorry, Dalis. :(

Dalis likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Wonderful Monthly Muse and thought-provoking, as always. Thanks, Ona! @wombat146

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  11. Dalis

I just keep pushing through. Maybe it will be a good thing to journal about it.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  12. Dalis

Maybe this is the perfect way to deal with it.

13. Cherylndesigns

It definitely would be! Sorry to hear it, though. :(

Dalis likes this.
  14. CaroB71

CaroB71 Why, yes, I DO know the answer!

So sorry to hear that @Dalis

AJK and Dalis like this.
  15. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

My ATC for this week.
    [​IMG]

16. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

This is really challenging to me!

17. Cinzia

Cinzia Well-Known Member

Thanks for the challenge.

March2021_AJ_Wk1_Spring_.jpg

G.J. and Dady like this.
  18. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

I am so sorry, Dalis. I just prayed that you find a new job you absolutely love. One that will bring you joy and last a long time.

I thought the content presented in the excerpt on tree rings was quite interesting. Hope I can think of what to do with it with a layout.

G.J. likes this.
  19. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the muse. here's my take
    [​IMG]

20. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

like each year, I try to make a garden. but I'm not very good for that. this year I try something new

[​IMG]