January 25: Design on an Angle

Discussion in 'MOC 2021 Challenges' started by bcnatty, Jan 24, 2021.

1. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

January 25: Design on an Angle

Hello Everyone!!
    Woohoo!! You have less than a week to go...you can do it!!!
    I am here bringing you a design challenge today: Design on an Angle. When I first signed up to host this challenge, I thought that this would be a piece of cake. But the more I sat and thought about it and looked at my samples, the more my brain shouted "NOOOOO!!!" There is just something about the whole design being skewed that just seems so wrong to me...but the MOC is a challenge, not just to complete all 31 layouts, but also to push you outside your comfort zone. And this is definitely outside my comfort zone!!

Your challenge today is to have everything on your layout on an angle, nothing on your layout can be completely vertical (90 degrees - straight up and down) or horizontal (straight across). I found the easiest way to do this was to make your layout as you would normally, and then select everything and turn it all at once.
    BUT...if you want my brain to cry out even more you can rotate layers separately. Meaning, you can have one layer tilted at least 15 degrees clockwise and the next layer tilted at least 15 degrees counter clockwise. Each layer must be easily recognizable as being tilted at least 15 degrees!!!

You must have everything on an angle of AT LEAST 15 degrees, except for the background paper. Now I'm not going to get out my protractor for every single layout...but keep in mind, I am a physiotherapist, and I have an internal protractor for angles built into my brain (it's part of what I do for a living!!).

No part of your layout is allowed to be less than 15 degrees or an exact 90 degrees (again, except for the background paper).

And that's pretty much it...seems simple, unless your brain is like mine and just wants everything to be straight and even!!

I made a couple examples for my challenge, and I'll even walk you through how I made them!!

Here is my first layout...Epic Food.
    You can see that I made it how I would regularly scrap...in nice straight lines, that my brain craves!!

[​IMG]

After I was pretty much finished it, I selected all the layers, except the Background Layer and performed a free transform on it (Ctrl T) in photoshop. Then I went to the corner, so my arrow was curved and holding down shift, so it didn't change the proportions of my layers, I rotated it until it was 17.5 degrees.

[​IMG]

After that, I moved and resized it a bit and ended up with this final product...

[​IMG]

Here is another example, skewed the opposite way and a little more filled...
    Again, I started with making it the way I would regularly scrap

[​IMG]

Then, selected all the layers, except the Background Layer and rotated it counter clockwise 15 degrees.

[​IMG]

Then I realized that there were a couple gaps, so I had to add in a couple different papers and shift the entire thing a bit. And don't tell my brain this...but I actually kinda like this!!

[​IMG]

I even decided to make one with layers in different directions (mind blown!!!)
    I rotated some main layers 20 degrees clockwise and you can see how some layers are perpendicular (70 degrees counterclockwise) to those layers.

[​IMG]

And check out this beauty by Amanda (@amandaresend)

[​IMG]

To recap:
    1. Everything, except the background layer, on your layout must be at an angle of at least 15 degrees (clockwise or counter clockwise).
    2. You can have layers tilted different ways, but each layer must be easily recognized as being tilted at least 15 degrees
    3. You cannot have any part of your layout completely vertical (straight up and down) or horizontal (straight across)
    4. Have fun!!!

Please keep in mind:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

2. bcnatty

Keeping this spot for questions!!

1. Quick question. I know you said that we couldn't have anything with an angle of less than 15 degrees. Would it be disqualified if i do my journaling in a starburst? For example, a line of journaling at 85 degrees, 75 degrees, 65 degrees, 55 degrees, 45 degrees, 35 degrees, 25 degrees, 15 degrees, 5 degrees, and then continue down -5 degrees, -15 degrees, -25 degrees.... So everything is "off angle," but a small part of the design is between 5 and 15 degrees? I you say that's not OK, i will absolutely honor your challenge rules. I just wanted to check up front so I don't go down the wrong path!

I guess if I wanted to be super-compliant, I could space things at 32 degrees apart and have a line of journaling at 16, -16, 32, -32, 48, -48, 64, -64, 80, and -80. Or is the 80 less than 15 degrees away from 90 so that wouldn't work, either?

Everything must be at an angle of at least 15 degrees clockwise or counter clockwise. Placing your journaling or any layers at 80/-80 degrees or closer to 90 degrees would be fine. I just want to avoid anything in between -15 to 15 degrees

2. Are photoless pages ok?

yes they are!!

3. Can we use a template?

Yes, but keep in mind that anything added to the page must be at an angle

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    crazsquaw and G.J. like this.
  3. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I love this challenge!

Quick question. I know you said that we couldn't have anything with an angle of less than 15 degrees. Would it be disqualified if i do my journaling in a starburst? For example, a line of journaling at 85 degrees, 75 degrees, 65 degrees, 55 degrees, 45 degrees, 35 degrees, 25 degrees, 15 degrees, 5 degrees, and then continue down -5 degrees, -15 degrees, -25 degrees.... So everything is "off angle," but a small part of the design is between 5 and 15 degrees? I you say that's not OK, i will absolutely honor your challenge rules. I just wanted to check up front so I don't go down the wrong path!

I guess if I wanted to be super-compliant, I could space things at 32 degrees apart and have a line of journaling at 16, -16, 32, -32, 48, -48, 64, -64, 80, and -80. Or is the 80 less than 15 degrees away from 90 so that wouldn't work, either?

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

yes, I'm a former accountant, so I tend to over-think things.

4. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Here is my page, thanks for the fun challenge! Everything is at a negative 15 degree angle :heartlub
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  5. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

Well, that was fun! I made my LO, rotated 24 degrees, and then added the shadows, and done!

[​IMG]

bcnatty, MrsPeel, Smwhite and 2 others like this.
  6. AlyciaIN

AlyciaIN Well-Known Member

7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    Thanks for posting early. I used 15 degrees.

bcnatty, trekmom, G.J. and 2 others like this.
  8. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Great challenge, it made kind of a blah page much better. THANKS

[​IMG]

9. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

10. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

[​IMG]

The background paper already had the stripes on the angles. I didn't do that.

bcnatty, trekmom and G.J. like this.
  11. bcnatty

:dizzy:lmao
    This is the best question ever!!! I see what you're asking, and it would be cool to have your journaling like that...but the rules state that everything has to be at an angle of at least 15 degrees. The 80 degrees would be fine, because it was just the -15 to 15 degrees that I wanted to avoid.
    Does that make sense?

G.J. likes this.
  12. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

I slanted the scatters from the way Kristen arranged them.

[​IMG]

bcnatty, trekmom, wvsandy and 2 others like this.
  13. Saar

Saar Well-Known Member

I created my page like I usually would. And than rotated it 15 degrees.
    The black stars and the stitches on right were already in the background paper. The flower on top is also part of the background paper. I hope that is okay.

[​IMG]

bcnatty, Smwhite, trekmom and 5 others like this.
  14. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

15. wvufan04

wvufan04 Well-Known Member

Oh yes, this sounded easy but was harder for me to actually do because I like straight lines too and everything lining up. I tried to really embrace the challenge though and went with angles all over the place - and with a family zoom call chaotic seemed a good fit. I did rotate the flowers in the lower left corner and right center - but not sure that you can tell (they were each rotated at least 20 degrees) [​IMG]

bcnatty and G.J. like this.
  16. CarolynJoyce77

CarolynJoyce77 Snozberries? Who ever heard of a snozberry?!

17. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Sounds interesting!
    Are photoless pages ok?

18. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

Thank you for posting early!

bcnatty likes this.
  19. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

20. Skivvy

Skivvy Well-Known Member

This is such an easy technique to really change your page. I don't know why I don't use it more.
    [​IMG]

bcnatty and G.J. like this.