NBK Design - Advanced Challenge - October 1-31 **Closed**

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by mcurtt, Oct 1, 2020.

1. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Hi everyone. It is Marilyn here, and I'm excited to be hosting my first challenge for NBK Design. :-) While I have used the Transform/Perspective tool in Photoshop many times, I found this simple youtube video about using the Vanishing Point. As it turns out, it is quite a simple but effective technique.

For this challenge:
    • Select a photo that has vanishing lines in it. i.e. railroad tracks, a road or a building
    • Create a layout using this photo.
    • Add a graphic to your original photo. If available, try using Photoshop's Vanishing Point filter to place your added graphic.
    • Blend that graphic into your photo, using whatever blend mode or technique you would like.
    Here is a short youtube video for explaining Vanishing Point in Photoshop:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't have Photoshop Elements, but Vanishing Point may not be an option for you. For your added graphic, try using the Free Transform as an option. Here is an excerpt from: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/transforming.html

Freely transform an item in Photoshop Elements:
    The Free Transform command lets you apply transformations (rotating, scaling, skewing, distorting, and perspective) in one step. Instead of choosing different commands, you simply hold down a key on your keyboard to switch between transformation types.

1. In the Edit workspace, select the item you want to transform.
    2. Choose Image > Transform > Free Transform. If you are transforming a shape, choose Image > Transform Shape > Free Transform Shape.
      Note:

If you select a photo that is a Background layer (such as a photo imported from a camera or scanner), you are given the option of turning it into a regular layer so that you can transform it.
      (Optional) To change the point around which the item rotates, click a square on the reference point locator [​IMG] in the options bar.
    3. Do one or more of the following to transform the object:
      • To scale, drag any handle of the bounding box. To scale the width and height proportionally, either press Shift as you drag a corner handle, or select Constrain Proportions in the options bar, and then drag a corner handle.
      • To rotate, move the pointer outside of the bounding box and drag. When positioned outside the bounding box, the pointer becomes a curved, two-sided arrow [​IMG]. Press Shift and drag to constrain the rotation to 15° increments.
      • To distort, press Ctrl (Command in Mac OS), and drag any handle. When positioned over a handle, the pointer becomes a gray arrowhead [​IMG].
      • To skew, press Ctrl+Shift (Command+Shift in Mac OS) and drag a handle in the middle of any side of the bounding box. When positioned over a side handle, the pointer becomes a gray arrowhead with a small double arrow [​IMG].
      • To apply perspective, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Command+Option+Shift), and drag a corner handle. When positioned over a corner handle, the pointer becomes a gray arrowhead [​IMG].
    4. Do one of the following:
      • To commit the transformation, double-click inside the bounding box, and then click the Commit button [​IMG], or press Enter.
      • To cancel the transformation, click the Cancel button [​IMG], or press Esc.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a video I found for Affinity:

And here is my example:
    [​IMG]

I chose this paper from NBK Design's Focus Collection for my vanishing point pattern:
    nbk-focus-papers-pattern-06.jpg

This challenge runs from October 1, 2020 to October 31, 2020
    TWO lucky scrappers will be randomly chosen to win a $5 coupon to the NBK Design store.
    You must use 100% NBK Design Products.
    Post your layout in the NBK Design Gallery and in this forum, and link your layout to the gallery.

If you have questions, please feel free to tag me, @mcurtt. Have fun! I can't wait to see your creations.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  2. TrishD

TrishD Well-Known Member

Thanks for this great Challenge Marilyn, can't wait to see some awesome layouts
    [​IMG]

3. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

Ok. Marilyn, I'm coming in close to the wire...bet you thought I forgot!!! LOL.

Here's my layout..... so I blended 4 branches from the Hygge collection on the pier and they actually look like they belong there....so much so that I add the reddish fall plant stems into the field just so you could see them blended in. I love this Hygge collection...... Thank you for this fun challenge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Trish and mcurtt like this.
  4. mcurtt

Esther, I can't wait to see what you create. :-)

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Very interesting challenge, Marilyn! I love your example page - I'll have to play with this.

mcurtt likes this.
  6. mcurtt

I hope you enjoy the process. Looking forward to seeing your layout. :-)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  7. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the unique challenge, Marilyn. Here's my take on your challenge.

[​IMG]

G.J. and mcurtt like this.
  9. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

What a great challenge! Thank you for the tutorial; it was very helpful and I learned a lot. Here's my take on it.

[​IMG]

G.J. and mcurtt like this.
  10. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

What a great first challenge. thank you Marilyn! I could not for the life of me understand how to use the vanishing point filter, but I made a paper with paint marks and then fiddled with it until it fit the road. It's the best I could do.
    [​IMG]

trekmom, G.J. and mcurtt like this.
  11. mcurtt

The main objective here was to work with vanishing points and you did awesome! I can understand your frustration. I work with CS5, so it isn't all bells & whistles. I had to rewatch the video several times. My big mistake was not invoking the filter on a blank layer above my photo. And once I got the perspective plane selected, it didn't always snap into place for me. I had to drag it down into position (a number of times before I got it right) and then voila! Sorry I can't be of more help, because seriously, I have no idea why it worked sometimes and not other times. I just blame it on my version of Photoshop.

G.J. likes this.
  12. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

i have the latest version of ps and dont see a grid i can make the lines in vanishing point but no grid and then when i copy the graphic ( which is a nbk paper) it doesnt snap into anything . ugh...any ideas how to help me. love learnoing and trying to learn how to do vanizhing point

13. mcurtt

Did you read my comments to Electra above? I had issues as well, but in the end, when it worked, it was quite fun. Remember to try using the vanishing point on a BLANK layer above your photo. Keep your photo in a separate file and try the technique, don't try it with your photo in a layout. And then when you have added the graphic, remember to copy/paste. Try rewatching the video. You may be able to find other youtube videos with the technique. I tried to pick one that appeared to be the simplest version. And if all else fails, you can simply transform your graphic using perspective. I will accept that.

I just duplicated a vanishing point now, so I wrote up my simple steps:

Work from the bottom up in these directions:
    3. Top layer: blank layer (listed as Layer 1 below) where you will be using your vanishing point. When you are on this layer, invoke your vanishing point filter. Click to add the points where you want your perspective to be. Since your graphic is hidden (but copied) you will see your original photo that is in the bottom layer. After you have added your points, click CTRL V to paste your graphic into the vanishing point. While my graphic pasted in, I had to drag it into the vanishing point selected area (several times until it worked). When I hit the right area, it automatically snapped into the vanishing point area.
    2. Middle layer: your graphic (CTRL click to select the entire layer, then CTRL C to copy, then hide this layer)
    1. Bottom layer: your photo

Here's a couple of screen shots of something I just did, not my final layout:
    Note the layers. The top layer (layer 1 listed below) was originally blank, applied the vanishing point filter here when it was active, selected my points, then copied my graphic. You can see the graphic copied into it here, following my sloppy vanishing points.
    upload_2020-10-6_12-53-5.png

Here is what I ended up with, using EXCLUSION on the vanishing point layer that had the graphic copied into it.
    upload_2020-10-6_12-57-40.png

I did find another article, but it is written out, no video. Perhaps that will help? It is quite lengthy, but scroll down to the section entitled: Paste an item into Vanishing Point
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/vanishing-point.html#:~:text=Choose Filter > Vanishing Point.,guide when creating the plane.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    bjc likes this.
  14. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

trekmom, got2digiscrap and mcurtt like this.
  15. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

thank you . i am determined to figure this and will keep trying . i am using photoshop 2020 cs and found another video .

its directions are a little different but i still couldnt get it to work. i can do the vanishing point filter but then when i copy and paste my graphic it doesnt do more than add the layer and it isnt in the perspective form so nothing basically has happened .i am trying to use this photo . is this a good photo to use. it was hard to find a photo that had a perspective or vanishing line. i am just so frustrated and hoping to figure this out IMG_4681.JPG IMG_4681.JPG

cfile likes this.
  16. mcurtt

@bjc I had the same problem. Try dragging the graphic to the vanishing point area (that is highlighted in blue). I had to drag, drag, and drag again until all of a sudden it snapped into place and took on the perspective qualities. I have no idea what I did to get it to work, but I did try different locations to drag it to. I assumed mine didn't work because of me using CS5. I went searching the web for vanishing point hints, and one of them referenced "jostling" the graphic until it snapped. That's a good description. :-)

And your photo is perfect, just a bit of masking where your subjects are.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    bjc likes this.
  17. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the great challenge Marilyn ... I learned something new ...

[​IMG]

trekmom, bjc and mcurtt like this.
  18. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

stillworking on this... how do i delete the vanishing filter . when i go back to vanishing filter it is still the one i made and i want to make another one but dont know how to get rid of the previous one goggled and figured out so never mind. finally finished a layout and learned so much.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    mcurtt likes this.
  19. mcurtt

I don't have great news for you. I had the same issue. I ended up deleting my old file, opened up a new photoshop file with my photo. I believe that worked. Or maybe if you deleted the vanishing point "blank" layer it would allow you to create a new one. But I think I tried that too, had to resort to a new Photoshop file entirely.

20. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

finally i got it .... i love the new technique and learning new stuff.. thank you for this challenge

[​IMG]

trekmom and mcurtt like this.