Procreate

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SharLamb, Apr 19, 2019.

1. NBK-Design

NBK-Design Designer

There are different apps available in the AppStore like
    Image Size it’s free and works like charm. You can open it directly from procreate. It works on iPhone and iPad

[​IMG]

Nicole | NBK-Design

jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Thanks Nicole. You are such a wealth of info for us w/this topic. Will check it out. That frame is gorgeous by the way. which kit is that of yours?

3. NBK-Design

NBK-Design Designer

@jenn mccabe
    Thanks Jenn I am happy that I can help here with this topic. I am totally addicted to scrap on ipad and always try to figure out new solutions and techniques.
    The Frame you've ask for isn't a frame. Its a placed paper with a warped shadow on a white background. You can see that in the Video I've attached.
    I've used my new released artCrush no15 for that Layout. https://rebrand.ly/nbk-AC15

Li Li Wee and jenn mccabe like this.
  4. jenn mccabe

thanks Nicole. I am headed out to my daughter's Crew Regatta late this afternoon and in-between races I will be watching! :agree

NBK-Design likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I've wondered about ipad scrapping but all my stuff is on my laptop. Maybe someday, I'll try it. Heck I have PSE 2019 still sitting here waiting to be installed. I got it from hubby as a Christmas gift. I've been too busy to even install it.

[​IMG]

6. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

kissed the frog!

7. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I'm back. I caved. I decided that I didn't want my calendar and my "spiral notebook" in separate places, so I bought GoodNotes to use along with Keynote (so I can make hyperlinks) and Procreate. I followed an awesome video tutorial by Carrie Crista () on how to do it. She uses GoodNotes 4 in the tutorial, and I can't find anything like it for GN 5. But after buying 4 and making the notebook, I also got the upgrade to 5 (I think I got it for no extra charge), then tried to import the book I made in 4 to 5. Everything worked fine, except the hyperlinks are not accurate. I've got a question about that in to Carrie and awaiting a response. It was work, but I totally enjoyed the whole process. I just wish I could get the hyperlink issue resolved (ie., when I click the May link, for instance, it takes me to the November calendar). Since Keynote comes with my iPad, and GoodNotes is only $8, it was a very reasonable way to get everything handier. One of the first pages I made in my new book is the list of TLP challenges. I can just copy/paste the basic page each month. I feel like I've gone back to college...learning so much new in so short a time. LOL (If it is not okay to have the video link, let me know and I'll remove it. Since it isn't a link to a store, I thought it would be okay.)

gracielou likes this.
  8. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

This looks awesome. Thank you for posting. I think I will have to watch the video several times to really understand it all since after the first time through I am still clueless but this looks exciting. I would have never thought to do this digitally.

9. SharLamb

I watched it once, then played it again, pausing as I followed her instructions, and even then, it took me two tries to get it right. She did one step I thought I could do more efficiently, but it didn’t work. I think I could put one together pretty quickly after all that practice!

10. gracielou

I may have just spent an hour of my life scrolling Etsy and the like at all the pre-made templates etc... available. Maybe in the future some of the amazing Lilypad designers would create some.

SharLamb likes this.
  11. SharLamb

I found another teacher that is really good too. She does it in shorter segments. Again, I watched several of them all the way through, and am now going back to try it myself. She actually builds her planner in Keynote ON HER CPU, which is physically easier than doing it on the iPad. How to get to each video is unclear and I can't find a link to the next ones, but you can type in
    Build Your Own Digital Planner Series - Lesson 2: Creating a Planner Cover in Keynote

and it will take you to the next lesson. Just change to whatever lesson number you want to see to get the next ones.

I didn't make the cover in Lesson 1, but here is the link in case you want to start at the very beginning:

She uses Keynote to build the bones, then (I think) she moves it to GoodNotes, which supports the hyperlinks (at least GN 4 does. I think there is a bug in GN 5...the previous planner I made with 4 works great...the one I did in 5 doesn't...the links don't work properly). I'm trying to build it on my cpu, assuming she will show us how to move it (I suspect via drop box). She also has you typing text in Illustrator. I think it could be done in PS or PSE, but I just used the text tool in Keynote, so you don't really have to use a separate program for the lettering.

LATER: Making this on my computer was a big mistake because I didn't use the Cloud, so the links didn't work. (There is an on-going bug issue with the latest versions of Keynote, which can only be solved by using the cloud version). Spent hours on this for nothing. Will try again tomorrow via the Cloud connection. It should go faster the next time? LOL

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    gracielou likes this.
  12. SharLamb

I am so weary. I hope this will be my last post! I loved the way the second planner looked, so I've spent two days trying to make it work. I could never figure out what the problem was that the hyperlinks never worked. But I didn't like the way the first journal looked as much, so I took cosmetic ideas from the 2nd video, then followed the instructions for the first video. Everything worked fine. I love the way it looks, and the way it will work for my needs.

So here's what I suspect the issue was. Katheryn (Nap Time Alternative...the pink one) had us label the tabs BEFORE we made the links. Just the whole way she did the links was way more complicated than the way Carrie did it. Carrie had us make the links FIRST, THEN label them. If I had more energy, I'd go back and try it again that way with Katheryn's tutorial, but frankly, I am past caring at this point. I have a beautiful, functional planner. Well, I will be adding some art to REALLY make it pretty, but tonight I am going to get myself to bed before midnight, and sleep like a kitten. Good night, and good-bye (on THIS topic!)!!!!
    I posted a photo of my planner in the gallery. It is quite plain right now...but give me a few days. ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  13. jenn mccabe

Oh goodness @SharLamb ... Definitely sounds like a break is in order from all that. I've seen those digital planners in Good Notes for awhile now - have been intrigued - but I just love playing in my tangible planners so I'm sticking to that for now. Enjoy decorating/playing ... and leave the techy stuff be for awhile. You need to replenish your creative energy girl! (the techy stuff can wipe us out, huh?!)

Hope you slept well! :)

14. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

@NBK-Design @SharLamb @gracielou
    For someone thinking about taking the iPad plunge - can you recommend what someone needs to scrap on it as far as memory etc.

15. SharLamb

Since graphics are involved, I just got the one with the most memory. I don't know the numbers, or what is recommended. I just did not want to be sorry I didn't go bigger. There may be others out there that have a better handle on the whatever-bytes (????!!!!!), so you may want to start a new thread asking about that, or google it. Sorry I can't be more help.

norton94 likes this.
  16. NBK-Design

NBK-Design Designer

I have a iPad Pro 10,5“ with 256gb plus the Apple Pencil.
    What I recommend really go to a shop and check out the different sizes for you. For me the 12“ was too much. Too heavy and I came to the 10,5“. It fits perfectly into a girls bag and when you are on a train or plane you have a size that isn’t too small but not as big your neighbors place is involved.
    I took the highest size with 256gb to be really able to load a lot of collections and have them available wherever I go with or without wifi. I don’t have the WiFi one. Because when you are on the go and would like to scrap on iPad the files are so big that loading them each time via WiFi is really time consuming. Better pay more for the highest possible storage than WiFi.
    I just checked out the apple shop and there is the iPad Air 10,5“ for about $649. + the pencil. Which I think is a must have using procreate without a Apple Pencil is really the half fun.

Nicole | NBK-Design

norton94 likes this.
  17. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!!

18. gracielou

I bought the largest screen iPad Pro with 256GB. I store all my scrap stuff on my iCloud subscription. I also have the Apple Pencil and I could not scrap without it.

norton94 likes this.
  19. SharLamb

I'm baaaaaack! I got an e-mail from Teela Cunningham this morning, offering a FREE course in Procreate for beginners. I feel like there must be SOME catch, but after thoroughly examining the promo (including a question about possible "catches,") I've signed up. I'm sure there will be promos for her supplies/creations/brushes/etc., but I'm okay with that. Since there is a limited market selling ProC tools, it will be good to know. Her "hang out" is called Every-Tuesday, so you can probably Google it if you're interested. Or send me a PM & I will send you the link. I looked at the overview, and in just the first sort of introduction video, I learned several things. Her primary gig is lettering, but the course looks to go far beyond that, encompassing most, if not all, the skills needed for doing scrapbook pages.

This is adding a FOURTH class I'm in the middle of right now...2 on iPad/iPhone and 2 on my computer. Good thing I don't have a job, or kids, or pets to care for! I don't have time!

UPDATE on my Journey Toward Paperless: I've been totally using the Notebook/calendar I created with Keynote>GoodNotes for a couple weeks now. I'm learning to love it. Biggest problem is that I sometimes take my iPad out to the family room or patio, and forget to bring it back to my office, which is where I've always kept my calendar and spiral binder. Not a huge problem, and gives me a little exercise when I go to fetch it! LOL One of the benefits is that my iPad can be charging all the time it sits next to my keyboard, because I have it plugged in to a charging cord. The pencil still needs charging, of course, but since the pad itself is always charged up, I can charge the pencil quickly any time.

norton94 likes this.
  20. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

my mind went there as well, lol

cfile likes this.