Procreate

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SharLamb, Apr 19, 2019.

1. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I'd like to hear your stories about Procreate. I'm about to make the "plunge" ($10 is hardly a plunge, and I can't believe the cost is so low! I'd expect it to be 10 or 20 times that much for all it does).

Did you take on-line courses on how to use it? Which ones? I don't plan to DRAW per se, but hope to use it for scrapping. Do you actually USE it for scrapping? How?

I'd love ideas on how you use it...how OFTEN you use it, etc. Anything you think would be helpful to me.

TIA!

jenevang likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

you are going to laugh Sharron... unfortunately I have never heard about this program. I was thinking something else and didn't understand how you wanted everyone's stories about that... LOL Sorry .. I hope you get some info on the Pro-Create software and not re babies :) Hugs!

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My mind went to the same place, Christa. :lol I've never heard of that program either.

cfile likes this.
  4. cfile

I really needed the giggle too Cheryl :)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  5. SharLamb

ROTF...I'm so far past that, it never crossed my mind...and with 3 kids and 13 grandchildren, that has never been an issue in our family!

And, BTW, it is an app for the iPad Pro.

Tronesia, Cherylndesigns and cfile like this.
  6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I'd love to try it but my iPad isn't a Pro and I can't see upgrading it any time soon. :eyeroll

7. cfile

Well we all got a giggle then!! Thanks re the iPad Pro info .. we have an ipad but not a pro and I only watch movies etc on it if we are away! Good luck with info!!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@NBK-Design I think has a video on getting started with Procreate. Perhaps she can answer any questions you may have? And I know her YT channel link is in her signature, so maybe you can check out her videos.

Danyale likes this.
  9. SharLamb

Thanks Sara. I’ll check it out.

Tree City likes this.
  10. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I just downloaded it myself after Christmas on my Pro. Ashamed to say I had a few glitches getting started and walked away until I could focus more. Haha!

11. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Heck, I was thinking baby stories were coming too! :giggle:giggle:giggle

[​IMG]
    Sorry, I'm no help with the program :giggle:giggle

Karen, cfile and Cherylndesigns like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I haven't heard much about Procreate. I've heard more about Affinity.
    @Li Li Wee Don't you app scrap?

cfile likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

My friend has a new iPad Pro and the Apple pencil as a gift I think from her daughter. I told her I'm going to see that she gets Procreate because right now she's drawing in Notes and has no clue where they are on her iPad. She's not terribly computer savvy so I'm going to get a pencil too (for my old iPad Pro) and drag her to an Apple class!

btw, she designs greeting cards of her terribly detailed doodles - by hand.

Tree City and bestcee like this.
  14. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I scrap entirely on my iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. I tried procreate first and could not get the hang of it but eventually went with Affinity photo and it is so much like photoshop. I took a class at scrapaneers that taught me the basics with affinity and then just googled everything else I wanted to know how to do and a lot of trial and error. I do not know of a class right off hand on procreate but I’m sure there is one somewhere. Do they have a forum on their website? I learned a lot about Affinity through their website forum.

15. SharLamb

OMG, Maureen! Your doodling friend will ADORE Procreate. Amanda, my problem with Afinity is that it is SO CLOSE to PS, but "the opposite" in some functions so much that I'd get confused and frustrated. Maybe I should have stuck with it longer.

I have found some decent youtube videos, and there is built-in tutorials as well. I'm optimistic.

I couldn't make the URL work, but here is the link to the page I made: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/procreate-nbk-heartandsoul.393032/

gracielou and Tree City like this.
  16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I've been on the fence thinking about getting procreate for my iPad for awhile now. I do think lili uses it - if you follow her on FB or IG she usually posts videos of her work on her iPad and she has several here in the forums.

My problem is I never seem to have much time to create these days. Maybe learning to do it on my iPad will make me do it more, since its so portable vs my desktop no working laptop anymore)? IDK.

For $10 it can't hurt to try. I think Affinty looks really cool but isn't that one a bigger investment? I was watching NBK's videos while at the salon sitting under the dryer last weekend. :D I'm gonna check out your page now Sharon. So does this mean you got the app? If so - do you like it?

17. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I totally understand. After having used Affinity for so long now I can not remember how to use photoshop LOL. It takes me forever to do the simplest tasks in there now. Your page looks amazing! You are no doubt gonna rock procreate. Are you loving creating on the iPad? I know, myself, I am getting more pages done than I ever have since I can pretty much scrap anywhere. My favorite is scrapping sitting in car rider line to pick up my oldest. It makes it so much more enjoyable having to wait. I am eagerly awaiting when adobe drops photoshop for the iPad though. It’s scheduled for 2019 and I am constantly checking. I will make the switch back to photoshop when it arrives.

18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I think the plunge is the iPad pro. LOL!!! I want one so badly, I also want a unicorn!

keepscrappin, jk703, norton94 and 4 others like this.
  19. SharLamb

Yes Dalis! The iPad is "the plunge." My DH golfs. I do too, but not even 1/4 the amount he does. So he is always almost anxious for me to spend my "Golf Money" on MY passion--digital art. He knows he will never get any criticism or complaint from me about his Golf Budget! LOL The iPp/Apple pencil was a no-brainer! AND, he got the hand-me-down older iPad I had been using. My golf clubs, on the other hand, are QUITE old! LOL A unicorn? You don't have to feed, groom, or "clean up after" an iPad. Go for the iPad! ;) Oh that's right. Unicorns probably don't REQUIRE feeding, grooming, or, well, you know. ;)

Gracie, I'm not to the point of loving to scrap on the iPad yet. But I love the NOTION of it! And I'm dazzled by what it can do after watching dozens of YouTube videos. I need to put in more time before "loving" happens, I'm afraid. I don't have any wait-time-queues any more, so am more interested in getting comfy with it for when we're traveling and I'm away from my cpu. My DS has agreed to let me have one of his old laptops, so if he ever comes thru with that, it will be tempting to just take it for scrapping (along with an ehd to store my supplies). But I'm not a very good TV-watcher (I fall asleep), so having my little (12") iPad on my lap will be fun...something to keep me awake w/ the TV show running in the background. And I'm with you on the PS for iPad. I spent the $10 on Procreate because I got impatient waiting for it. AND there are some things in Procreate that are actually superior to PS! Heresy, I know!

I'm also excited about making some of my own word art with Procreate. I've watched some demos on lettering, and it looks like something I could do once I learn the mechanics. The brush selection in Procreate is mind boggling. Everyone is so proud of the easy way it is to make your own brushes with it, but I can't even imagine needing more brushes than it already has. I have hundreds (no, THOUSANDS I think) of brushes on PS, and always go to the same dozen or less!

20. SharLamb

PS: I'm also very excited about creating art journal pages on Procreate...playing with BG papers and artsy bits and elements, then hand-writing titles and journaling. Now THAT should be relaxing!