Subscription Recommendation: Scribd

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by busywoman139, Jan 12, 2019.

1. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

Hi ladies! Popping in here to check on the 2019 book selections - they look great!!! I know many people have mentioned long hold "lines" in several posts so I wanted to share Scribd as a decently priced subscription option. It's $8.99 (USD)/month for unlimited reading & listening (including audiobooks, ebooks, magazines, public documents, and sheet music). They don't have every new release, but they have quite a few. Sometimes they have the audio but not the ebook or vice versa. Even so, I have felt their service is a great value! Of the current picks, they have Where the Crawdads Sing and Becoming (both on audio).

There is a 30 day free trial (2 months free if you use my referral code but absolutely NO pressure to do so; I'll post it here if anyone is interested). Between the library and Scribd, I haven't purchased a book on Audible in almost 2 years!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  2. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I'd love your code & I'll check it out as soon as I finish my next book. At least it'll be good to listen to the two bookclub books during the free trial! :D

busywoman139 and bestcee like this.
  3. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I've heard of Scribd but haven't gotten around to trying it out. I didn't realize it was less than $9.99 (the Kindle Unlimited price.) I'd love to check it out if you can send me your code. Thanks!

busywoman139 likes this.
  4. busywoman139

I will send it your way, ladies!

EHStudios likes this.
  5. busywoman139

6. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

7. EHStudios

A lot of the ones from last year are on here too. I'll try to catch up!

busywoman139 likes this.
  8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@busywoman139 I'd love the code please. I'd like to check that out. Not sure what content will be for us here in Canada but it's worth a try. Thx for this, I'd not heard of this before.

Got the code, thx. Have downloaded my first audobook. Yay!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    busywoman139 likes this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm so stoked....I download April's book "Becoming". I'm going to listen to it when I'm driving. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to how long you have a book/audio?

busywoman139 likes this.
  10. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I've subscribed for years. Honestly, I rotate between Scribd, Audible, Kindle Unlimited, & the library. Can you tell I like books? I actually scrapped a page about it a few years ago!
    [​IMG]

Karen, bestcee and busywoman139 like this.
  11. busywoman139

@bcgal00 no time limit on how long you have a book!! :)

12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Love that, that makes it worth my while to pay monthly free b/c with my local digi library, we only get content for 3 wks and since I'll probably only listen when I'm driving it could take me all month to listen to a book or longer, as I'm on the road much. So that is a great feature. Yay. Thx so much for sharing your code and giving us this info. I never would have pursued this otherwise :)

busywoman139 likes this.
  13. busywoman139

@jesskab I did the same - rotating between all of those! I only go to Audible now if it's an audio I can't find on Scribd or at the library - which is rare.

jesskab likes this.
  14. busywoman139

@bcgal00 YAY! I'm so excited for you!

15. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I've heard that the limit is on books you've favorited/wishlist flagged in Scribd. So... if you dont flag anything for your wishlist, you may have more available. Idk. Ive not tried Scribd. My preference is to keep the audiobooks, so I haven't tried it. I need to though, since Scribd is cheaper than my audible subscription! :giggle

jesskab likes this.
  16. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

The terms have changed so many times, I'm not exactly sure what they are now. I generally pick a series & go between all the accounts. Not one account seems to have everything I want available.

Kristina, aren't you a student? The student price for Audible is $9.99/mo. If you don't have the student plan, cancel the existing plan & sign up under the student account. Unidays always shows awesome student discounts available.

bestcee and klee73010 like this.
  17. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Thanks! I will look into that!! I am currently paying for the 2 credit/month plan so each credit works out to about $9.50. If i can find the student option, it may be cheaper.

18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Ugh....so frustrated. I was so excited to listen to "Becoming" on my iphone as I was driving around, running my errands tonight. But after about 5 minutes, finishing a chapter, it muted and I couldn't get any volume, then it froze. I tried a few times to open and close it and then it finally started working again when I was almost home.

Sure hope this doesn't happen a lot. I thought once you downloaded it, you could listen through iphone without being on wifi. Luckily, its a free trial so I'm not going to lose out on any money but dang....I was hoping this would work.

19. EHStudios

I know I was listening to Where the Crawdad's Sing on my way to town today. I started it when I was still at home on WiFi and I don't think I've "Downloaded" it either. I was thinking it was going to cut out because of that, but maybe I haven't changes my settings to not use Data yet.

But it did work. Using iPhone here.

Still trial for me. And since I just subscribed to kindle unlimited, I might not subscribe officially to this one just yet even though they have a really great selection and better price. I'll get the most out of the trial though! lol

20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Wait, what?!?!? I didn't know this!

KellyM likes this.