Great to be Here, Any recommendations for new scrapbooking software

Discussion in 'The Welcome Pad' started by James Skintauy, Oct 9, 2018.

1. James Skintauy

James Skintauy New Member

Hi All,

I am Jim with Angel Dog Photography. I love using scrapbooking software and kits for making marketing materials for my photography business. I am glad I found this site because the forum contains all kinds of useful information!
    I use Craft Artist 2 which is now obsolete software. I am fine continuing to use it, but would like any suggestions for new software.
    I know I can use the kits you sell for Craft Artist, which is great. Also, I noticed that many of your artists have very good terms for commercial use by small businesses. I really appreciate that.
    Looking forward to responses regarding software and purchasing some new kits for the upcoming holidays.

Danyale and jesskab like this.
  2. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Hello! I would recommend Photoshop Elements. They just released 2019 edition.

Adobe also offers a subscription service called Creative Cloud where you get Photoshop, Lightroom and 20gb of cloud storage for $9.99+tax a month.

jesskab likes this.
  3. James Skintauy

Thanks for the reply. I have a Creative Cloud subscription and use Photoshop for stuff like this often. That said, dedicated scrapbooking software is often faster and easier (for me) than using Photoshop. I am an expert Photoshop user specifically for photography (compositing, retouching, etc.), but find doing layouts and creating graphics tedious. I know that is partly because I don't do it that often, but that is unlikely to change. Any recommendations for something other than Photoshop / Photoshop Elements?

4. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Artisan is what I use. It was designed specifically for scrapbooking.

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hi James! Welcome to TLP!

I see you have Photoshop, which I would say is what many people use here. Then, Judy recommended Artisan - though it might be called Forever now.

Here are a few that come to mind... but I don't have any background in them though.
    Memory Mixer
    Affinity Photo (ipad)
    Pixelmator (Mac)
    MyMemories
    Scrapbook Max
    PaintShop Pro

jesskab likes this.
  6. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Artisan is sold by the company Forever.

jk703 likes this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Welcome!

Most of us here use Photoshop products, but as you can see above, there are quite a few other programs that are available as well.

If you have PSCC, then you have access to a powerful scrapbooking tool! It's super easy to use, especially if you are already familiar with the interface and tools.

I host a live chat/scrap once a month (the second Monday of the month) if you would like to attend to see my process OR you can view process videos on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/WatchCherylScrap

Hope that's of some help to you! Happy Creating!

8. James Skintauy

Wow, that's awesome. Watched a couple of your videos. Maybe I will just work with PS. I will check out some of the others people suggested as well.
    Thanks everyone.

bestcee, Karen, cfile and 1 other person like this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

You're welcome! There are a lot of scrappers here so we can usually answer questions about your program, techniques, etc.

Tronesia likes this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Hi James, welcome to TLP! Cheryl's videos are great, aren't they? Hopefully you give PS a try because so many tutorials are written for PS/PSE, and you already have a working knowledge of it, which should help.

Having said that, hopefully you find the program that works best for you!

cfile and James Skintauy like this.
  11. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Greetings James - welcome to the Pad!! I am one of the few that use Corel Paint Shop Pro … I downloaded the trial software 9 years ago and never looked back! I have upgraded to newer editions throughout the years … it has everything I need to scrapbook -
    Good luck with your decision and I'll be looking forward to seeing you around the forums and gallery!

12. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Welcome to TLP James, some great suggestions already. I mainly use Elements 14 but have been using my PS CC 2018 a lot lately. As well as Cheryl's videos, Leah of Mommyish Design creates some super actions and styles and also has a lot of tutorials on her website HERE and Nicole of NBK Design has a YouTube channel that has a lot of wonderful tutorials for Photoshop as well. Have fun and hope you share with us any creations you make using TLP products. :)

13. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Hi Jim, and welcome to the Lilypad. I'm another Photoshop CC user here, and I love it for scrapbooking.

14. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

Welcome James! There are some great choices mentioned above. As a designer I find myself in PSE more often than any of my other design programs. I guess I am like you, once you get comfortable in a program it's hard to switch it up. Haha!!

Lots of information for you here and Cheryls videos are amazing. Hope you find inspiration!

15. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jim!
    For me, there is nothing better than Photoshop....

16. James Skintauy

17. James Skintauy

Yes, the vids are great. I will try a couple of the programs suggested and look over more videos. We'll see what happens. I use PS constantly for photo editing and some for creating layouts so I am pretty familiar. If I go that route, I mainly need to speed up.

Danyale and cfile like this.
  18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Wow! I had no clue there were so many scrapbooking-specific programs available.
    When I first heard of digital scrapbooking I read that people were using Photoshop the most -- it was 2004 or 2005, so back then I'm pretty sure there weren't any digiscrap-specific programs yet -- so that's what I went with. My husband had a copy of Photoshop I used for my first efforts. Then I spent a decade with a few versions of Photoshop Elements. And I also got serious about photography. I have never gone far in my photo editing with Photoshop though; instead, I prefer Lightroom. But when Adobe Cloud came about, I switched to the photographer's version (PS+LR), because I read that Lightroom would soon go Cloud-only too. Now I use full PS for digiscrapping.

If you already are proficient in Photoshop I would suggest just using that. I have made many flyers and programs and signs in Photoshop for things like my daughters' theater productions and musical performances. I made my daughter's business cards in PS too. Definitely a great program for any visual item you want to create!

19. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Welcome. Since you already have PSCC - you really do have everything you need. I use PSCC to make ADs, graphics, marketing stuff all the time! Anything visual really. My daughter has a project right now and I'm teaching her how to do everything in PSCC - FB covers/ads/biz cards/brochures/info sheets. It just feels natural to me now.

Watching our PS pros - aka Designer/Scrappers like Cheryl's Live events (mentioned above) or Lynn G (her channel is HERE) will get you familiar with using PSCC as a scrapbook tool. If you like working with styles or want to learn more about using them in PS check out Mommyish's channel too.

Feel free to ask in the forums too! Welcome!

20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Welcome to The Lilypad Jim! I'm glad you found your way here. I did have to chuckle though... normally people asking for software want to start small and are too intimidated by Photoshop and here you are already an expert user with CC subscription! That's awesome! You're 10 steps ahead already!