Suggestions for Sept-Dec 2018

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What!?!?! I can't believe it's time to be thinking ahead to the last batch of books for 2018!?!! Where did this year go? Wowza!

Anyway since it's going to be August before we know it, let's start thinking about our next batch of book club selections. Anyone can make a suggestion and I'll keep track of them here. Once we get 10 recommendations, I'll start a new thread to vote on the top four.

Let's keep it to one suggestion per person for now because when I do the poll I can only have 10 choices...

I will keep this thread open until August 1st or until we get 10 recommendations to vote on. Sound good?

So... what should we read together to finish up 2018?

Suggestions:
    1. You Me Everything by Catherine Isaac
    2. Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
    3. Ghosted by Rosie Walsh
    4. 84, Charing Cross Road
    5. The Last Time I Lied
    6. The Designer, by Marius Gabriel
    7. Missing Isaac by Valeria Fraser Luesse
    8. The Ones We Choose by Julie Clark
    9. This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel
    10. One of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    amien1 likes this.
  2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Karen likes this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Ok so i borrowed Rainbow Rowell's Carry On from the library the other week and it's due back in the next month - was going to suggest it here but i just went to find it on goodreads to link and saw @ mrs2a50 's review and now i dont think i should waste anyone's time with it - it sounded a bit harry potter-ish - the reviews are very polarised- has anyone else read it and wants to weigh in? (i didn't know anything about it, i may have just picked it up b/cos, well, rainbow rowell i've liked before ) - sorry Karen for the 'maybe' suggestion !
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32768522-carry-on?ac=1&from_search=true

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

So I haven't read Carry On, but I did read Fangirl which is I guess like the prequel to Carry On. In Fangirl the main character talks about writing fan-fiction and talks about writing Carry On. I really liked Fangirl and am a huge Rainbow Rowell fan, but I also saw the review from Julie and decided to pass. Lol. I can put it on the list if you'd like to give it a try together. We could bash it together as a group if it's really that bad... or maybe be pleasantly surprised together? :giggle

5. southernmother

southernmother Headed to SB for some cold brew & coconut milk

Karen likes this.
  6. Karen

Ooh... that does look good! I've added it to the list! :) Thanks for the suggestion.

southernmother likes this.
  7. Karen

I'm going to throw this one on the list because Tracy @tkradtke says it's her favorite and it's been on my list to read for a long time already. I need an excuse to get to it. :giggle

84, Charing Cross Road

[​IMG]

southernmother likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Bwahaha - maybe we leave my suggestion out of the vote if there's more than 10, I should start it early next week & will see if I can bother finishing it & come back with a thumbs up or down- I haven't read Fangirl so I have no background going in, it just had a nice font and coloured silhouette cover!

Karen likes this.
  9. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Karen likes this.
  10. Karen

Look at you judging a book by its cover. Lol. I’m guilty of that myself.

southernmother and bellbird like this.
  11. Tanyia

Tanyia Active Member

I love to read, Im not sure I have anything on my list worth recommending for a group but I am looking forward to potentially reading along in the future.

Karen and southernmother like this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Karen and MrsEm like this.
  13. Karen

Yay! The suggestions of all looking great!

That looks good! I love a good thriller, but I tend not to pick them for some reason and then I read one and think I should read more like this! :)

We read all kinds of things so if there's anything at all on your list or one you've been meaning to read for awhile and need an excuse (like my pick this round) go ahead and jump in! :) I'm glad you're interested in reading along with us! : )

This looks interesting too and I feel like maybe I read the blurb on this before. :)

MrsEm and Cherylndesigns like this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

It's really good! My hubby liked it, too. We love reading books from that period, though. The Ocean Liner by Marius Gabriel is very good, too. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35906825-the-ocean-liner

MrsEm likes this.
  15. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

OMG, just no. A thousand times NO! :lmao

Karen and bellbird like this.
  16. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm about 100 pages in, I haven't read the real Potter but having read a lot of young teen books, I wondered after the first chapter if it was aimed at them but then the language isn't exactly kid friendly; it's annoying & a bit painful & I'm thinking I gave it a go (I'm not quite a fifth thru & thinking I'm just gonna let it go as one of few books I DNF. Don't bother Karen, I'll find a new one for suggestions

mrs2a50 and Karen like this.
  18. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I just adore this book! Just a thought here... it is a super fast, easy read. It could always be saved for a busy month like January during MOC.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

20. Karen