knclark

Wind Rivers MOC10D26

Wind Rivers MOC10D26
knclark, Jan 30, 2022
Description:
Lynn Grieveson Perfect Panorama Template
Kristin Aagard Outdoorsy Hiking and Outdoorsy Fishing

Word Count 448
When I was a teenager, the most memorable young women’s camp we did was to backpack into the Wind River range in Wyoming for 2 nights. All our other camps had been in cabins. This was the only real hike and campout we did. The leaders prepared the girls by doing walks in the weeks leading up to the campout. I helped plan out our meals. I remember being shown the trail we would take and leading those of us that moved faster toward our camp location. I loved it and loved hiking to the different lakes surrounding our camp area. In recent years I have been trying to find where we started from for that camp.

Last summer, Chris and I hiked the Cirque in a day – but it was not the area we did our YW’s camp. Ty was going camping with the YM around Green River Lakes in the Wind Rivers and he needed hours driving, I drove up with him. But this was not the area we started from either. I spent the day hiking the area on my own. I knew roughly where I was and had a rough idea of the trails, but had not really studied where to hike. I started by hiking around the lower Green River lake on the Lakeside Trail. I passed a group that said there was a waterfall, so I set off in that direction. I got a little off trail when the trail crossed water, but I didn’t see it and continued on a trail that waned out and I ended up climbing rocks and down trees. As I made my way back to the trail, I ran into another couple and crossed with them and hiked Porcupine Trail until it split for the Shirley Lake Trail, but then decided to return as I wanted to hike toward Squaretop Mountain. As I was coming down Porcupine trail, a bird flew close to my head. Apparently, this Falcon (I believe it is a falcon), thought my red bandana looked good as it dive-bombed me 3 times before I decided put my hat on to cover my bandana. It worked, I didn't see him again.

After coming down from the trail that followed the falls (didn’t really see any falls), I crossed a clearing, then a bridge and got on the Highline trail and walked around the upper Green River Lake. Then I decided I better head back to the car. I thought I might run into the Young Men, but didn’t see them. I finally got into service about 5 PM and Chris was wondering where I was. My phone said I did about 18 miles.
    • cfile
      oh wow this is beautiful and what a wonderful place to hike! So glad not only in your youth but also now, did you get to take in the natural beauty of this pprestine part of Wyoming. It looks exquisite from your photos, and I would love to enjoy that! So funny with the Falcon. Glad you had a hat to put on as that would have hurt!

Thank you for sharing and playing along with MOC day 26 Rememberance/Tribute challenge. Well done!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 10
    Uploaded By:
    knclark
    Date:
    Jan 30, 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    335.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).