meagan43

The Halloween Tree

The Halloween Tree
meagan43, Jan 31, 2021
Description:
MOC 2021 - January 29 - Just the Highlights
1. You must have at least one photo- I have 2
2. You must write at least 150 words of journaling. - I have 421 words
3. You must take between 5 and 10 words of that journaling and highlight them or make them stand out from the rest of your journaling. I have 9 unique highlighted words, but also Disneyland is highlighted 8 times and Halloween Tree is highlighted 3 times with one word art and one time with special font and bolding. Halloween is highlighted 2 different ways.
Uses:
Sahlin Studios & Britt-ish Designs - Project Mouse Halloween Collection, plus Classic
Lynn Grieveson Designs - The Look Templates
Journaling reads:
The first time that I heard about the Halloween Tree in Disneyland was probably shortly after its dedication in 2007. I have always loved Ray Bradbury and not just for his work on Fahrenheit 451. I actually first discovered Martian Chronicles in high school. His spooky and interesting (and sometimes dark) stories were right up my alley. I had the opportunity to meet the legend in 1997 and got my picture taken with him and a signed copy of his book Quicker Than the Eye. What I discovered was that Ray Bradbury had a long history with Walt Disney! Two of my favorites had a special friendship? In 1958, Ray wrote a letter to The Nation Magazine, defending Disneyland when he read an article called "Disneyland and Las Vegas" that was less than flattering. He spoke up for Disneyland in other articles as well, proclaiming that, "Disneyland liberates men to their better selves." Ray and Walt consulted each other periodically and Ray continued to work with the Walt Disney Company after Walt passed. Bradbury helped develop the original script for Spaceship Earth and advocated for EPCOT Center to be opened. Bradbury also wrote screenplays for 2 Disney films - Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. Ray Bradbury's love of Halloween began as a child watching the 1929 Silly Symphony short The Skeleton Dance. In 1972, he published The Halloween Tree, which tells of the adventures of a group of trick-or-treaters who learn about the origins of the holiday while searching for a missing friend. Like all good Disney stories, "something goes terribly wrong," and they end up encountering a mysterious character next to a tree filled with jack-o-lanterns (hence the name of the story). The Halloween Tree serves as a metaphor representing cultural Halloween traditions. Bradbury dreamed of having a Halloween Tree at Disneyland and on All Hallows Eve 2007 (the 35th anniversary of the book) the Frontierland oak was given a makeover and his dream came true! The tree is decorated each Halloween with twinkling orange lights and hand-painted jack-o'-lanterns hanging from its branches. "I belong here in Disneyland, ever since I came here 50 years ago." said Bradbury at the dedication ceremony, "I'm glad I'm going to be a permanent part of the spirit of Halloween at Disneyland." The plaque at the base of the tree commemorates the night's celebration. Bradbury visited the tree several times before his passing in 2012, which made our visiting the tree that same year, all the more special.
    • ArmyGrl
      I did not know the Halloween Tree was a thing! Wow! I remember this challenge from MOC - its a great one - and your purple highlights are fabulous as are the different fonts.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    meagan43
    Date:
    Jan 31, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    349.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px
    Date / Time:
    2021:01:30 21:02:51

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).