Justagirl

RAT OF TOBRUK

RAT OF TOBRUK
Justagirl, Jan 26, 2018
Description:
DAY 26: TRADITION/ HERITAGE (Journaling Challenge)
DEAREST DIARY ELEMENTS | Dawn Inskip
DEAREST DIARY PAPERS | Dawn Inskip
3 ALPHA PACK FREEBIE ? | Dawn Inskip

Im adding the journaling here so you can see it clearly. The date is included in my journaling :)

This photo was taken not long after my grandfather enlisted in the Army which was on the 22/07/1940. The photo is of him (right) and his best mate Charles (left). The two fought in WW11 side by side and served in the
2/17th Battalion. They were signal men so played a critical role in ensuring communication lines were set in place well head of the battlefields. Grandpa described his job in his war diaries as quite harrowing as they often
were in enemy territory well before the rest of the infantry men arrived. I have many photos of these two on R&R in the middle east. When I compare photos over those 5 short years they had both aged considerably, no doubt from the stresses and pressure of war. Grandpa fought during the Siege of Tobruk in 1941 but was wounded in the famous Battle of El Alamein in 1942 He talked often of the comradery bestowed on him and his battle buddies, many of which remained close friends for the remainder of their lives. I often think of him and the ANZACS and the sacrifices they made for us. He was a proud ‘Rat of Tobruk’ and our family are so incredibly proud of him. I love you Grandpa you were a wonderful man and I’ll always cherish you.
Rowland ‘Rowley’ Ransom Savage. b.1916 - dec.1983.
LEST WE FORGET.