grrfluudy

Mom's Sweater

Mom's Sweater
grrfluudy, Dec 13, 2017
Description:
Credit-
Allison Pennington- Cliff Notes She's Crafty Edition - Hands Knitting Stamp, Amy Wolff - December Dots and Doo-Dads - Glitter Circles, Candy Cane hearts, Wood Circle, Pink Reptile Designs - Hooked- Tiny Heart, Teal Button, Pink Crochet Flower. Pink Reptile Designs & Etc by Danyale Collab - Just My Type - Pink Reptile Designs- Solid Paper 5, Sahlin Studio and Britt-ish Designs Enamel AP Blue, Font Century School Book.

Journaling Reads -
At Gayle's work Christmas party, I wore a sweater that my Mom designed and knit a long time ago. I got so many compliments on it, And when someone asked me where I got it, I told her my Mom made it -- she answered , WAIT--Your MOM made that sweater?! Mom passed away almost 10 years ago, but all my life she was knitting all the time. She would design gorgeous sweaters like this. I guess sometimes it's hard to remember, especially since she's not here knitting -- I forgot just what a novel and special thing that was. She also made samples for a very popular designer who was selling books of his novel techniques, as well as selling her own designs, teaching knitting, finishing projects for people who got stuck, she was always affiliated with a local independent yarn store - - and was their not-so-secret weapon. She worked with gorgeous, expensive yarns that they provided. She loved it. And everyone was in awe of her. All my life, that was Mom. The way she was. Knitting needles clacking, yarn flying, incredible eye for design. In our immediate family, we always heard, "just let me finish this row", before we went anywhere or wanted her to do anything. She was amazingly talented and It was just common knowledge to everyone who knew her. Or knew of her. So, It was awesome to see her talent through new eyes.
The last year or so, I couldn't find the box where her sweaters were, and I am so glad that I found it just in time for winter and that I can share her beautiful work with people who have never seen it. And since I will be wearing the beautiful sweaters that she made, I won't take it for granted again that people just know that she was such a great designer and that knitting things like this sweater were second nature to her.