KayTeaPea

MOC9Day11- Hearing Aids

MOC9Day11- Hearing Aids
KayTeaPea, Jan 30, 2021
Description:
Day 11- Tell Me a Story
Journaling:
A few years back, I began to notice that I was not hearing things as well as I once had. I went to the ENT and had my hearing tested and found out that I had some loss, but not enough to need hearing aids.
During the time since then, I have slowly started needing to turn the sound up on the radio or tv, then began using closed captioning on the tv and Youtube videos. I struggled a lot with dialogue, as it seemed to be mumbled. The kids thought it was fun to mumble or just mouth things when I complained about not being able to hear them.
During the last year, I really couldn’t hear or understand a lot of conversations, especially when someone was behind me or when the person speaking to me was wearing a mask for Covid. I realized that I must have been reading lips more than I thought, mostly at the grocery store- (maybe because that is almost the only place I have gone during the quarantine/Safer At Home orders.)
In August, I went back to my ENT and had my hearing tested again. I have more loss now and have reached the point where hearing aids can help. I scheduled a hearing aid fitting for September. The aids helped a ton when I was fitted, but my Dr's office had very expensive hearing aids, and I was not feeling comfortable spending almost 5k on hearing aids when we have 2 kids in college and one approaching that age.
Jeff reminded me that Costco has a hearing aid center and they tend to be less expensive, so I made an appointment there in November. Jane, the audiologist, was very helpful, and she redid my hearing test to clarify my need for hearing enhancement. I had had a bit more loss just since the test in August, so that was a bit scary to learn.
I tried a few different types of aids, from the ones with replaceable batteries to ones that were totally in-canal, and decided upon these by Reston. They are rechargeable, and fit over my hear with a small part that drops down into the canal. I also got a Smart Mic which helps with phone conversations by directly connecting my hearing aids to my phone. I have enjoyed using the Smart Mic to listen to Podcasts and music without earphones or earbuds.
I ended up spending about $2200 and thankfully our insurance covers 2k. The other 200 was for the Smart Mic, which is considered an extra component.
I chose the charcoal platinum color, which really blends in with my hair now that it is mostly grey. I have been surprised with how hard it is for others to see the aids when I am wearing them. I recharge them each night, and clean them in the mornings before putting them on.
I have struggled a bit with mask straps, they tend to want to wrap around my hearing aids and I have to be careful when taking my mask off as my aids want to come off with the mask straps. Thankfully, I have sewn some masks with straps that tie behind my head instead of ear elastic straps. I guess I just need to sew some more of the tie-strap masks!
Here’s to hearing better, and being more confident when out in public that I won’t miss comments and be considered rude, not hard-of-hearing.

Supplies:
Designed By Soco- Love Triangles No.6- template https://the-lilypad.com/store/Love-Triangles-No.-6.html
Sahin Designs- Magic is You- papers https://the-lilypad.com/store/Magic-is-You-Papers.html and stamp https://the-lilypad.com/store/Magic-is-You-Stamps.html
Heather Joyce- Acetate Alpha- title (recolored) https://the-lilypad.com/store/Acetate-Alphas-No.11.html
Font- NeoBulletin Trash
mirjam likes this.
    • bestcee
      This is a fabulous story about your hearing aid journey. Those hearing aids are really cute! The Smart Mic sounds like an awesome invention! Thanks for playing in my challenge!
      KayTeaPea likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    KayTeaPea
    Date:
    Jan 30, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    245.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).