Claire Grantham

MOC9_D11_Tell Me A Story

MOC9_D11_Tell Me A Story
Claire Grantham, Jan 13, 2021
Description:
Great challenge, took me a while to think about the story and I was looking through my photos for inspiration and I saw tons of me in glasses and I thought this story would be fun.
I have worn glasses for as long as I can remember. I believe I got my first pair at about 5 years old. According to my Momma (who was told this by the next Optician), I was only supposed to be wearing glasses temporarily, but a very elderly optician gave me glasses that were too strong and they damaged my eyes. I was never really self-conscious about wearing glasses, I always made my parents buy me jazzy pairs that they hated, but I loved them. As I morphed into a teenager, I learnt how to use eye make-up to make my eyes a feature from beneath my lenses.
Fast forward many years - 28 to be precise and I was working with a girl that was about to have Lazik, I hated wearing contacts, but I had had a horrible experience. My glasses broke and I got stranded at the train station, as I couldn’t read the board to find my train home, it really shook me, so I got contacts. Hearing about this surgery got me curious, so I proceeded to go and have several consultations - some of the places were very very suspect. So, in the end, I went with the most expensive place, because you know, my eyes!
It was the weirdest experience.
Before they start the surgery, they sit you on the operating table and ask you to read the sign above the sink - obviously being as blind as a bat, I couldn’t read it. 12 mins later and the smell of cooking bacon (that is what burning flesh smells like..), I sat up and the surgeon asked me to read the sign now. For the first time in 28 years I could read something without my glasses. I cried. A lot. Hubby came to get me after the surgery and eye-rolled me all the way home, as I couldn’t believe that I could read every sign!
The recovery period is quite odd, you can’t wash your face, you have to sleep in sunnies and NO TOUCHING your eyes, because it’s an open wound - ew!
15 years later I still have 20-20 vision and as promised by the surgeon I would only need to wear readers because I have a problem with super fine print and that could only be corrected for 3 years.
I think this is the reason I am obsessed with glasses. I have tons of readers and sunnies, because they can be off the shelf and I buy them all over the place. I like odd colours and shapes. I can break them, get bored with them and it doesn’t matter, because they are inexpensive and I can also donate them to my local nursing home if I don’t want them any more or if my prescription changes.
The thing is, I think that I was born to wear glasses, they suit my face and I have always loved wearing them. So a slightly unhappy start to my glasses ‘career’ has become the very essence of me!

I used -
SwL - Winter Wisp template
Kim Jensen - Girl Friday kit
Allison Pennington - May Stuff
KarenB and katell like this.
    • CaroB71
      What a fun page! I love all those pics of you with different glasses - you carry them off so well! I can relate to your story because I also have an eye problem that could have been fixed when I was really young but the very old optician didn’t treat it as he should have and it can’t be fixed now.
    • jam-on-toast
      I can totally relate... I had the surgery 12 years ago but still somehow think that not seeing well in not seeing far. So whenever I'd notice I couldn't read a text easily, I'd move it away and nod to myself - OK, can see it, all is fine. And all WAS fine until I tried my husband's reading glasses - what a shocker!!! Love your story!
    • umyesh
      I loved reading your story! All those different pictures of you in different glasses are so much fun! I love the glittery waves on your page and the bold background color, too.
    • Saar
      Perfect as always! I love the photos and your page design. The glitter paper waves are so much fun. Love it!
    • Claire Grantham
      Thanks @CaroB71 - I am sad you had the same experience. It's really not ideal! @jam-on-toast thanks, I am cracking up here. My hubby has always had perfect vision until last year when he started 'borrowing' my readers and I was all CAN YOU PLEASE go for an eye-test.. surprise he needs readers! @umyesh @Saar thank you, so always both so kind xx
      umyesh and CaroB71 like this.
    • LoveItScrapIt
      Love your story and all the FUN glasses and photos!!! Great take on this one
    • Scrapping with Liz
      Love that story! And you look cute in all of those styles.
    • bestcee
      I love all the glasses photos! They are fabulous! I've thought about Lasik, but I didn't think it lasted that long. I may have to reconsider it. I love that you buy sunnies everywhere now because you can! Thanks for playing in my challenge!
    • Claire Grantham
      @Scrapping with Liz thank you! @bestcee do it, it is hands down the best decision I have ever made and I think that if you get readers when and if you need them the 20/20 stays intact. Thanks for your comment and the awesome challenge.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    Claire Grantham
    Date:
    Jan 13, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    508.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).