rmcabana

MOC8 Day 7 - Lost at Sea 2

MOC8 Day 7 - Lost at Sea 2
rmcabana, Jan 10, 2020
Description:
[​IMG]

Here's the second page of my 2 pager for the magazine inspiration challenge!

[​IMG]

Here is the magazine inspiration (based on one of my own magazine designs!)
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

Supplies:
Paislee Press: Aloha Elements

Journaling:
I wanted to try new things while I was in Turks and Caicos, so I signed up for a kayaking excursion. I got up early and a van picked me up to take me to Big Blue Collective. I had been there the day before for snorkeling, too!

My instructor was Rico, an island native, who was a really nice and knowledgeable guy. I was super nervous, and was not in the best shape, but he taught me how to paddle and got me into the water. It took a bit of practice and backing up into the mangroves, but I eventually got the hang of it.

First we paddled around the mangroves and saw sea turtles. That alone made my whole trip worth it. But I didn’t get a pick because my phone was in a water-proof bag. We also saw some really cute upside down jellyfish, which Rico described as the laziest jellyfish because they pretty much hang out all day upside down and let the algae they eat gather on them. And there were lemon sharks, which were pretty cool.

Next we headed over to Iguana Island and on the way we met a really big pink starfish! We stopped on the beach for some fruit and snacks. And then we got out to walk around the island and meet some iguanas. I had no idea that iguanas were so cool. There was one legendary lizard called Rocky, who was pretty used to tourists and ready to pose for pictures. It was so interesting to learn about the iguanas habitats and protections, as well as some facts about the island and T&C.

There were four of us on our tour group. On the next leg of our excursion, we were going to head to a man made island in the bay. The three others got out first and got a head start. Rico and I were following up and he thought it would be easier for us to paddle to the right of the island, even thought the other group headed left.

After paddling and looking across the bay at the same big houses for awhile, my arms were getting tired. It seemed like we weren’t going anywhere and the water was getting rougher. And it’s because we weren’t! We got stuck in the tide and were heading out to sea. Rico called into headquarters to get help. He tied our kayaks together while we waited for a rescue boat.

The rescue boat was steered by Collin, a really nice Canadian, who happened to be my snorkeling instructor from the day before! I was very happy to see him. He dropped Rico off at the manmade island where the other three kayakers had been hanging out the whole time!

So while my kayaking adventure went awry, I’m so glad I tried it. I’m really proud that I made it across the bay to Iguana Island and and it was awesome to see the wildlife and to spend time in the beautiful turquiose water.
Trish likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 8
    Uploaded By:
    rmcabana
    Date:
    Jan 10, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    146.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).