Ursula

MOC8 Day 17 - Hindsight is 20/20

MOC8 Day 17 - Hindsight is 20/20
Ursula, Jan 19, 2020
Description:
Roadtrip by NBK Design
Photo by Roland Arhelger, wiki commons
Text, please excuse grammatical errors!

After my college years, I went for one year to Geneva to improve my french and then to the USA to improve the English language. I didn’t want to fly to the US and have taken an ocean liner to cross the Atlantic. It was the SS France, a beautiful ship. Coincidentally I met there a former schoolmate and we had a great time on the boat, watching movies, relaxing, dancing and excellent food.

Arriving in New York I was very impressed seeing the Verrazzano bridge and the first buildings of New York City. Embarking went fine, I had no problems at the customs and I decided to fly immediately to my final destination Detroit where I had family members living there. From the harbour, I took a cab to the bus station in the city and went by bus to the airport. A cab directly to the airport was too expensive for me. At the airport, I wanted something to drink. Upstairs there was a restaurant with a bar, where I wanted to go. At the stair was a guard and he said, that I am not allowed to go to this restaurant. I was very surprised and asked him why and that I have a flight booked. His reply was that I was too young and not 18. Well, this was no problem, I showed him my passport and convinced him that I was 21 and then I could pass. In my home country, I always have taken a seat at the bar when I was alone and I did this at the airport bar as well. And this was my next surprise. The bar waiter came and said that I am not allowed to sit at the bar. I explained to him that my age is 21 and I wanted to stay there. Then a guest who has seen my discussion with the guard and this one with the waiter invited me to come to his table as he would like to explain the rules. The rule was that a woman without a male companion is not allowed to sit at the bar.

This was my first impression of the USA and I am still laughing about it.

Hindsight 20/20

When in Rome, do as the Romans do!

In Detroit, the minimum age was even worse, 21 years for going to a place for dancing. Fortunately, I was 21 and it was needed that I always had my identification card with me.

I had a wonderful time in the USA and met a lot of nice people.
  • There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lilypad Challenges & Scraps
    Uploaded By:
    Ursula
    Date:
    Jan 19, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    190.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).