MOC6_11_OnThisDay_Stroke

MOC6_11_OnThisDay_Stroke
bjthomas, Jan 29, 2018
Description:
MOC6 - Day 11 - On This Day
Kit: Under the Weather by Pink Reptile Designs
Alpha: It’s Not Just Black N White by Pink Reptile Designs
Journaling (511 words):
On Thursday morning, David went with me to the clinic. After asking a similar series of questions that the nurse had asked me the day before, the doctor told us that the “heaviness” that I had felt the day before could be one of three things - a stroke, a TIA, or MS. - WOAH - He immediately ordered an emergency MRI for me and sent us off to wait. We went home and got a call that the MRI had been moved up, could we come in right away? Of course, we rushed back to the clinic. They had me remove all of my jewelry. And then I was alone in the room with a giant machine and a cage over my head. I have heard horror stories of people panicking in these things, but I had an overwhelming sense of peace as I lay there allowing the machine to do its thing. And then it was done. The test results would be sent to the doctor and he would call us as soon as he had read them. So we went to lunch. And to a few stores. Trying to have some fun and ignore the questions nagging at us. Finally, the call came in. Once again, we were back at the clinic. We sat down in the room and the doctor looked at us and
said, "Well, it looks like you had a stroke.”
After allowing those words to sink in and the shock to wear off enough for us to process anything more, he continued with explaining that the MRI results showed that I had experienced a stroke over 24 hours earlier. He was pretty sure that it had been caused by a severe migraine and that he had placed a call in to a neurologist in Wenatchee and would let us know what our next steps would be. And so we went home. Our heads reeling. I’m only 40! How on earth could I have had a stroke? And since when did migraines bring on strokes? The kids came home and we gave them the news. As we were retracing our steps, one of the nurses from the doctor’s office called. He said that it had been recommended that I go to the clinic in Wenatchee overnight for observation. We immediately called some friends who were more than willing to have the kids and pup stay the night with them. After dropping them off, we started the hour and a half drive to Wenatchee. We called our parents and other friends and asked them to pray. We explained that we didn’t have many answers, but would let them know when we did. We checked in at the ER and were eventually taken to a room. I was given a gown to change in to and was hooked up to an IV and heart monitors. Throughout the night, I went through multiple tests - hourly stroke comprehension tests, a CAT scan, an EKG, a bubble test, physical therapy exercises. David stayed right by my side through everything.
Mylinn likes this.
    • StefanieS
      That feels super young for a stroke, trust you are fully recovered now though?
      Great take on the challenge, loved reading your journaling and appreciate that you have friends and family as a support and to pray.
    • HeatherB
      That must have been so scary, 40 is far too young to have a stroke. I hope everything is ok now. Loved reading your journaling - great storytelling. And I like that you are smiling despite everything in your photo. Love the doodled iv bag with the hearts. Thanks for playing along with my challenge!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    bjthomas
    Date:
    Jan 29, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    117.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).