KAPOH

MOC6 Rollers

MOC6 Rollers
KAPOH, Jan 6, 2020
Description:
JOURNALING: Many of us have driven by farm fields during the growing season and seen huge round bales of hay. Interestingly, we owe this sight to an engineer and graduate students at Iowa State University. According to "Living History Farms," in the mid-1960's, they developed a machine that could bale hay into these huge 700 lb. round bales. It is the most common way hay, which is used for animal feed, is stored in the United States.
But, not many of us have seen the weather phenomenon known as "snow rollers," large round rolls of snow that look very much like a frosty version of the hay bale. Conditions have to be just right for them to occur. You need a thin layer of loose snow on the right surface at the right temperature. Underneath, you need ice or powdered snow to form a base for rolling. Then you need wind at just the right speed, neither too slow nor too fast (Goldilocks, anyone?) I was lucky enough to see this sight one winter about 16 years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera! DARN IT!
TITLE: Rollers (winter and summer)
CREDITS: LARGE PHOTO: Pixabay; MEDIUM PHOTO: Flickr; TEMPLATE: MOC 6 2020 Scrappable Stackables - Lynn Grieveson and Nifty Pixel; KITS: "Weathered Landscapes" - Lynn Grieveson; "Heartsong" - collab; "Summer Mornings" - Sabrina Dupre: FONT: Times New Roman
    • A-M
      Wow! how interesting the information you have shared. Our hay is baled like this here in Australia also these days.You have created a lovely page using the template for this challenge.
    • Iowan
      This page brings back memories of the many years we lived in Iowa (please check out my user name and quote below it!). We lived on an acreage out in the country and the farmer behind us the would mow the hay and bale it in an afternoon. It was just amazing to watch and then, if it would snow on the bales, they look like frosted mini wheat’s. Your page is just stunning and I love your journaling. Thanks for playing along in this challenge.
    • Pups_r_Paps
      Wow - this is so interesting. I've never seen those snow rollers (of course, living in California and Florida for so long, I guess I wouldn't!) but they look fantastic. Thanks for imparting this information.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 8
    Uploaded By:
    KAPOH
    Date:
    Jan 6, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    133.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).