MOC26-Tribute
AnotherAmanda, Jan 28, 2022
Description:
MOC 26 - Tribute or Remembrance Journaling Challenge
Font - Garamond Premier Pro
Journaling - Everyone will agree that dogs are awesome. It's universally acknowledged that dogs are a bit of Heaven on Earth. The best dog ever was my dog Dixie. I remember picking her out at the shelter with my Dad my siblings. My siblings wanted to adopt Dixie's sister but since it was going to be MY dog Dad let me decide. I chose Dixie because she was quiet and shy. She was very scared. Her litter had been removed from their own for abuse.

She was black with a tiny strip of white on her chest. She looked like a squashed Labrador. She had the features of the breed but short stubby legs and a six-inch tail. She walked funny because she injured her back as a puppy and she wasn't treated until she arrived at the shelter.

For the first week or so we had her, she only moved when someone (aka ME) picked her up and carried her wherever (unless food was involved). She realized pretty fast that while we were loud (four kids will be that way) she was safe and it wasn't long before she was running around and joining in the noise.

Dixie was definitely attached to her pack (my family). By the time she was two, we didn't chain her up anymore because she wasn't going anywhere unless it was to chase the UPS truck up the road. The driver would slow down so she could bark at him and then wave and she'd come back home.

We'd go for walks up the street and the neighbors would come over to talk to Dixie. Sally two houses up called her “Fatso” in such a sweet voice that Dixie just adored her. She'd go and visit Sally's house if she was bored and saw that Sally's van was there. Sally would take her for rides if she was driving her kids to school and drive up her off at the house.

She might have been MY dog, but everyone – including Dixie – knew that Mom was in charge. If Dixie didn't want to get off my bed so I could change the sheets all I had to do was say, “Mom, tell Dixie to get off the bed so I can make it.” Mom would yell from wherever she was for Dixie to get down. Dixie would do a doggie sigh and hop down staying as close to the bed as she could so as soon as I was done she'd hop back up and go to sleep. She had her own pillow too. She was so use to hearing that I only had to say the phrase and she'd hop down (even if Mom wasn't at home).

She loved playing in the snow if it wasn't too deep for her stubby legs. She liked the rain and puddles. She knew to sit by the front door when she came in so someone could wipe off her paws. She loved running around the house and having some jump out of a doorway and scream “Boo!” and she'd run off again.

She had a stuffed bear named “Baby” who would be punished if Dixie was yelled at for doing something she wasn't suppose to do. She'd go and get her Baby and shake her head as fast as she could and then let Baby go. Baby would fly across the room. Over and over until she was over her displeasure of being yelled at. Her favorite game was to lay at the top of the stairs on Baby and look out the front door window. When things got a little boring she'd knock Baby down the stairs to see how long it would take for someone to pick Baby up and bring it back for her. If we took too long, she'd go down and get Baby herself and wait for someone to be nearby and knock Baby down the stairs again. Poor baby. Good thing Baby was stuffed.

We had Dixie for almost 9 years. She died my Senior year of college after having some issues with her heart. Every time I go home, over 20 years later, I still see her running down the steps or doing the one thing we were never able to stop, her rubbing her nose down the living room windows as she looked outside.

Dogs are awesome. But mine was the best. Simple.

Elements and Papers - Good Times (Lynne-Marie) Love You Beary Much (Pink Reptile Designs)
Style - Shadows (Mommyish)
Text layout - InDesign
    • cfile
      Amanda, what a beautiful story you have written here oof your memories of Dixie. I am smiling as I read what she would do with her stuffed "baby" and how everyone including the neighbor loved her. What personality she seemed to have.

I love the composition of your page, and the magazine style journaling. Great papers and that sweet framed photo of Dixie, priceless.
      Thank you for sharing your journaling with us and playing along with MOC Day 26 Rememberance/Tribute challenge! Well done!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 10
    Uploaded By:
    AnotherAmanda
    Date:
    Jan 28, 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    900px
    Height:
    900px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).